“Save your hard earned 15 bucks” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mercer Williams House Museum

Mercer Williams House Museum
429 Bull Street, Monterey Square, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)
912 236 6352; 877 430 6352
Ranked #41 of 204 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This home and museum is now open for tours - but don't ask them about the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" book or movie.
NC
16 attraction reviews
“Save your hard earned 15 bucks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

Well first of all, Im a huge Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil fan. When I got to musuem I was thrilled. At first I was ok about the $30 bucks for the two of us to get in. Then when we get in, we are only allowed in 4 rooms downstairs because of fire codes. The tour was over in about 15 minutes. They said nothing about the movie and the woman who took our money was rude. I know they cant do anything about fire codes, but please, to charge that much for 15 minutes. UNless you are a die hard MITGOGAE fan, than you need to go somewhere else to see antiques, like the Owens Thomas house which was only $4/pp and had two times the stuff and you could go upstairs. I believe this was a waste of time. I actually heard more about this house on the hearse tour than I did from the actual tour guide. Save your money.

Roxboro, NC
“Outstanding Presentation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

This is a must tour while in Savannah. Marcia was an excellent presenter and displayed a wealth of knowledge about history, art, Mr. Williams and his beloved home. I would highly recommend purchasing the book written by his sister, Dr. Dorothy Kingery, SAVANNAH'S JIM WILLIAMS & HIS SOUTHERN HOUSES, before touring the home. It will give you a much broader picture of Mr. Williams other than the Midnight in the Garden part.

San Antonio
“The most beautiful house in Savannah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

The Mercer house was beautiful and the tour guide was lovely.
It is worth the $12 that it cost to get in. You can only tour the first floor, but it is worth it. Watch or read: Midnight in the garden of good and evil" before you go!

Silver Springs, FL
“Mercer Williams House Museum - Savannah, GA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

The Mercer Williams House is where many of the scenes were filmed in the movie "The Garden of Good & Evil". It has been beautifully restored and contains many antiques and paintings. This mansion is a "must see" if you visit Savannah.

Charlotte, NC
“Go with an open mind, watch movie first it adds to the interest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

We just returned from Savannah and to be honest, I hadn't read the book and was only mildly familiar with the movie. I am into architecture and history. A death was part of this history so I was really surprised when the rolled right passed the topic. Jim Williams himself would of found an antique more collectible if it had a history.

Our tour guide did mention "it" and there was no looming guard mentioned in previous posts. In fact our guide was young and peppy he just needed more time and more house to be open to the public. As an historic home, it needs work, the family should take a clue for the Cecil family who own Biltmore. Don't live in the house. It was tacky to hear them in the kitchen and young kids crying. The antiques were interesting, but we were rushed through and not much time to take it in as you should with items of history. Docents in every room would be better or as an option.

I don't believe Williams would have kept it in this less than optimum state. Our guide explained how he didn't trust anyone to clean the stained glass in the ceiling and took it piece by pieced and restored it himself. That care has not been continued. I think if the family moved out and opened the whole house it would be better. Get back to it's roots as a center for restoration of historic art and architecture. Remove the touristy paraphernailia in the carriage house like unrelated kids toys and kate spade books and make the gift shop one of museum quality. Again take the hint from Biltmore. It's not as large but the same principal applies. Would I go again no, was I glad I went the first times, yes. Will consider going again if the whole house is open.