“food great, but” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Boca Raton FL
“food great, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We love BBQ, and needed a casual inexpensive place to eat our last night...this was a good choice. The pulled pork and brisket we had was delicious. Their mild house sauce was a bit too peppery for my wimpy taste buds, but the substituted vinegar (that took awhile to get to me*) was surprisingly great. They had no sweet potato side dish, so had sweet plantains, which were perfect. My husband had a corn salad; he enjoyed it.
*Outside seating was a bit ignored: the few wait staff had to handle indoor and outdoor tables simultaneously, so delays were inevitable.
The artificial sweeteners left on the tables outside were sadly affected by moisture, clumping badly. "Fresh" packets brought from indoors were just a little bit better. We chose to sit outside; the fenced in area is lovely albeit on a busy lackluster road. They had a nice breeze going through the yard...but large flies still swarmed all over our food. They had Citronella torches; one was lit then blown out. Perhaps a few strong outdoor fans might be a good investment. So food good; décor simple, clean and inventive. Wait staff shortage? Perhaps mothers called in sick, OR management did not intuit to have more help on a Saturday evening of the last summer weekend. Not sure if I'd go back here, but the food was basic and good that I might order it "To Go"

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond Hill, Georgia
“Kids had fun and the food was pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Service can make or break a meal. I have had enough restaurant experiences (good and bad) to know that. Well here was another great example of how the service of a restaurant made it stand out, even with average food. Not to say the food was bad at all, but nothing stood out from what I can do at home. We dined outside, where there was a bean bag toss that the kids enjoyed. The food, as stated, was average. I had heard better reviews and thought to expect better, so I was slightly disappointed. But that also depends on the type of barbeque you like. I am not a fan of ribs that are not sauced during the cooking process. I understand some people may like it that way, but I don't. The fried mushrooms were ok. My daughter thought the beef ribs were decent, but thought the huge bone left over was pretty hilarious. But the service is what stood out. Our waitress was very attentive to our requests and orders. If only for the service I would eat here again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, GA
“No flavor at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I went today for lunch with a group of ladies including my mother. I had eaten at Blowing Smoke in their previous location on MLK and it was great. Since their move to this current location on Habersham the food has gone downhill. I ordered the Taco Salad - house made tortilla bowl stuffed with mixed greens, pico de gallo, red onions, queso fresco and avocado. If queso fresco is supposed to be cheese then there was none. I asked for the Caribbean Chicken to be added for an extra $3. I was completely disappointed. The tortilla shell was thick and greasy, tons of greens, tasteless chicken, tasteless pico de gallo and no avocado. Had to ask the server for the avocado and he brought in a separate bowl. Very disappointing meal. Service was okay but the food is a waste of money. I will never go again. Building is a converted garage with the glass bay doors. Patio area deck was in the process of being built. Savannah has a lot of other restaurants that are much better than this. And the parking lot is a grassy lot. A total disappointment overall.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
gfsu
“Nice place to eat off the beaten path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The new location is very nice and will get even better as the weather gets cooler as the outside area is very nice. The menu is an interesting mix of tex mex and BBQ. Had the burrito with pulled pork which was great and wife had the blackened pineapple which was very good. Pricing is decent and service was good. We will be back

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, Georgia
“What's wrong here?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten at several restaurants owned by this group and has always been outstanding....however this place is a disaster. We went on a Sunday afternoon...service was fine..friendly wait staff...BUT the food. I had the special of the day...a pork belly. Taco with pineapple, mango and jalapeño salsa. When served it was a huge flour tortilla with 3 or 4 very small ...fingernail size...pieces of pork, couldn't taste any salsa but stuffed with a lot of lettuce. The taco consisted of flour tortilla and lettuce...for my side, I chose plantains, they were in edible...old, over cooked, dry and greasy. My husband had the brisket platter..it was a few slices of beef that were more fat than meat..side of Mac and cheese was a small square of Mac and cheese that had been breaded...lots of breading..and deep fried. It was dry and tough. No pork ribs Only beef
Blowing smok on MLK was so good. How. Has this happened?....

Visited August 2013