“It is all good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District to your Saves list
Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Charlton Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Fort Myers, Florida
“It is all good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent stay at the Residence Inn which is conveniently close to the Historic District. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is a step up from the norm and very tasty. The happy hour is top notch with good appetizers and a good beer and wine selection. The bar stays open even after the happy hours is over with. The rooms and the pool area are both very inviting. It is also pet friendly! I would stay here anytime while in Savannah.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. I am glad that our hospitality and amenities made your visit to Savannah so memorable. We work hard at making our Evening Social special for the guests, and your kind words are greatly appreciated. I will be sure to share your comments with our associates, and we will look forard to seeing you again. Thanks again for being our guest!

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I travel to Savannah a lot. This was my first stay at the Residence Inn. I was impressed. If you are a tourist, the hotel is less than a 5 minutes walk from the historic district. If you are a business traveler, the hotel is easy to get to, offers free Wi-Fi, a decent breakfast, and afternoon happy hour. I was upgraded to a nice two room suit, which had a good living area and a separate bedroom. I was able to organize and plan my business comfortably. The room was very clean and more than suited my needs. The staff was very nice, polite and accommodating. Parking, always a problem in Savannah, was easy at the Residence Inn. Yes, you have to pay for parking, but you have to do this at almost any Savannah hotel, but I would call for my car, and it was up-front and ready for me within 10 minutes. I will stay at the Residence Inn Savannah/Downtown Historic District again.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room on an upper level, just to be off the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. The ability to relax while organizing for work is important, so I am glad that you found our suites and amenities perfectly suited for your needs as a business traveler. I will be sure to share your comments with our associates, especially our valet parking staff, and we will look forward to seeing you again when you return to Savannah!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My friends and I came down to Savannah a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoyed our stay here. The breakfast was good, and we particularly liked the "happy hour" they have during the week. They provide refreshments and light appetizers, and it was a very nice way to end the day. The staff was very friendly, and the room was very nice and clean. Will stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. I am glad that our hospitality and amenities made your visit to Savannah so memorable. We work hard at making our Evening Social special for the guests, and your kind words are greatly appreciated. I will be sure to share your comments with our associates, and we will look forward to seeing you again. Thanks again for being our guest!
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is not a bad property but its really at the edge of the historic district and you have to cross a very busy street to get any walking area. If you are like me and enjoy a walk in the historic district without taking a car this is not the place for you.
Better off with another Marriott property. For instance the Courtyard is almost within sight of this place but in a much better location.
I am partial to Marriott but there are numerous hotels where you leave the front door and you are right in the historic district and near or right on one of the beautiful squares for just about the same money.

Room Tip: We got a room facing a brick wall. Ask for a room facing the pool!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Savannah Historic District while visiting Savannah. I also appreciate you taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay.

I regret hearing that you were disappointed with our location. Our location offers our guests a quiet getaway, free from the traffic and noise of many of the other hotels in the Historic District. We are located next to the Visitor’s Center and the Roundhouse Railroad Museum, and though MLK and Liberty is a busy intersection, it is also very safe. The City of Savannah has provided a large pedestrian crosswalk that has a “talking” signal to insure the safety of pedestrians. And while there are other hotels more centrally located in the Historic District with comparable prices, we offer complimentary amenities such as our full hot breakfast buffet and Manager’s Reception that add value above and beyond what you would find at many of the other hotels.

Assistant General Manager
jrd77
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were down for the craft brew fest last weekend & had a great stay. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The restroom was clean & the shower had good water pressure.

The front desk was very helpful in terms of explaining how the ferry service worked and we were close enough to everything that we walked everywhere.

The only area of improvement would be breakfast Sunday morning. Of course, there was a last minute rush at 9:45 and instead of getting out new food, the staff just complained that we aren't there earlier. The eggs weren't replaced, nor were biscuits. I think last minutes rushes are to be expected & staff should be prepared. There was a beer Fest AND it was NCAA football opening weekend. That means a lot of hungover, hungry people...just plan for it & try not to be rude about it. We're paying $200 a night so breakfast really would be nice...

Other than that, great stay!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our hotel. I am very glad that you found our suites spacious, clean, and comfortable and the front desk staff helpful and informative. I am sorry to hear that your experience with breakfast was disappointing. We take great pride in our hot breakfast buffet and our customer service, and we usually make it a point to make sure everyone has been well fed. I have shared your comments with our breakfast attendants, so I hope when you return to Savannah you will stay with us again and have a perfect stay!
Massapequa Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is very nice.The location is good. The grounds are pretty The visitors center is a block away. The excellent Mrs. Wilkes restaurant is within walking distance . We got there early enough to secure one of the three parking spots in front of the hotel. The breakfast was very good and hotel staff accommodating.. The weekend we were there the pool was closed which was a huge disappointment. One of the main reasons we made reservations at this hotel was because of the pool. We have young children and hotel pools are a big highlight of our trips. I spoke to the manager and he was very understanding and accommodating. I have no complaints with any of what I mentioned. The disappointment was with housekeeping.To be fair, there were clean linens on the bed and bathroom was clean. The kitchen was ok-the appliances were not wiped down.The big one was when we pulled out the sofa bed, there were potato chips between the mattress and railings and a bunch strewn on the floor underneath. Now, I realize, the guest who did this is the gross one, however, housekeeping has to be instructed to pull the sofa beds out and check underneath the mattresses. It took no time for maintenance to come up and vacuum so I was happy with that .The next day, after being out until 4:30 pm, we came back to discover our room was not cleaned and beds still unmade. We did not leave a do not disturb sign on our door.Again, the same maintenance man came up within a few minutes to help take out our garbage and bring towels and soap. I suspect, he has dealt with similar problems before. For me cleanliness in a hotel room should be a priority. I would have rated this hotel 4.5 otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write a review of your stay! I apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced, and that the pool was closed for maintenance while you were our guest. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and it is very disappointing to know that you were not happy with the service you received at our hotel.

I regret that you found debris under the sofa bed and that the appliances were not clean satisfactorily. Cleanliness is of the highest priority. Both our room attendant and the supervisor missed it when checking the room and I simply cannot offer any excuse for this. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping staff to make sure we make the appropriate corrections so that future guests do not experience the same issues.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. I hope that you will return to Savannah and stay at the Residence Inn - Savannah Historic District. We look forward to serving you again and we hope that your stay will be perfect in every way!
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel is just across the street from the Historic District and the DOT bus (FREE) stops here every 20 minutes. The Arts District is just a few walking blocks away, and Mrs. Wilkes Restaurant (you must go, one person waits in line while the others go and check out the arts and design shops nearby) is in this district. Catch the DOT to go to the River area from here.
The rooms are nice (but still need some minor attention, one of my closet doors was missing, why does this always happen when a hotel is just a few years old?) but the staff is the ticket here. They KNOW their town. They are happy to help you find a place to eat, make sure you have everything you need for breakfast (included) and the front desk is friendly! Even the chief engineer (a woman! Yeah) is helpful!
The parking is reasonable in a locked gate or you can park on the street. The visitor center is one black away. The place is QUIET!!! Rooms are big for those sharing. Savannah deserves at least three days, but a weekend is good too. I will stay here again for a third time!

Room Tip: Ask for interior courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. I am glad that our location and accommodations made your visit to Savannah so enjoyable. I'm also glad you found our staff to be friendly and informative, and they were able to direct you to some of Savannah's finest restaurants. I will share your comments with the staff and we look forward to your third visit!
ri.savdv.agm@marriott.com

Been to Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District? Share your experiences!