“Right in the heart of Savannah!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District

You added Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District to your Saves list
Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Charlton Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #22 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Plano, Texas
“Right in the heart of Savannah!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay here in Savannah, Georgia. I researched a long time to find just the right place to stay and this was perfect! It is located right next to the Visitor center so as soon as we checked in I walked there and picked up information on the town.

The room was very nice and included a nice sized kitchen, breakfast area, couch and living area that was open to the king size bed. The bath room had the tub and toilet separate from the sink area which is always nice when multiple people are getting ready at the same time.

The location was excellent. The beautiful streets and squares were right by the hotel so we walked to them and enjoyed the surrounding area.

I will stay here again when we return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
burbank, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed her for 2 nights as a first time visitor to Savannah

Pros: great staff; free breakfast, free happy hour, big rooms with full kitchens, small sized hotel, so easy to navigate, free street parking, if you're lucky enough to find a space, which can happen otherwise valet is $12 a day. Hotel will also take care of your extended stay needs such as dry cleaning, food shopping, etc.

When the desk chair in my room wouldn't raise/lower, within a few minutes of calling the front desk, I had a new chair that worked. Every staff member was awesome - from valet, to front desk, to bartender, to facilities.

CON: only one, the hotel is technically in downtown and very close to key attractions, it's just that it is on the 'wrong side' of a large boulevard that you need to cross to get to everything else. Savannah is a pedestrian friendly city and each traffic light has crosswalks and pedestrian signs, but I did have to be a little more hyper vigilant when I crossed the busy intersection to get to everything. As such, this hotel is maybe better suited for someone staying for an extended period, for a short stay like mine, you might want to check out the Courtyard Marriott which is right across the street but on the 'right side' so you don't have to cross that busy intersection.

I would recommend this hotel if you like suites and/or if you have kids, there were a fair amount of children (all well behaved) who seemed to enjoy the pool and the breakfast buffet. Also this hotel seemed to be dog friendly.

Room Tip: Room choice: if you want to use the pool, I think the cottages are more convenient. I had a 4th floo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Nice hotel on the outskirts of the historic district. Very quiet - rooms are standard for a Residence Inn. Nice courtyard pool area, quality breakfast included with room rates. Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently stayed here for a national gymnastics competition with a group. This hotel is within walking distance of many things in the historical district but it iis on the outskirts of it.That is not a problem though since the free shuttle that runs downtown stops at the hotel.
I have stayed at several Residence Inns and I found the rooms at this one to be slightly larger than the others I have stayed at. My daughter and I had the studio but it was still quite large and comfortable. There are many ammenities at this hotel. The breakfast is plentiful and has many options, including a make your own waffle station which the kids loved. The pool is not large but was fine and there are pool towels provided. If they run out, just ask for more. The staff is wonderful and very helpful with a good sense of humor which comes in handy when dealing with groups of kids. They allowed us to put signs on our doors wishing the girls good luck at the competition. There is a Dollar Store within walking distance which had everything we needed to make Smores on the firepit at the hotel.
Parking is free on the street and I never had any trouble finding any and did not feel my car was in jeopardy of being broken into. There is a free managers happy hour with small snacks during the week which was enjoyable. The weeknight bartender, Crystal, is truly an asset to this hotel. She greeted many of the repeat clientele by name. I noticed this hotel is a nice mix of business people and families on vacation. I would definately recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
tulsa, ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is such a great hotel. SO clean and in a wonderful location. Rooms are new or almost brand new, spacious, clean & with a beautiful lobby and wonderful pool. It is in a great location to walk to the other Savannah attractions...restaurants are closeby. Definitely give this one a try! Loved it!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

There is nothing negative that could be posted about this place. Staff is incredible from valet, to bartender, to housekeeping and front desk. Rooms are huge and clean. The location isn't terrific but close enough to walk to everything in the daytime. We will return for sure!

Oviedo, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I want to tell you about my experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Savannah, GA. I stayed there 6/29/13 to 7/3/13 with my 12 year old daugher. We were there for my daughter's dance competition. This is the second year that we've stayed there. We checked in on Saturday and right before going to bed, I opened the night stand and found a condom box with one condom in it. I also found an opened wrapper with lubicant all in the drawer. I was so mortified by this that I did not sleep in the bed. I used the pullout couch, which had pee stains on it. At this point, I had to weigh my options of which was worse. It was also very uncomfortable for my daughter to find condoms in her room. We were both extremely grossed out by this. The next day, I notified the manager which I had to wait quite awhile for him to see me. He offered to change rooms or comp my room. I had already unpacked all my belongs which was a lot. He also told me that the customer before me had been there a month. Now, I am getting even a worse picture in my mind of the room. I decide to search the room thoroughly and I find a bar napkin with a girls number written on it. I am completely grossed out by this point. The guy in the room before me has been staying here a month bringing random girls back to his room having sex. The worst part is obviously the hotel staff did not clean the room properly. The next thought is what else did they not clean. I had the room recleaned while I was there. After all of this, when I was checking out, I requested a late check out. My friend had just asked and the attendant said yes. However, when I asked, she rudely said no. I tried to explain that with everything that I went through with this hotel, don't you think you could accomodate me? But the answer was NO. After this experience, I will never stay at a Marriott again. I travel quite a bit with dance competition and we always have several options. I will never choose Marriott again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write a review of your stay! apologize that you were not satisfied with our service. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and it is very disappointing to know that you were not happy with the service you received at our hotel.

I apologize for the items that were left in your room from the prior guest. Both our room attendant and the supervisor missed it when checking the room and I simply cannot offer any excuse for this. We did not charge you for your first night at our hotel because of this. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping staff. We will make sure future guests do not experience the same issues.

I regret that we were not able to offer a late check out to you. As I explained when we spoke we try to handle as many requests as we can however we simply cannot extend a 1:00 PM checkout to everyone, especially large groups We are more than happy to store your luggage for you and have rooms accessible for changing clothes if needed.

We enjoy hosting your group every year. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. I hope that when you return next year you will stay with us again and experience the quality service and accommodations you deserve and expect from Marriott hotels.

Been to Residence Inn Savannah Downtown / Historic District? Share your experiences!