“good house to visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Davenport House Museum

Davenport House Museum
324 East State Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)
912 236 8097
Ranked #33 of 100 Attractions in Savannah
Type: Historic Sites, Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Federal-style home of master builder Isaiah Davenport restored to its early 19th century beauty. Owned and operated by Historic Savannah Foundation.
trinidad and tobago
6 attraction reviews
“good house to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

my wife and I visited Davenport House last week, the tour was extremely informative and I recommend it to anyone visiting Savannah
the yellow wallpaper is still enblazened in my mind!!

Visited September 2013

Savannah, Georgia
“Great House Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Visited the Davenport House Museum yesterday and what a treat! The House is beautifully restored and gave my family a look at the way life was in 1820. The tour guide was super informative and included my children in the talk. I loved the gift shop and the garden has to be one of thee most beautiful I have ever seen. I want to come back when they do a performance in costume.

Visited August 2013
waterloo ny
7 attraction reviews
“The most historical accurate house tour in savannah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and i have taken many historical house tours while visiting Savannah and have found the Davenport House to be the most historically accurate and captivating. If you have the opportunity, take the candlelight tour at Christmas time as it mirrors the festivities of those days of yore. The tours are historically accurate and informative and the docents are well versed and knowledgeable of the history of the Davenport House and Savannah. I would put this at the top of my list of places to visit while in this wonderful city.

Visited December 2012
Savannah, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“A wonderful restoration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This house was such a treat to visit!!!! An impeccable 1820s restoration and a glimpse into life in Savannah in the 1820s. So interesting to see how a hard working master builder lived in Savannah in the 1820s in a beautiful Federalist house with period furnishing, paint colors and wall paper. The tour tells the story of the 7 ladies that saved the house in the 1950s and how they formed the historical society and got people living in Savannah all interested in historical restoration. The tour also tells about the family of the Davenports. If you go o Savannah this is the place to start- where Savannah's restoration began in the 1950s.

Visited December 2012
Rehoboth Beach
11 attraction reviews
“Great Tour/Wonderful Docent Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My partner and I decided that we would tour several of the grand homes of Savannah during our stay. The Davenport House was the final home that we toured. It was a Monday morning when we arrived. We were warmly greeted and advised that the tours were on the half-hour and that we were in time for the 10:30 tour. There were no other visitors, but us. A very enthusiastic docent, (named Joyce? maybe) began our tour in the basement of the home. She began with a timeline history for the home and explained how the property came to be the museum attraction that it is today. Before beginning the actual home tour, she explained the time period and setting for what we were about to see. We found this helpful, as several of the other home tours were set in roughly the same period of time. It was helpful to know the historical "placement" for the home as we were about to see it.
Our guide clearly loved the property and gave us a lot of details about the research that went into the most recent revamp of the property. After the preservationist group bought the property in the 50s...and went about re-creating its origanl design...they weren't terribly careful in some of the details that went into the decorating and details. The most recent re-do of the property paid careful attention to what would have "historically" been found on and in the property. Can't say that I was crazy about some of the wall treatments, but I wasn't crazy about some of the wall treatments my parents had in their home (for me 1970s wallpaper choices were on a par with the treatments from the 1800s in this home).
The docent directed me to some notebooks about the home available to peruse in the gift-shop waiting area, as I was interested in the house and its appearance prior to the 1950 preservationists' intervention. It was very interesting to see how the home appeared while being used as tenement housing. The Funeral Home across the street had purchased the property to demolish it--and to clear the ground for a parking lot. Without the foresight of the preservationists, the home would have been lost.
It is definitely worth a visit to the Davenport house. Interesting to see how the home of a master builder was put together and to see how his family would have lived.

Visited August 2013