“Worse customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District to your Saves list
Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Charlton Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Warner Robins Georgia
“Worse customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Do not stay at this hotel unless you want to take chance of being bumped from this hotel

I had a certificate for either a free Friday or Saturday night. I confirmed my reservation through the 1800 number. At check-in, I was told that my certificate had expired. I work in the travel industry, and I recommend you to steer away from this hotel unless you want to be homeless in Savannah.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Cheshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have never felt the need to review a hotel before. Usually the hotels we frequent are average for the type of hotel they are. Mostly we pick places that are tried and true - no fuss and nothing out of the ordinary, but hopefully reasonable value for money. This time we expected the same kind of stay. Residence Inns are usually clean, roomy, reasonably located, etc. However, this one was exceptional, in a good way.

Its location is good, but not great if you want to be in the middle of the historic district. It is located off Martin Luther King Jr Drive just as Interstate 16 ends. It is just barely inside what is considered the historic district. It is a walk down to Broughton Street where the shopping is and then a few more blocks down to River Street where lots of restaurants are located. Having said that, the walk is not a problem. The street is well travelled and lighted all the way. We enjoy walking so it was not a hardship for us. We were not walking late at night (after midnight) but we did not feel uncomfortable walking at night.

Parking on the street around the hotel is limited but they do have valet parking for $12 a day and it is unlimited in and out. We only took our car out one day to go down to Tybee Island so we may have been able to park on the street but opted to use the valet parking. They were very responsive when we called and asked to have our car. Less than ten minutes from the time we called till we had our car.

The hotel is fairly new and the rooms are spacious, as in most Residence Inns. The distinction here is that the individual units are situated as in a hotel, the rooms open onto a central interior hallway, not like a lot of Residence Inns where the units tend to look more like apartments and all the entrances are open to the outside. I felt like this would be a really good place for women staying alone - it felt much more secure than when the rooms are all open to the outside.

So, what makes me want to recommend this hotel when I don't normally do reviews? The STAFF! We did not encounter one surly, unhelpful person the entire time we stayed, which was three days. At the desk they were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. When we checked in they provided information about the area, without our asking. The lobby area was inviting and clean. There was an evening social time from 5 til 7 that included food (different every night - salad and chili one night, pasta one night and cheese and crackers and munchies one night) and drinks (wine, beer, soft drinks). The bartender was talkative and friendly. The breakfasts were plentiful and the staff at breakfast was outstanding. They greeted people individually, remembered people from one day to the next, made every effort to have food hot and ready. We were late getting down to breakfast the first day (arrived just before 9 and they stop serving at 9:30) and most things were gone. However, in less than ten minutes everything was filled and available. My husband is not known for his patience and one of the staff noted his displeasure. She promised him it would be right out and spent the next two mornings assuring him that there was plenty of food and he would be well fed. She handled it just perfectly. (The key was to get there a little earlier before the families tended to go to breakfast.) The point being that it could have been a negative but the staff made it into a positive situation by using humor and following through and making everything okay for the guest.

It was a pleasant experience every day and we were able to start out the day on a positive and up note, and end the day in the same way. I would definitely stay here again and have no problem recommending it to others.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Carolina, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Staff is very attentive and goes out of the way to serve you. Complimentary Valet Parking with gated overnight parking. Hotel is located away from the riverwalk area, but is next to the fare-free Savannah DOT shuttle stop to the riverwalk. Free wireless and wired Internet access. Rooms are very comfortable, with a lot of space. Hotel buildings are in a quadrangle type, with all windows facing inside. Swimming pool and patio are inside the quadrangle. Southern Type cottage rooms with balconies are also available. Some of the doors of these cottage rooms face the street.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Milwaukee WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

This new hotel is on the outskirts of the historic district. The staff was great and very accomodating. Mon-Thursday they have a managers reception 5-7 with free wine, beer and lemonade along with several appetizers. A couple of things were on the down side. The first they had on the amenities conventional oven, which was 2 on top burners. They did offer gas grills if needed. Also they have a hot breakfast spread which was really good. Since the hotel was on the outskirts, it wasnt walking distance to the river walk. They do have the DOT which now comes to the hotel. Its free and it runs to 8 or 9pm. I would like to see more businesses in the area. I would definitely return to this hotel. The service, staff and hotel were AWESOME. Everyone was professional and expressed geniune customer service. The grounds were gorgeous. We stayed in the cottages off the hotel. Very private and charming. Alot of history in Savannah!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

From the time we entered the hotel, we were guests. The staff was eager to serve and to please. They went out of their way to make sure that we were accomadated in every way. Our experience from the Manager, Desk Clerk, Maintenance Staff, Valet Parking and the Kitchen Staff was that of a Five Star Hotel and in alot of ways, better. This staff was sincere. At the end of our first day, we felt like family. We were in Savannah for our Wedding in Forsyth Park. This "team" made our stay so special that we will not hesitate to return and spend our First Anniversary there and maybe even before. My husband and I travel alot and feel that we really hit the jackpot with this Residence Inn.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This was our first stay in the Historic District--and will definitely be our return motel in future trips. Everything was tops! Even though we had a pet room and "allergy folks" in our group, the room was spotlessly clean and we had no red allergy eyes :) Great convenience in touring with trolley pick-up leaving our car parked most of the day. The pet walk area was quite large in comparison to other locations we've been. The staff was great--friendly and most accommodating. The yummy breakfast gave us a good start every day, and the suites gave us room to "live" on our trip. Provided security also gave us an extra boost of comfort, and the price range made it affordable for our trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
suebob29
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed here during St. Patrick's weekend, right after the hotel opened. There were a 'loose ends' that weren't finished--some painting, etc. not done. The staff was great and the room was nice, a pleasant surprise.

My problems started when we checked out. I was paying with a prepaid credit card that was specific to travel expenses. I was told that it wasn't accepted which really messed me up because I then had to put it on another credit card. While not alot of money, it wasn't how I expected to pay for my hotel stay. Also, I made the reservation with a specific code because it offered a $50 certificate on a future stay. I didn't receive the certificate, so I called the manager after I returned home.

When I spoke with the manager, he told me that, because they were a new hotel, they weren't set up for the certificates yet, but he would make sure that I got it. It's July and I still haven't gotten it yet, even after calling a few more times. As for the credit card issue, I was able to go to the issuer and get it taken care of that way, but I still had to leave it on the original credit card, then get a check to pay for the bill.

Mine may have been an unfortunate series of circumstances. One was not their responsibiity directly (prepaid card), but the certificate issue was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Not a good way to handle business Residence Inn!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District? Share your experiences!