“Charming historic hotel located at the Summit of Western PA!” 5 of 5 stars

Historic Summit Inn
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   101 Skyline Drive, Farmington, PA 15437   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Charming historic hotel located at the Summit of Western PA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

From the time I called to make my reservation, to the time we checked out, our experience was more than delightful. This historic hotel is full of charm with comfy chairs by the fireplace, real keys for the rooms, and honest, hard-working staff. I called to let them know we were arriving late and the woman on the other end of the line said to drive carefully. I was impressed with her thoughtfulness She greeted us upon our arrival and was warm and welcoming throughout our stay. The room was big and simply furnished, with comfy beds. The room did lack good lighting and the outlet in the bathroom didn't accommodate a modern hairdryer, but the charm and friendly staff more than made up for these issues. Keep in mind since this is a historic building, there are no elevators available. I'm sure if steps are an issue, you can request a room on the first floor. Overall though, the hotel does not seem handicap-accessible. I would totally recommend The Historic Summit Inn when you are traveling in Western PA. Located 15 minutes from Falling Water.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

First off, I almost wish that we had stayed at a botique hotel around Pittsburgh and made the less than two hour drive down to the Ohiopyle area.

We booked a room for the last Saturday in October in order to visit Falling Water, the Frank Lloyd Wright home. The location is beautiful, basically the highest point looking down onto beautiful hills and valleys. The room was more expensive for a "view," and the room did have a view, but the window was on the other side of the wall from the bed and took up maybe 35% of the wall. Imagine squeezing past a cheap table with chairs and armoire into the corner of the room to see the view. The furnishings in the room were cheap, and I haven't seen much worse in a $60 motel room. The bed was uncomfortable and neither of us slept well. The lobby and bar are nice.

The restaurant was the real kicker. The food was terrible and severely overpriced. My prime rib was a huge slab of terribly mediocre beef and my gf's "pot pie" must have been from the freezer. I just continued to drink it away as she made the comment, "I bet the kitchen staff is behind the door laughing at us paying so much money for this terrible food."

I get the impression that the great porch would be nice in the summer, but if you are just passing through, stay in Pittsburgh, and if you are going to the Wright homes, drive from Pittsburgh or stay at a B & B closer to Ohiopyle.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

The Inn has a great view of the sunset and the drinks are good and the food is not bad. Since there are no elevators, it would be nice if the inn had a porter or a bellhop to help with the luggage. This would be handy if your room is on the third floor at the end of the hall and you have packed for a week of traveling, Be prepared to travel to the front desk for amenities that you would normally find in a modern hotel room or at least close by such as ice. I recommend staying here, but prepared because historic is euphesism for old, out of date and pricey but is quaint.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My husband and good friends recently stayed here for a wedding we were attending. We were awed by the view of the hills of PN. It is absolutely gorgeous. This hotel is actually on the registry of historic sites I believe.

The hotel itself is older, but it has been around a very long time. They have kept it up nicely. There is large multi-level porch with tables and rocking chairs to sit outside and see the view. They also have two pools, one indoor and outdoor. Along with the pools they have put in a game room downstairs that is pretty fun.

Our room was nice and the beds were comfortable. I noticed that they did not seem to provide some of the "norms" of hotels, like a hairdryer. I don't know if the front desk could supply one because my friend ended up borrowing one, but good to know. Also, it does not appear that all the rooms are the same. Which is kind of cool actually. You also get a real key to your room, not an electric pass. Your door still locks automatically behind you.

The only food we ate was at the wedding, but it was really good. The wedding was absolutely gorgeous.

There are things to do nearby, but we did not get a chance to explore much. They have several sitting areas/lounges for people that were nice. Two of them have TV's iin them that our football fans liked.

One thing to know is that they are very careful about what they charge to your room. Some hotels will not always follow through on charging you for an extra person or a roll away bed (we had one because we had five people). They did charge us which was absolutely fine, but some people seem to forget that hotels still do.

Also I lost my favorite earrings and I called the hotel when I got back. The manager was so nice and went to look right away. Unfortunately she did not find them , but she still went back the next day to look in the daylight. (still can't find them. It is entirely my fault, not their housekeeping or anything).

Overall this inn was gorgeous and I would definitely go back for a long weekend. This hotel is probably best suited for a person that appreciates the beauty of nature and quiet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

My friend and I booked to stay here during a weekend visit to Fallingwater and it exceeded all expectations! After reading some of the reviews here I'm shocked and agree with another reviewer who said that people will complain about anything. Our room was spacious, clean, and in great condition with an insanely gorgeous view over the valley. The bathroom looked nearly brand new with a pretty tile floor and big pedestal sink. The carpet may have been only thing in the room that showed any age. The beds were very comfortable. The service in the dining room was prompt and the steaks were delicious. Breakfast was also great. We took advantage of the massage therapist who was one of the best I've ever been too, and then we checked out a board game and played it in front of the fire in the lobby that evening (where we met and chatted with other very friendly guests.) The staff was top notch and attentive! I felt like there was a wonderful mix of history and charm and the place has a real B&B feel to it despite its size. I even read complaints about the highway noise - we were facing the highway and the rush of a car going by I thought was really mild but I guess I live in the city and I'm used to a lot of noise. Maybe it's because I do live in the downtown historic area of Philadelphia in an historic Civil War era house so I'm used to old places with a few nicks and scratches and lots of outdoor noise... but I seriously I don't understand the complaints. This really the nicest place I've stayed in in a long time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I booked one night at Summit Inn with my boyfriend on a whirlwind trip to see Fallingwater in October 2010. I mention our age because I think it says a little bit about our perspective. In short, the hotel was well kept and our room (on road side) was lovely. Totally clean and spacious. The bathroom was charming with old black and white tile floors and incandescent lamps. The shower head was low, yes, but this is an old place--you should be glad the bathrooms aren't down the hall. Our stay was very comfortable and we slept like babies in the king size bed--road noise was practically nonexistent. I think this is a great place to stay and getaway to go hiking, kayaking, see Fallingwater, etc.

Cons: Mae's restaurant is not great, folks. Think NYC prices ($27 for trout) for cafeteria fare. Really heavy too. I'd recommend grabbing a burger in their bar instead of eating at Mae's--there are not many options around, and we arrived in the evening, not wanting to drive around looking. Drinks were strong at WunderBar, wish we had ate there too. Breakfast was ok, but they obviously served last nights potatoes-we would have preferred a nice continental style breakfast. The service was also disorganized and slow, with no maitre'd.
Also, it was not terribly surprising, but all the visitors were quite old. We just thought it was funny--went to Fallingwater the next day and we were also in the minority.

Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The Mt. Summit Inn turned out to be the perfect spot for our family reunion. We came from 16 different states to an area our family settled in the late 18th century. For some it was the first time that they were in Uniontown. Staying at the Summit provided that perfect extra for the three day weekend. From the gourmet picnic to the gala dinner arranged by the hotel to the touring of the cemeteries, the visit to the historical collection at the Pennsylvania Room at the library, tours of the courthouse, historical mansions and churches we all had the best time ever perhaps because we so looked forward to the sunset views from the great porch with refreshments from the Wundebar before preparing for the evening event. After the evening event, folks could often be found gathered in the comfy chairs in front of the huge fireplace in the main lobby continuing the story telling and laughter of the day. The staff was cheerful, well trained and very helpful. Individually and collectively we left with wonderful memories of a special time at a special place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Historic Summit Inn? Share your experiences!