You added SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #28 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. The location was perfect it is across the street from johnny mercer theater. Based on previous reviews i was worried about valet parking and was going to opt not to but the guy said he had an end spot available and he would park it there; no issues with the parking. Our room was clean. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Judy at guest services gave great resturant and siteseeing recommendations. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel is located on the edge of the Historic District and allows for comfortable walks to all of the most interesting sites. The service was excellent, the rooms sparkling and the views from the top floor enchanting. I found the concierge to be knowledgeable but not totally accurate. I asked if I needed reservations for restaurants on a Monday evening and he said probably not. My advice always make a reservation in Savannah.

Room Tip: Be prepared for rather soft beds and inadequate pillows, but the bed side lights are superior.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel was built inside a historic building near the river in Savannah. It had an ultra modern design and was the perfect getaway spot for our family of four. With two teenagers, I am always searching for something cool enough for our kids, but comfortable enough for mom and dad. This hotel fit our needs perfectly. Two comfortable queen sized beds plus a sleeper sofa left room for all with no excuses for sibling fights! Having the bathroom facilities split, sink and toilet in one room and sink and shower/bathtub in another gave us privacy as well as shorter prep time in the mornings.
The hotel was in walking distance of wonderful dining and tourist spots. We never used our car.
We were on the second floor, which was the same floor as the terrace pool and hot tub. Very convenient for all of us to enjoy. I thought the pool too small, but I heard no complaints from our 13 year old son, so reading the latest John Grisham novel in peace was an unexpected pleasure.
The first night we ordered food delivered to our room. The concierge offered us a large supply of restaurants to choice from. We picked a good one, Congress Street Social Club. Best wings I have ever had...order them smoked with your favorite sauce.
We also dined at Lady and Sons (touristy, but teen friendly) and Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub. The Pub was awesome, cannot wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We traveled to Savannah after spending the weekend in Charleston, and have to say that we were just blown away by the beauty of Savannah,as well as the value of this beautiful hotel right in the historic district. Everything we wanted to see was in walking distance, and we did not use the car except to leave town for Tybee Island or Bonaventure Cemetery. We chose not to use the valet parking, but instead to use metered parking which was cheap and easy to come by within one block of the hotel. You pay nothing on weekends or after 5 pm, and you don't have to feed the meter until 8 am on weekdays. We were not automatically charged for the parking. The hotel was clean and had a business center with free printing which came in handy. The pool is located on the 2nd floor. It is small but adequate for someone who would like a quick swim. Parents can supervise older kids from the hot tub right next to the pool. It was not crowded during our visit. The suite was very spacious for our family of 5,and I especially liked that there were two separate bathroom areas-one with a vanity and shower and a separate private half-bath so that more than one person could be accommodated at any given time.Breakfast was very crowded and there were usually lines for food. I don't really mind a small line for free food, nor do I mind Girl Scouts underfoot. Their parents know a good value and troops probably choose to stay at this hotel year after year to visit the childhood home of Juliette Gordon Low,the founder of Girl Scouting, in Savannah. The only thing I did not care for at breakfast was the meat. It was very unappetizing. There were other choices though,and the staff was working very hard to keep everything stocked. I will definitely stay here again on a return trip to Savannah, which I hope will be soon!

Nauvoo, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We chose the Springhill Suites for our trip to Savannah since our children were coming with us. We were on the 3rd floor in a 2 queen bed room with living room area and mini-fridge/microwave area. Having stayed in a Springhill Suite before (Lafayette, LA), I expected the kitchenette area to be a bit larger. While on the small side, it was still adequate enough to meet our needs while in Savannah. So room size was a plus while we traveled with our 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter.
I loved that the bathroom was split, being the toilet and a small sink were in one room and the shower and another sink/vanity were in another room. We are a family used to having access to 3 bathrooms at home, so this alone made the room worthwhile!
In the room, the linens were clean and neat and were changed as requested. We stayed for 4 days and had no problems with getting replacement/clean items.
The plumbing in the toilet did squeal when flushed and then calmed as soon as the tank filled. I could have complained, but this was not a big deal for us. The carpet was dirty, with large and small spots on the floor. It needs cleaned or replaced - we wore shoes/socks the entire stay. The bathroom areas were clean as was the fridge and microwave. The living space was adequate and included a sofa that folded out to a bed (uncomfortable, but typcial of a small mattress/sleeper sofa) and a desk with multiple plugs.
Staff were great, even the valet attendents. All were very friendly and more than happy to meet any request I had. Our vehicle was brought around once during our stay and it was a very quick process.
The breakfast lacked a lot to be desired. We are on CST at home and Savannah is EST being they are an hour ahead of us. While on this vacation, we didn't set alarms and slept late until around 7:00 a.m. every morning (late for us). Meaning it was 8:00 a.m. Savannah time. So we got to breakfast at about 9:30 EST and were dissappointed with the selections being un-filled or lacking all together - some were just removed early. In addition one morning the curtain was pulled on the breakfast at about 9:45....didn't stop me or several other moms from moving the curtain and getting what we needed (breakfast was supposed to be available until 10). I had to remind myself that I brought several snacks (granola bars, nuts, etc) and that we weren't here for the hotel breakfast, lol.
It was in a great location, walking distance to everything in historic Savannah.
Overall, would I stay here again? Possibly, at least while traveling with our kids. Probably not if just myself and hubby - we would opt for a more upscale place :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We really like staying at the Springhill Suites in Seattle, and we liked this one even better. The rooms and the pool are beautiful, and Brianna at the front desk was really nice, patient and helpful. The location was closer to everything than I expected. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Franklin, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Savannah for one night and chose this hotel because I am a rewards member and typically Marriott hotels are great hotels. Sadly this stay almost changed my mind. The front desk clerk was very helpful at getting me checked in early, so I did appreciate that, but once I went outside I learned that the valet had hit the roof with a luggage rack on the vehicle in front of our car which held up our parking for a while. That wasn't so bad, accidents happen and I felt sorry for the guy.

Once in the room, we were pretty impressed with the layout and decided to go for a swim but the pool area was gross. It looked as though it hadn't been cleaned for the season yet. As a result we decided against swimming and went downtown (nice proximity). Being pretty tired when we arrived back at the room we hopped in bed to call it an evening. The bed looked clean....upon further inspection however, there were hairs all over the backsides of our pillows. I seriously think house keeping just turned them over instead of changing the pillow cases! It was disgusting. Since it was late, we just put our blanket long ways over them and laid on them that way.

During the night we could hear people coughing and the window shade next door being moved constantly, not to mention the extremely loud bathroom of our neighbors.

Breakfast the next morning was minimal. The staff couldn't keep up with the patrons and as a result the food was depleted quickly. We chose to go with cereal so we could move along quickly instead of waiting in line for fifteen minutes like the other guests were doing.

Overall, it wasn't enjoyable and we left the hotel pretty let down. We ended up paying $360 for a night that wasn't anywhere close to being worth that. It was just the little things like the housekeeping issue and noises. Breakfast was busy and that wasn't such a problem, that stuff happens. We visit Savannah annually, but next time we will probably check out another location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Danielle V, Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Loyal Marriott Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your annual trip to Savannah. We would like to apologize for your experience not exceeding your expectations. We will be sharing your comments and concerns with our Executive Housekeeper regarding your room cleanliness as well as our Chief Engineer to inspect the pool conditions. We are also actively working on creating a better flow for breakfast and have recently purchased a conveyor belt toaster among other upgrades to increase speed in the morning.

We appreciate all of our guest feedback, as it helps us to identify & improve all of our guests' experiences here. We would hate to lose you as a loyal Marriott Guest and would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Danielle Valenchis