“Very worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #57 of 166 Activities in Savannah
Alpena, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
“Very worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

While staying on Tybee Island and Savannah, we've always been fascinated by the route that the big ships take going up the river into Savannah and the docks. We've done some dolphin tours before on Tybee, but looking at the reviews, the duration of this tour and the route it takes from River Street all the way to out Tybee Island really made us want to give this one a try. I will have to say that we didn't go to necessarily see dolphins, but we saw so many of them while nearing Tybee as they were playing right near the boat we were on. I even think that we stayed out longer than usual because there were so many dolphins that the captain didn't want to head back while the dolphins were still playing by us. To us, that was icing on the cake, but probably the most interesting part was the ride through back and forth with all the information provided and just being able to see the route and everything that goes on while the ships make it from Tybee to River Street. It's worth the money and your time to try this tour.

Visited August 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
“Great tour and fun for the family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have done this tour before about 7 years ago. It was not that great but this time around, we had a better time. Got to see some great dolphins play in the water. The tour was better as they had a tour guide giving infomation about the area and what to expect. I am glad I did this tour and the kids had a ball watching the cargo ships go by.

Visited August 2012
asheville, NC
“First Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have had the opportunity to ride out and dolphin watch on the Dolphin Magic, and I can attest that it was money well spent. The captain was friendly as well as professional, and the mate seemed eager to please as well. Safety was stressed, and I am a stickler for that.

Dolphins seemingly appeared to know the crew. I was amazed at how they came over and entertained us all. For a short period in my life, I felt completely relaxed. I don't know who to attribute that luxury to---the Dolphin Magic crew or the dolphins themselves. All I know is that the world and all of it's problems just don't exist on this cruise. This might be one Savannah's best kept secrets.

I HIGHLY recommend this attraction, and guarantee you will not regret it.

Visited July 2012
13 attraction reviews
“Over-priced and kinda boring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

I was expecting to see the lighthouses much closer:( We did see lots of dolphins. It was a nice river boat ride but for the price, I would rather have done something different.

Purvis, MS
17 attraction reviews
“Great tour; fair price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Highly recommend! I was unsure at first; seemed highly "touristy". From someone who used to work as a deckhand on a dolphin cruise in FL; I was suprised. The captain was highly experienced. The tour guide was had intelligent historical / local information w/ a nice dose of humor. Even with a large group of girl scouts riding on the same boat as us; he appeared to have pleased everyone. The price itself is not bad; I have seen a lot worse. With the cost of boat fuel; a 2 hour trip for $30ish dollars is decent. Plus we actually got to see quite a few bottlenose dophins (of course this isn't always guaranteed though).

Preperation Notes* (for the summer) : Be hydrated; it's hot (tour also provides water on board) Also wear plently of sunscreen on a hot day. Bring a camera; but be prepared to take a lot of pictures of just water; they are hard to take a picture with. Also; a slight possibility you make get a little water on you; depends on the waves/currents, etc. I would recommend a video recorder for the trip. Not recommended for handicapped people; but I'm sure they cater to a certain degree. Did not use the bathroom; but did not need to since it's only 2 hours; I would recommend doing this before you go on the tour. Final word of advice, tip the tour guide; he works for tips.

Visited July 2012