“Best BBQ in the South” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Best BBQ in the South”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Came for lunch on a recommendation from Oatland Island Wildlife Refuge. Mind-blowingly delicious, amazing barbecue. Owners Janet and Wiley are legendary, but humble and gracious hosts for locals and visitors alike. This is definitely a well-kept secret of Savannah. If you're looking for barbecue, this is the place!

P. S. Congratulations on your 600th TripAdvisor review!

-Blake and Liz, carriage tour guides and new fans of Wiley's BBQ!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Blake and Liz,
It was a hoot meeting you guys and we sincerely enjoyed talking with you about all things Savannah. When are you coming back to hear about our ghost encounters? Even though we are not on your carriage route, we look forward when we have out of town guests to come up and be your customers. Wiley even went out and bought a whole bag of apples to feed your horses! See you soon!

91% Recommend
Fairport, NY
“GREAT place for BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Despite being in a small strip mall just off the highway outside of Savannah (heading towards Tybee Island), Wiley's offers some of the best BBQ food that you will ever have. As their many awards and trophies that decorate the inside can attest, they know what they are doing here! Odds are you will find Wiley sitting in his chair at the end of the bar too. They no longer compete, but you can see for yourself why they've won so many times through the years.

This was my 3rd trip to Wiley's in the past few years, which isn't bad considering I am from Upstate NY! (interestingly, our server has a relative up in the same area!) The first time I went with just my wife and we were looking to have some great Southern BBQ while in Savannah and reviews I read mentioned that Wiley's was by far the best in the area. We couldn't decide as to what we would have because the selection is quite large, so we decided on having the sampler plate (beef brisket, pork and chicken), with ribs. All of it was fantastic. The only downside is that the portions are so large (if you'd call that a downside), there was no room for dessert, so I don't have a review of any of those. Later the same year, I brought some friends here as we were on our way to Hilton Head for a golf trip. They were equally impressed with the food here and said it was some of the best they've ever had.

This time, my wife and I brought our daughters here for lunch when we spent a day in the Savannah area. Both of them can tend to be rather picky at times, so we were a bit skeptical as to whether they'd find something to their liking here. They both had the pulled pork sliders and they liked them so much that I've never seen them eat food so quickly!

If it is your first time here, I would recommend the sampler plate so you can try all the selections. You can't go wrong with any of the sides either. The mac n' cheese is very good, but others I've been here with have enjoyed many of the other sides on the menu too. I didn't have any, but the fried pickles and dipping sauce were also a big hit with those I've been here with.

We also always get a bottle of the Original and Extra Tingly BBQ sauce to take home with us too! It's so good!

Being rather small inside, it can fill up quickly so you may have to wait. We got there soon after they opened for lunch, so it wasn't too busy yet. If there is a crowd, it is well worth the wait though and I don't think you will be disappointed!

If I'm ever down in the Savannah area again, I know I will make a point to stop here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear PRNap,
Wow, wow, wow! All we can say is a very humble "Thank You!"
Janet and Wiley
CT USA
“If you like BBQ...this is the place to go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have to begin by saying that we sat here and ate in silence...and that's not a bad thing. Normally, we're a VERY talkative family, but the food was soooo good here, we were savoring each and every bite. The pulled-pork, brisket, ribs - wow - that's all I can say. The perfect balance between sweet and smoky. The sides were yummy too - and all homemade. The servers were cheerful and accommodating. One note: this place is in a strip mall and they don't take reservations, so be prepared to wait. This is our first stop when we return to Savannah.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Happypug,
We are so pleased that your family enjoyed their Wiley experience! Hurry back soon!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Unexpectedly Tasty.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Redneck Nachos were the bomb, according to my daughter. Homemade potatochip topped with white cheese sauce, delicious BBQ sauce, pulled pork, and chilled jalepenos. Yum! I had the burnt ends sandwich ($10.95) which was delicious yet seemed a bit pricey. Served with a bag of potatochips--why not serve the homemade chips??? Also tried the baked beans made with a variety of beans and included green pepers and coleslaw which had a sweet oil/vinegar dressing. Quite unassumming in a small stripmall with minimal amount of tables.

Visited April 2013
jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Dawnahas3,
We like the title of your review “Unexpectedly Tasty.” We are pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your meals, and hope that you will return on another visit to Savannah. Would love to serve our homemade chips with our sandwiches, but there is one really good answer…our kitchen is too small…plus, we really like the Zapp’s chips! We agree that our Redneck Nachos are the bomb!!
Wiley
Savannah, Georgia
“Expected a lot but was Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

With a great rating of #3 in Savannah, I was expecting a lot. I brought a business group here for my first try for lunch. We all got a beef brisket sandwich. It seemed very expensive $11 for a sandwich and a bag of chips. The brisket was cut with the grain, so the long stringy meat was tough and chewy. It would have been better to have cut it perpendicular to the grain, like other restaurants in the area. Flavor was good but included a lot of fat. We also each got a side at $2.75 for an individual serving. Baked beans were fine and collards were sweet. Once again, seemed expensive for what you get.
Service was fine and owner was present chiming in on comments at our table.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Wilmtrvler,
Wiley and I are sad to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at our restaurant. If all your brisket sandwiches were tough, chewy and fatty, I wish you had spoken up and alerted either me or your waitress Amy. The whole Certified Angus Beef packer that we slow cook for over twelve hours each night is made up of many muscles. The flat, as we call it, is easy to cut across the grain into perfect slices, however, there are other parts of the packer that don’t make it that easy. We are always more than happy to try to make it “right” if we are notified that there is a problem…especially when we were not that busy and I was seated only a few feet from you.