“2 nights in a very comfortable room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #54 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Riverview, FL
“2 nights in a very comfortable room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We used Rewards points to book a king executive room for 2 nights on a trip to see Savannah and Tybee Island. The staff was friendly and treated us like we were paying full price. The breakfast was hot and fresh both mornings and even changed up the menu a bit. The room was very comfortable and was even reasonably quiet even though we were on 1st floor very near the entrance.
We were concerned that it might be too remote and have to travel a long way to see the sights and to get food but it was a very easy, fast trip to the historic district and there is a good variety of restaurants within .5 miles.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The only reason this doesn't get a higher review is because I didn't get to check out the entire hotel and because there are no real restaurants at this side of the exit. In any event, these reasons are not the hotel's fault - but I can only review what I experienced.

There are TONS of hotels at this exit - however, how did this many hotels go up without any restaurants at the same side of the exit?? Boggles the mind. Sure, you could go across to the other side - but that's just my pickiness.

The hotel is newer and front desk lady was very polite and expedient. I booked a King Bed Executive room and was quite impressed - it was large, clean, and well maintained. There's a sort of additional room with this that contains a decent sized couch and table. The bed was very comfortable!

I don't think there was too much difference in price between this and a basic King Bed room. If you are with family or just want some extra elbow room, then pay a couple of dollars more, you won't regret it.

I literally stayed here 6 hours. So, I didn't get the breakfast, or get to use the facilities, but judging by the rest of the place, I'm guessing they were nice too.

If I ever need to stay over near Savannah again (and am not planning on going to the Historic District), then this one is definitely at the top of the list.

Room Tip: King Bed Executive room type - you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Well, the storm was actually in Chicago ... but it led to my flight being cancelled since I was hubbing through there heading back to Toronto ... and my 'unplanned' stay at this site.

I often choose this brand when travelling alone or with my wife ... find it consistently very good.

So when I faced the wall of adverts at the airport after the flight was canned, I dialed up the Holiday Inn Express expecting "Sorry, we're full."

Instead "Absolutely sir, I have rooms. $109. Wait, you're calling from the airport? I have a 'distressed passenger' rate of $99 for you. Give me your name and I'll send the shuttle - give him about ten minutes."

"I know you don't have a resto on site ... anything nearby?"

"Yessir. There's a grill a very short walk away. A bar and grill ... and it's very good!"

Same super-friendly greeting when I arrived.

I wasn't actually 'distressed' by the way. Nothing anyone can do about this sort of thing, let alone the United Express agents who were actually taking heat from a couple of passengers on our former flight.

"Would you happen to have a King?"

"I certainly do, darlin'" (I've come to the conclusion that I must have arrived at 'that age' where folks start calling you darlin', hon' etc.

It happens at home.

And that's Canada! We don't talk like that!)

I digress.

Standard, very good quality room. Great sleep. Everything works. Free breakfast including some hot stuff.

And a discount coupon for that bar and grill, by the way!

Went to the desk in the morning to beg for a late checkout given I was rebooked mid-afternoon.

"Already don, darlin'. We have you in the room until 1.30 - that work?"

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a King ....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Valdosta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was somewhat disappointed with the cleanliness of this hotel. But, I must say this hotel has a lot of potential. It is located close to the airport, lots of restaurants, and about a 15 minute drive to downtown. Breakfast has room for improvement. Ann the breakfast attendant needs to smile more and appear as if she appreciate the guest being there. There beds and furniture in the rooms needs to be upgraded. The bed was soooo hard and the furniture looks to be quiet used and old. The walls are very thin. We could hear what appeared to be a cell phone vibrating through the walls. Therefore, that lets you know that the walls are very thin.

I have to give accolades to the General Manager, Amanda Barnard, she expressed apologies for the subpar level of services that we received.

On our first night at the hotel, we discovered that the sheets that the previous guest used were still on the sofa sleeper. We went down stairs and told Thurnell Brinson who is the night manager. He assured us that he will have this taken care of in the morning when housekeeping comes back. The next morning we left our room; we came back later that evening. Housekeeping did come to our room, but only to make the bed and put clean towels in the bathroom. The same dirty sheets were still on the sofa sleeper and housekeeping did not vacuum the floor. Again we went back and reported both of these things to Thurnell. We told him that housekeeping did not remove the sheets from the sofa sleeper nor did they vacuum the room. Again he assured this time that he will take care of that right NOW. We went out and sat on the patio giving them time to clean the room. About 45 minutes later we went back to the room to find it in the same condition as we reported it. The dirty sheets were still on the sofa sleeper and the trash was still on the floor; including crumbs from food that we had eaten.

By now we were fed up. We did not say anymore to Thurnell because it was obvious that he was not doing what he was telling us. We felt that we should not have to report the same thing to the same person 3 times. We were planning to stay for 3 nights but after two nights of issues with cleanliness, we decided to check out the next morning. During check out, Melissa, at the desk, ask how was our stay and we told her about the issues that we encountered. She assured us that she will pass the information on to the General Manager, Amanda Barnard.

Amanda did call me and I appreciate her; she was so nice and kind. She apologized for the inconveniences that we experienced. She also said that this is an award winning hotel and cleanliness is a priority for them. Amanda was very professional and she did what she said she will do to make this situation right. I'm pleased with what she did to make up for our inconveniences. Again, Thank You Amanda!

Will I stay here again? Absolutely, yes. Once I spoke with Amanda I trust what she said about this hotel. I didn't give it 5 stars because of the issues. If the issues had been dealt with immediately after we reported them, then I would have seen this situation with another perspective. I have zero tolerance for uncleanliness. This is a public facility so there is not room to slack on cleanliness.

In summary, this is a nice hotel with a great amount of potential. There are areas of the hotel that needs to be maintained better as far as cleanliness. One area is the patio.

Patio: The outside patio needs to be cleaned more often. It appears that it does not get cleaned everyday. The rugs on the patio were never swept the two days we were there. Bee hives are in the cracks of the wall and they can be removed. These little things can make the appearance look bad. But if it is cleaned it will make a big difference in the appearance. The place will really look much cleaner. See pics below.

I recommend that you give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: Because the walls are so thin, I would request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear CleanGirl61,

Thank you very much for leaving us a detailed review, highlighting the good and enumerating the opportunities to improve. It is unfortunate that the cleanliness levels on site were a disappointment. This is definitely not up to standards and we will address this with our team to ensure similar incidents be avoided in the future. However, it is delightful that you had recognized our General Manager's attention to the inconveniences you have experienced. It is always hugely motivating for us to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

While we understand that your visit was not 100% satisfactory, we would welcome the opportunity to host you again and make your stay as best as it can be.

Regards,

Pam G
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Personally you can't go wrong when choosing this hotel. The hotel is extremely clean from the lobby to the rooms which is pretty amazing in my opinion. All of the employees were extremely friendly and I felt like more than a guest. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013
Calais, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We used this hotel as a Park Stay and Fly hotel. The hotel was what I would have expected of the chain and parking was excelent as was the ground transportation to and from the hotel (perhaps the best of all the services at the hotel) There are a number of hotels serving the Airport and other than a shortage of eating places in the area we would recomend this hotel for its stay park and fly services. Although the walls may have been thin we did not notice airport activity. Breakfast was a bit below the usual chain standard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Trustingtraveler,

Krysllin G.
Roachdale, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Clean hotel and nice staff. First room was by the elevator. Ask to switch rooms and they did. The only complaint I have is the noise issue. Walls are extremely thin. Could hear the guest next to us entire conversations. This went on till well after midnight.had to run fan on a/c unit the entire night to drowned them out. You can hear every person that uses the hallways.

Room Tip: Don't stay by the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Peggy M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am very pleased that you noticed the cleanliness of the property and found the staff nice. I humbly extend an apology for the thin walls and for the noise issues you have experienced. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Savannah you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport? Share your experiences!