“Charging Outrageous Amounts just to View a Statue!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Telfair Museums Telfair Academy

Telfair Museums Telfair Academy
121 Barnard Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)
912 790 8800
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Designed by British architectural prodigy William Jay in the neoclassical Regency style, the Telfair Academy is a former mansion built in 1819 for Alexander Telfair, son of Revolutionary War patriot and Georgia governor Edward Telfair.In 1875, Alexander’s sister Mary – heir to the family fortune and last to bear the Telfair name – bequeathed the house and its furnishings to the Georgia Historical Society to be opened as a museum. After significant renovation by German-born architect Detlef Lienau, whose adaptations included the addition of the Sculpture Gallery and the Rotunda, the building opened to the public in 1886 as the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Springfield, Missouri
9 attraction reviews
“Charging Outrageous Amounts just to View a Statue!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Many years ago I read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", and have wanted to see the Bird Girl statue that is shown on the cover of the book. I finally had my chance this summer as we took our road trip through Savannah, Georgia. I was so disappointed to learn that the Bird Girl statue has been moved from her original spot at a local cemetary, and now resides in the TelFair Museum of Art. We easily found the Museum and I bounded up the stairs with my familly, eager to see the statue. When we got inside I was very disappointed to learn that we would each need to pay $20 to enter the museum to see this statue. NO WAY!!! We were nearing the end of a week long road trip down the east coast, and I was not going to spend another $80 to see this. It made me sick to think that this statue lures people to the beautiful city of Savannah, but they no longer have her outside (in one of their MANY "squares") but instead have her stuck inside some old museum so they can charge tourists to view her. Very sad!

Richmond
9 attraction reviews
“Wonderful gem in a lovely city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I visited this museum during one of the Bank of America free museum weekends. I was pleasantly surprised by the genuine welcome I received even though I wasn't paying for the visit! Great array of exhibits (even some local art was featured) and of course the famous Bird Girl statue can be found here. Would love to visit again if in the city!

Visited April 2012
Savannah, Georgia
18 attraction reviews
“Love It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We love this little museum and all it has to offer. Usually it isn't too crowded so take time to appreciate the beautiful art that Telfair offers.

Connecticut
“Save your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I will fully admit that I was put off by the place when we found out that we would not be able to take any pictures of the bird girl statute (that was formerly in Boneventure, which would have allowed tourists to photograph it to their hearts content). There are some beautiful works of art, but the woman at the front desk was pretty rude about the photography stuff (we asked before we went in what their policy was to avoid getting in trouble). So, if you want a picture of the bird girl statute, when you are visiting any of the savannah tourist gift shops, snap one there, you can also buy a miniture version of the statute as well.

I totally get not taking flash photography in museums and respect that policy but to so heavily police a statute (she had her own museum guard) seems totally ridiculous.

Visited July 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Best Deal in Town - $5 to tour 3 different places with Student ID!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was visiting with a friend and decided to check out the Telfair. Beautiful art and I'm not particular artsey but it was a nice day out. It was a little far to walk in the heat from my hotel, but not too bad. Great service. Best Deal in Town - $5 to tour 3 different places with Student ID!

Visited June 2012