“Fine hotel but not a BnB” 4 of 5 stars

Exclusive Rates & Rooms
Ranked #5 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“Fine hotel but not a BnB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Eliza Thompson house lives up to much of its billing. It is a charming, 19th century home on a lovely section of Savannah (which is, btw, all that and a plate of shrimp). The room appointments evoke a period and are both comfortable and charming.
The 20th century addition to the home that has added some 12 rooms has, however, overburdened the capacity to provide a real BnB experience. Breakfast offerings are as pedestrian as what one might find at a Motel 6. The lovely parlor is too small for more than 35% of the guests to comfortably use it.
On balance: fine, even very good small hotel in an excellent location, quiet with very friendly and helpful staff. But don't expect the small-scale BnB experience.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went back to Savannah - our son was graduating so we decided to stay at the Eliza Thompson house this time.

REALLY NICE. I don't really have anything bad to say about our stay at all.

Staff: Totally pleasant, very accomodating and completely awesome the entire time we were there.

Cleanliness - great room, very comfortable. Turn-down service every nice with mints on the pillows etc. Only thing on this note I would say is that the baseboards were kind of dirty but come on...it's the baseboards. My baseboards at home are yucky. Not going to say anything more on that.

Breakfast in the morning was a very southern meal, coffee was decent, people asked if there was anything we needed. Happy hour in the evening. Dessert later in the night. Sherry 24/7.

Everyone was EXTREMELY accomodating and I would go back again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
warwick, ri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just returned from Savannah and stayed at the Eliza Thompson House. I would recommend to all hotels that they send their employees to the Eliza Thompson for five star training. Erin and Kevin, two of the inn's employees, just couldn't do enough for us - they truly give new meaning to customer satisfaction. We loved our room and the back courtyard is amazing. As far as I'm concerned it is the only place to stay in the beautiful City of Savannah (where macaroni & cheese is considered a vegetable!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is the 3rd time we've visited The Eliza Thompson House in 2 years. Since spending our honeymoon there, we have never thought of staying anywhere else.
Once again we were greeted by Kevin, who remembered us and our names! Erin at the front desk is one the reasons we come back with her warm smile and personality, and Mrs. Virginia's breakfast was incredible as usual. The house was lovely and welcoming and our room (the J. Stephen) was perfect!

I gave an excellent rating as to not fault the staff. However, since changing Innkeepers, there is a different vibe to this place. One of the first things we noticed is how tiny the flags outside are now, we wonder what happened to the large ones? Wine and cheese now seems to have less choices and dessert is obviously store bought. For over $200 a night, there is STILL no fresh fruit available in the morning. Aside from that, most of the staff seems downright sad and there are a lot of new faces. I didn't even recognize Kevin in his new bland uniform! My wife and I witnessed the new Innkeeper scolding a staff member in front of other guests, completely unacceptable. I realize that the house is owned by a company but, it needs a management overhaul.
Sadly, until that happens, we won't be returning. Again, this is no fault to the staff or the beautiful home but to the management and owners.

Room Tip: Stay in the Main House for charm
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our second stay at the B&B. After 10 years the service was just as great. We specially enjoyed the afternoon wine cheese with other guest, and the evening coffee and dessert before calling it a night. We will return, hopefully.

• Stayed May 2013
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Location is perfect (for single woman) to walk all through historic district day and evening.
Lovely breakfast in courtyard with singing birds, bubbling fountain, and flowering hibiscus is difficult to beat.
The staff - particularly Nell, Erin, Brandon, and Kevin were terrific.
Unfortunately, must make one negative comment. When I first made this reservation and read the reviews, I noted that someone had commented on carpets needing a good cleaning. I think that was from the year 2011. I assumed that was no longer an issue. Wrong! Overall, the private rooms (I was in the original nursery - The Lee Room - and loved it) and community areas appeared very clean. However, while looking for an outlet for my cell phone, I discovered thick dust behind the furniture. I assume this will now be taken care of and I can wholeheartedly recommend the Eliza Thompson for all the above reasons.

Room Tip: If you are a solo traveler or a couple - The Lee Room is perfect. Some might consider the bathroom...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My experience was different than many of the others that left great reviews. We arrived in front of a lovely house on a beautiful street. We were not met by a bellman, so we circled the block and found parking. We carried our bags up the wet steps into the front hall. There we were greeted by a pleasant attendant who walked with us to our car to place the parking permit. WE carried the rest of our luggage as he led us back up the steps to the desk. We waited to be greeted while two staff members talked. That was fine but when we were "greeted" it wasn't pleasant as you would expect at an inn. Basically I was asked how I wanted to pay the balance and given the rules of the room regarding smoking and pets. We were shown to a room right off the lobby that had two queen beds crammed into a room and that left little floor space or relaxing space. The closet had ONE hanger. The toilet ran the whole weekend so we kept the bathroom door closed. I was treating my daughter to the trip and she asked me not to make a scene so I let these irritations slide. Every morning I was awakened before 7 by what I assume was the staff talking and laughing at the front desk and we could hear all the talking in the parlor across the hall as we tried to go to sleep at night. They really should turn that room into another parlor, not a bedroom. We attempted to join other guests at the wine and cheese time, but the parlor was small and there was no seating or places to set our glasses so we took our food and drink back to our room. The courtyard where they serve breakfast is lovely and relaxing and the breakfast food is average. We tried to get dinner recommendations from someone at the front desk. When I asked if they had a list of recommendations he replied "Yea" and never produced it. We did not have the experience others had with helpful staff. Upon leaving we went to the desk area, but a bellmen never arrived and the girl on the phone barely looked at us. I put the keys on the desk and left without any attention from any staff. Being in my 60's I was not happy about lugging my bags down the wet steps in the front and having to worry about falling. I have stayed in many inns from Maine to Georgia and this is my first negative review. I cannot recommend this inn.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Eliza Thompson House? Share your experiences!