“Southern Hospitality in Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Suite Experience
Ranked #3 of 112 hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, VA
“Southern Hospitality in Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Parking: Upon arrival in Savannah, we stopped at the Visitor Center on ML King Hwy and purchased a parking pass. The parking pass cost $12 for a 48 hour period. We were staying 4 days, so we paid $24. The pass allows you to park in any parking garage in the historic district and at any meter over one hour. We self-parked in the Whitaker Garage adjacent to the Andaz and had no trouble finding parking. The parking pass offered considerable savings over the $16 day garage parking and the $20 per day valet parking offered by Andaz.

Hotel: The Andaz lobby does not hold much visual appeal, but every staff member was extremely friendly. We were offered a complimentary glass of wine on arrival, and complimentary orange juice and cookies and apples were provided daily in the lobby. We came in late one evening and were given complimentary cupcakes. On request, I asked for another complimentary glass of wine and the staff accommodated me cheerfully.

Our room (611) had a king bed with sofa seating and full kitchen and a tiny balcony. The room was ample size for the two of us and we declined the offer to upgrade. The Andaz is located one block off the river front, so we did not have a direct view of the water. However, we could see the bridge off to the left and did have a glimpse of the river. Our room also looked between two buildings and had a lovely view of the treetops over Savannah. Below us, we could see the News Courtyard and the hotel swimming pool and firepit area. The refrigerator is stocked with cokes, juices, water and alcohol which is replenished daily. Chips and nature bars were also provided. All snacks in the room (except alcohol) are complimentary.

We were surprised to find the beds had no top sheet. The front desk explained this was European style, however, I've traveled all over Europe and never encountered this. In any case, I requested a top sheet and they brought a set to the room.

Location: Andaz is conveniently located to the riverfront, shoppes on Broughton street, City Market and just about anything you want to do in Savannah.

Sightseeing: We worked in a walking tour of the squares and a horse Carriage Tour which was reasonably priced at $20 per person. A short drive out of town, The Oatland Island Wildlife Reserve had a nice 2 mile nature hike where you can view wolves, deer, owls, turtles, and other wildlife.

Dining: Wet Willies on the riverfront let us sample their cocktails before purchase. Henry's on Drayton for breakfast was excellent and very affordable with average entrée less than $7. We also enjoyed Goose Feathers which has amazing baked goods. We were disappointed in Cobblestone Café and Tubby's on the riverfront. There is a Tubby's Seafood Restaurant in Thunderbolt that is much nicer. Leopold's ice cream on Broughton is worth a stop. They have memorabilia from Mission Impossible movies. We also enjoyed the burgers at B&D on Broughton.

Shopping: The honey shop on the riverfront offers honey tasting and is a great place to buy gifts to take home, as is the peanut shop. Most shopping on the riverfront was unimpressive. On Broughton street though, the Tea and Spice shop also has great gifts for the journey home. I visited this store twice. In the City Market, Byrd's cookies lets you sample cookies before buying. We brought a bunch home.

Overall, we had a pleasant visit in Savannah and would definitely recommend the Andaz for comfort, convenience, and friendliness.

Room Tip: Choose upper level room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
NLKelly, thanks for the thorough review! I am so happy you chose Andaz to be your home base for your visit and so glad you were able to see so much of our city. Hope to see you back soon, Matt

1,519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel in a great location. My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights in June and I was very pleased with everything. I cannot compare it with other hotels in Savannah but I thought that it was a very good price for such a high standard hotel. We had an Andaz loft room which was large and had a sofa and tv area. It was a little noisy so I would suggest asking for a room which doesn't have a balcony with two air conditioning grilles on it. We really appreciated the free snacks and soft drinks, which is very unusual in my experience of hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheena M, thanks for your visit from so far away! I am glad you enjoyed it, and we hope to have you back her soon, Matt
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Upon arrival everyone seemed to be too busy to help us get our bags in the door. Perhaps we just arrived at the wrong time. Upon check in, I accidentally gave my debit card instead of my Hyatt Visa, as they are the same color. She put charges on the debit and once I realized that I gave the wrong card....it was too late...she could not reverse the charges. It's not the end of the world, but she should have told me what she was doing. When I expressed my concern, the attendant looked at me as if I was not very smart and should have known this. No way to fix it...no real concern.

We arrived to our room to find the bathroom dirty. Water and toothpaste marks on the faucet. Soap scum on the soap holder, etc....

We called the front desk and they did send two ppl to the room. They were very apologetic, but it was just what I thought the icing on the cake....they did offer a deep cleaning and to add some points to my account, so I thought perhaps we just got started on the wrong foot....until we came back from dinner.

There was a reception happening, apparently a managers reception. We were not really dressed for a reception of any sorts, but we were welcomed. I never like to be out in public without my jewelry and makeup and cute shoes....but it had been a long day.

We stayed for a bit, I spoke to the chef and had a glass of wine. As we were getting ready to head up to our room, I felt embarrassed by the look I has from a few men, dressed in suits. They looked like local business men and seemed surprised that there were "tourists" in the lobby. I was already feeling out of place, their snickering made it worse. As I was getting a little top off of my wine, I asked who they were celebrating. The bar tender said they had a new GM. How exciting! I asked if he/she was there at the party still....of course they were!! Right next to us, there he was, in the group of business men, snickering at us a minute prior.
We left the reception,back to our room and are now spending the evening listening to the couple next door argue and the teenagers down the hall yell in the hallways.
It's 9pm....I took an Advil pm in hopes of falling asleep quick and getting out early.
I was so excited about this place.....so sad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Maria, so sorry you have had a poor stay and so sorry I gave you a bad impression at the reception last night. The attendance was a mixture of guests and locals and all were welcome, tourists are how we make our living! I am really sorry I gave he impression that you weren't welcome.

I know that our Hskp team have been working in your room to address any issues and I sincerely hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. If you have a moment please feel free to ask for me as I would love to have a chance to meet you in person.

Matt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

2nd time staying here. Everything was great like last time except for parking. My GF drove last time so she had to deal with parking, however I drove this time. The "valet" guys are idiots. I asked where to park my car myself as most hotels have their own lots. I was told that the Anadaz lot is only accessible to "valet" people. So basically if you don't want to let these morons touch your car you are up a creek in regards to parking. As much as we pay for a room here you'd think they would be a little more proactive about parking. The hotel across the street has their own parking deck and other places have reserved parking for their guests as well. To add insult to injury, the "valet" told me more or less "tough luck, pound sand." The closest lot was full, save for a huge chunk of spaces that were blocked for for Anadaz.
Very frustrating when you pay this much for a room and are left high and dry for parking.

• Stayed June 2013
95traveller, thanks for your review and your repeat visits, we appreciate it! My apologies for the behavior of our valet team, they should never speak to a guest in the manner you describe. The hotel is built on top of an underground city owned public parking lot. You are welcome to park your self there, and that is also where the valet parks your car if you take that option. The valet does contract a number of reserved spots, so that they will always have spots for guests' cars and so that they can park in one area to keep better track of the cars (it is a big garage). Sorry your experience wasn't all that it should have been, Matt
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

A group of friends and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend for a bachelorette party and we couldn't have picked a better place. There were cold beverages provided at check-in and complimentary snacks in each of the rooms. The rooms and the hotel in general was extremely clean, and the staff was very friendly.

The Andaz has a great location with restaurants, bars, and shopping all within a 5 minute walk.

I'll definitely be back the next time I'm in Savannah.

• Stayed June 2013
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
MLW0119, thank you for the nice review.I am glad you and your girlfriends enjoyed Savannah and the hotel. Come back soon! - Matt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Excellent, the moment we walked in we was greeted with enthusiasm. I especially loved the complimentary drink upon arrival(which includes wine ) . The receptionist Christy was very pleasant and accommodating she even helped to deliver our things to our room . I up graded to a Grand Suite ..there were TVs in each room , it was spacious enough for myself my husband and two small children. You are definitely treated as royality here .
I could go on and on ..but I think you get the drift )
We will be returning

• Stayed June 2013
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
msperry, I can't say enough about this review ! Thank you so much, I am happy you enjoyed the hotel and especially the staff. See you when you return! Matt
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was our second time staying in the Andaz Savannah hotel. We stayed the first time back in January 2013 and knew we had to be back! The experience at this hotel is unique from the moment you walk in the door and greeted by friendly staff. The non-traditional IPad check-in is a breeze as you are also offered a glass of wine and yummy cookies. The rooms are very classy and roomy. All snacks and drinks were complimentary (except for the alcoholic beverages). This Hyatt hotel is centrally located near City Market and is walking distance to the Historic District. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay both times and highly recommend it! :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
PhotographyBySanty, thank you for the repeat stays! Hope to have you back for a third visit soon, Matt

Been to Andaz Savannah? Share your experiences!