“GREAT food and location for walking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amethyst Inn at Sarah's Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savannah
Amethyst Inn at Sarah's Garden
You added Amethyst Inn at Sarah's Garden to your Saves list
402 East Gaston Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #6 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“GREAT food and location for walking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stay at B&B's because they have so much more character than a regular hotel, and this was no exception. The room was big and clean with all the standard amenities (we also had a balcony), and the location was perfect. We got up early and went for a run by some of the largest, most beautiful, and best-preserved houses in the city. We were within easy walking distance of a big park with a huge fountain, and returned in time for the best french toast I've ever had. There were lots of snacks always on hand too; it's great to have a B&B that is generous with the food!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Carmine, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Rocky and Jane are fabulous...We had the pleasure of staying at the Amethyst Inn in April for our 25th wedding anniversary. This was our first trip to Savannah and Jane & Rocky told me right away they would make reservations for dinner for us and coordinated all our activities to include tour information.... Jane & Rocky go out of their way to make your stay as stress-free an enjoyable as possible. Besides the Inn being beautiful and well located on a quite street in the historic district, very close to Forsythe Park, the best thing about our stay at the Amethyst Inn was the feeling we were in our home-away-from-home, with Jane, Rocky and their daughter Sarah treating us like one of the family. Jane is a wonderful chef and her breakfast dishes were fantastic! If you don't get a chance to sample her "special" grits, you've missed out! Breakfast is served buffet style, and there was always plenty for second, and third helpings! Some of our most memorable moments were during breakfast each morning as we shared our experiences with the other guests while we enjoyed Jane's cooking. we loved the Carriage ride, strolling along river street and city market. Make sure you sample the pralines at Savannah Candy Kitchen. Best places to eat... - Charter House - Jane & Rocky have a great relationship with the owner, and you'll get treated like royalty plus we were treated to fried green tomatos , compliment of Jane & Rocky for our anniversary ! - Thanks so much for everything you did to make our stay in Savannah a memorable one! We will be back...and are telling all our friends.

Room Tip: I did not see the other rooms.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been coming to savannah several times a year since I was a kid and I have NEVER experienced anything like the Amathyst Inn. Rocky and Jane are absolutely amazing. You can see through their enthusiasm and genuine curiosity concerning things you wanted to see and do that they truly have a passion for their job. When I arrived they had already gathered several maps and brouchers of things I might be interested in. Rocky and Jane actually took the time to write in neat places to eat and shop that were not listed on the map. They offered to make reservations. They had coupons for the pirates house and a few other places. They had so many great suggestions. Spending the past four days with them has been beyond amazing. As if their accommodations weren't enough, they if cooked FRESH BREAKFAST. The food wasnt something you could get at any Resturant. To see the dedication and concern to each guest was something I don't see very often. Jane and Rocky were up HOURS before their guests to make sure breakfast was ready by 9am. I expected to see an employee doing the cooking and cleaning but no. They did. That showed me that it wasn't just profit for them, it was their passion! They kindness they have shows through every action they make. Every afternoon my bed was made, bathroom cleaned including fresh towels, and it was done in a very precise way. I absolutely LOVED this experience. I loved it so much that I've already booked a room for this weekend and I just left this morning. If that doesn't tell you anything then I don't know what would. But hey, don't just go by my review, go see for yourself! I gaurentee you will NOT regret it!
****As for the previous review, INACCURATE. Just because they live there does not mean they know every single stores hours, so that would be your fault for not spending enough time planning. You are an adult and should relie on yourself and double check everything when going on a trip. The floor in the kitchen is in fantastic shape, as is the rest of this beautiful home. The Reeds know more about Savannah then any local I've ever met. Their price is VERY reasonable. I was in savannah less than a month ago and I stayed at a comfort inn and suites for the same amount of time and it cost me 1500 and it defiantly wasnt that special. However, for the same length of time, better service and accomadations, TRUE southern hospitality, FRESH HOME COOKED breakfast AND sweets, I paid exactly 920. If you think that's horrible pricing then you're obviously crazy.

Jane and Rocky you guys are spectacular! I can't wait to see you! Xoxo- KLC

• Stayed May 2013
Fernandina Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had changed our travel dates, which meant we were switched from a more expensive room (the only one available when we originally booked) to a less expensive one (which made me happy). Just before our arrival, our host said we'd been 'upgraded' to a suite. When we arrived, we found the suite to be two bedrooms connected by a large kitchen (but no place to eat) with a refrigerator they used to store breakfast supplies. This ran frequently and was very noisy. We were also told to pick one of the bedrooms - oh and by the way we were getting a 'deal' - only being charged for the price of the original, more expensive room. I guess they had an opportunity to book the cheaper room, so they moved us and upped our price.
The pervasive smell of dryer sheets almost, but not quite, covered the smell of mold and mildew in this ground floor accommodation. There were nails coming up through the wood floor in the kitchen.
The hosts were very friendly, but did not seem as knowledgeable about the city as I'd expect for this expensive an accommodation. They did not know, for example, that several of the sights we wanted to see were closed on Monday - and sent to other stuff on Sunday which meant we missed the things we really wanted to see. The restaurant they sent us to for lunch on Sunday only did a brunch and they had never heard of several things we wanted to visit.
In short, we will not return and feel as if I was overcharged (or a victim of bait and switch).

Room Tip: Make sure you can tolerate dryer sheet fumes. Avoid the basement level. We didn't see the upst...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rocky55, Owner at Amethyst Inn at Sarah's Garden, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
You canceled the Rose Room a few days before you were due to arrive, because you decided you would rather go to Amelia Island and then come to Savannah. We did not charge a cancellation fee although your choice made it difficult to rebook the room.

All we had left to offer you was the Hydrangea suite ($255) Because you wanted the cheapest room (Lantana-$155) and were reserved in the Rose ($175) we let you have the suite for $165 a night, splitting the difference. We felt that was more than fair, sorry that you did not see it that way. We have learned that unfortunately we cannot please everyone.

Confused about having no table to eat. If you wanted to eat in your suite a drop leaf table and chairs are in the front room of the suite's kitchen. We serve breakfast in a room that seats 16. We store all our breakfast food in two refrigerators on the 2nd level in my kitchen and butler’s pantry.

We have no mold or mildew on the first floor, nor do we have a basement (that would be sub or below ground. The first floor is ground level.) The home is built in 1888, with original cut and nails in the floor that may rise over time. My husband does maintenance on our inn full time. He fixes whatever needs fixing so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We went over everything with you when you checked in early, the same as we do for all our guests (about 2500 a year). We do however apologize about the brunch mix up. None of our other guests have had the problems you did, but perhaps our inn was not the best fit for your needs.
Provincetown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

So my partner and I planned our spring vacation. We decided to drive so we could include our 10 year old corgi. A corgi is a 30 lb dog. Ours is named Luna, and she's the best co-pilot in life and travel; evah [as they say in New England].

I had business in Savannah, so we looked into hotels and B&B's in the downtown area. Our original choice did not permit dogs, and recommended the Amethyst Inn. What a treat! Jane and Rocky are incredible hosts. Their daughter Sarah is as warm and welcoming. We only stayed one night, yet learned learned volumes on the history of the house, the city, and their family.

The Amethyst Inn is the quintessential A++ B&B. Indulge yourself during your Savannah visit with the local character and local flavor from an up close and personal vantage point. As they say, " their Painted Lady" helps add local color in the true spirit of wonderful historic places in Savannah GA.

We enjoyed historic and modern decor at Amethyst Inn at Sarah's Garden. We stayed in the Magnolia guest room. The bed was HUGE, and super comfy. Rocky installed a period detail en suite bathroom with modern touches; true comfort! Common areas are clean and show so many wonderful pictures and historical artifacts. Be certain to ask Rocky or Jane for a tour. They provide rich insight on they antique and period furniture that honors the history of the 19th Century Victorian mansion.

The inn is quiet and not stuff! There are private bath for each guest room. And though we did not see other rooms or the suites, next time we will try staying in one of the rooms with water jet tubs, or shower tub. For those that are seeking ultimate privacy, some rooms have separate sink and bathing spaces.

Oh, and let there be no mistake on these final comments - they are not final because they are least important. I make them so to leave you, the reader, with a firm and fond sense of the Amethyst Inn. Jane makes homemade granola, which is served for breakfast. I've had muesli from around the world, and breakfast options that span the globe. Jane's heavenly granola is not to be missed. We met travelers from the US and elsewhere. The Amethyst Inn is a MUST NOT miss when your travel takes you to Savannah, GA.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Magnolia room. It is up a flight of stairs, which some might want to consider if t...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Amethyst Inn from 18-21 April. This was our first trip to Savannah, so we were leaning heavily on the recommendations of our hosts, Jane & Rocky, and they came through with flying colors. Before the trip, they took the time to listen to our preferences and answer our questions. When we arrived, Jane had already coordinated all our activities to include tours, making dinner reservations, etc.... On a couple of occasions, we flexed to alternate plans due to weather, and Jane & Rocky handled each change with grace and a boundless desire to make our stay as stress-free an enjoyable as possible. Besides the Inn being beautiful and well located on a quite street in the historic district, very close to Forsythe Park, the best thing about our stay at the Amethyst Inn was the feeling we were in our home-away-from-home, with Jane, Rocky and their daughter Sarah treating us like one of the family.
Some must do's during your stay...
- Tybee Island Lighthouse (Tybee Island is a short 20-30 minute easy drive from the B&B
- Tybee Island beach
- Fort Pulaski
- Walking ghost tour
- Carriage ride (we enjoyed the group ride -- much less expensive and we liked the interaction with other folks)
- Strolling along riverstreet and city market. Make sure you sample the pralines at Savannah Candy Kitchen.
Best places to eat...
- Charter House - Jane & Rocky have a great relationship with the owner, and you'll get treated like royalty!
- The Mansion (700 Drayton) - spend some time upstairs with an adult beverage and live music before or after dinner
- Jazz'd Tapas - large selection of dishes and live music

Jane & Rocky - Thanks so much for everything you did to make our stay in Savannah a memorable one! Jeff & Suzy

Inverness, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I spent our anniversary weekend at the Amethyst Inn. We stayed in the Ivy Suite and were extremely satisfied with the accommodations. The suite was downstairs in the courtyard which allowed us to come and go as we pleased without disturbing anyone else. The room was clean, large and comfortable. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. Rocky and Jane, the owners, were extremely friendly and helpful. They made our stay there enjoyable. They also were spot on in their directions and recommendations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amethyst Inn at Sarah's Garden? Share your experiences!