“Very nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Very nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

VALUE - Stayed here one night in early April so we could see Fallingwater and were quite satisfied. Only $7.00 for valet parking and you could also self park.
ROOMS - Stayed in the Lodge in a very spacious, adequately furnished, comfortable room that was fairly straightforward in it's features which easily met all our needs. Comfortable bed.
LOCATION - About ten minutes from Fallingwater.
CLEANLINESS - Very clean and fairly well maintained.
CHECK IN/FRONT DESK - No problems.
SERVICE - Adequate as we had no special needs.
DINING - Somewhat pricey but very good with adequate portions.

• Liked — Liked everything but especially the location.
  • Disliked — Nothing. It was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Mechanicsburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful long weekend at this property. Our room on the 1st floor on the Chateau had a dramatically high ceiling with 2 exquisite crystal chandeliers, sumptuous bed linens, a marble bath, and access to a private outdoor patio (though the recent snows made it inaccessible.) We enjoyed cocktails in both the elegant Lobby bar, as well as the Cigar Bar, which both featured fireplaces, comfortable seating, and the opportunity to mingle with fellow guests. The Woodlands Spa is second to none, and I enjoyed both a focused massage (neck, back and shoulders), as well as an amazing aromatherapy body paraffin wrap. We were pleased with our dining experiences, which included breakfasts in Autumn, and dinners in both the Tavern and Autumn. My husband and I both thought our dinner in Autumn was one of our best meals ever. Service was exceptional and well-timed. We were especially grateful to review our entree choices with Kelly (not sure of her title), who guided us to an excellent wine selection to complement our entrees (quail and trout). My husband went clay pigeon shooting on Sunday (in a snow storm), and had a great time - he can't wait to go back in better weather. On Monday, we skied for the first time in many years. The well groomed, uncrowded slopes were very much appreciated by two rusty skiers, though experienced skiers might quickly become bored. We saw many young children tackling the slopes, and understand that the resort offers both group and private lessons. Most staff we encountered were extremely professional, cordial, and service-oriented. While I would not call our long weekend "inexpensive", I did value the beautiful surroundings, many amenities, and wonderful service. We hope to return in the spring or summer to take advantage of other activities.

• Liked — The Woodlands Spa.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wash dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

My wife suggested we take a weekend at Nemacolin to workout, dine, spa & relax.

Never Happened.

Cold marble flooring in the bath only added to general discomfort of our chilly room in the "Château”. We eventually had to call for an electric space heater. The following morning we were informed that "a problem with the gas company" was to blame for the lack of hot water. After waiting several hours in vain for a shower we checked out.

Let the nouveau riche squander their time at this pathetic excuse for a resort.... Wish I could have said it reminded me of more of "Faulty Towers" than a very expensive gulag.

Stayed February 2007
dc area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

I have been going to Nemacolin since the early 80's - when there was nothing but 18 holes, and the Lodge and the townhouses (which are universally described by others as "tired" - I didn't see them this visit). Since our 3 day "honeymoon" there in 1993. Before, and just as, Joe Hardy and his daughter turned it into the travesty it has become.

Every bad review below mine is true. Tacky. Disney-esque. Breathtakingly expensive. Mediocre service. Mediocre food. And, worst of all, it really used to be elegant and lovely and a real getaway, and had notably excellent service.

We went up on the spur of the moment when school got cancelled for the several-th day in a row. Thought our boys would get a kick out of snowtubing, and my husband and I could get a much needed workout and maybe even hit the spa. We stayed less than 14 hours.....and in that time experienced :

-Overpriced mediocre just- this-side-of fast food at the Tavern (where you can barely get a glass of wine under $10)

- Black gunk coming out of the whirlpool jet in the bathroom

- Freezing temperatures in the room (didn't stay long enough to get that resolved)

- No hot water ("there is a problem with the natural gas supply") for an entire morning, not resolved before we left.

- Young earnest employees, often spouting platitudes about Joe Hardy, whose autobiography is on sale for $40 at the front desk...(is there no end to this man's egotism?! How many portraits of him are there - anyone counted?!)

- A fee for absolutely any thing you could do or touch at the place.

A stroll through the once-lovely Lodge and other parts of the property is one long advertisement for more junk than you can imagine -- poster boards everywhere! In the former entrance/lobby of the Lodge, where a natural wood fire was burning (and not a soul to enjoy it - one of the only "real" things about the place) each bay window by the front door contains a sample banquet table setting - yet another advertisement.

Just stunning in its tackiness from one end to the other.

I will never go back. Very sad.

And the kids didn't even get to snowtube.

Go to the first diner on the left about 3 miles after you take a left out of the property, though -- great food!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2006

We live 3.5 hours away and were looking for a Spring Break (mid March) vacation with our 2 boys 11 & 13. Didn't want to ski, as our boys ski every weekend. Heard good things about nemacolin, checked out the website and decided the kid's program looked great. We've never done those programs before; even at the Ritz properties they are terrible. I figured at a cost of $150/kid per day (vs. $50 at hotels) the programs should be good.

Arrived way early and we were greeted quite kindly. We had signed the boys up for the Hummer course and Shooting Academy (it's in the top 5 in the US. I hunt quite a bit and was impressed). Asked where the Hummer course was and was told the Hummer would pick the boys up at our townhouse and then take them directly to the Shooting Academcy. The boys had the best time so we were hopefull that the full day program we'd scheduled for the next day would be as good and it was fantastic. In fact, the boys did the full day program (Hummer, Shooting, Zip Line, Paintball, etc.) all 4 days we were there.

The kid's program last from 9 to 5 and includes a good lunch at the Tavern. While the kid's were doing the program, my wife and I worked out together every morning and she did spa treatments every afternoon. The Townhouses are dated but very well kept. In March of 2007 the mid-week rates are $260/night which is very cheap, or at least it's cheap compared to the alternatives we consider.

Interestingly, I agreed with every review I read on both the good and bad points. Yes, it is cheesy, but it's south Penn, not South Beach. And yes it is expensive, but if you look at the web site they pretty clearly identify the costs. You have to put things in perspective. I spent about $250/day on the Townhouse, $300/day on kid's programs (for 2 kids), and $300/day on Spa treatments. So with food I guess I spent $1,000/day. But flying my family of 4 to Mexico now costs $4,000. I night in the WPB Ritz is $800 and that's a 1BR Suite.

Would I fly to nemacolin? Probably not. Would I go without kids? I'm not a big golfer so maybe not. But for a driving vacation with kids it's unbeatable so we are going for 5 days again this coming March.

Stayed March 2006
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

Nemacolin is a huge resort with beautiful grounds but that is the only good thing about it. After paying close to $400.00 a night we were shocked to discover that almost every activity has an extra charge. The outdoor pool and whirlpool were closed for the season so we asked about using the indoor facilities and were told that the "wet area" had a $20.00 charge for its use. We than wanted to check our e-mail and there again there was a $20.00 charge. We had been traveling for several weeks and never was charged for this. Even my budget hotel in Manhatten has a computer set up for the guests. My husband asked about a few hours of fishing on the property and the charge for that and the equipment was around $300.00. All our other hotels had included at least a continental breakfast but no food is included here. We ate at 2 of their restaurants and although Aquious was very good all of the food was barely warm, even though they re-heated my main course the problem remained.
I would suggest people tour the property in their van and then stay someplace else in the area.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — expensive
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
suburban Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

Nemacolin is a quirky, beautiful, maddening, fun vacation spot. We stayed at the townhouses at Nemacolin for 4 nights with our 2 young adult children, as a close-by getaway with activities that interested all of us (sometimes hard to find with young adults!). As an accommodation for 4 people, it was a bit tight, but it was nice to have the kitchen and the opportunity to have breakfast and snacks in the room (we brought food from hone). The townhouses were in reasonably good condition, but were a bit dated. But for the price for 4 people, they were a good value.

The activities are breathtakingly expensive, but we knew that going in and simply decided in advance the splurge on a few things. We were not disappointed with our choices. My husband played golf at both courses--Mystic Rock was fabulous, and the Links were like a good public course. The kids loved the Hummer trail, and my husband and son thought that combat paintball was great (they played with 7 13-year-olds!). My daughter and I each had a spa treatment, and were very happy with them. We spent quite a bit of time at the pool, which was very nice but got very crowed on the weekend (why, with so many acres, should the pool be so small?).

We ate at Autumn and Aqueous, and had great meals at each with excellent service. The restaurants too were very expensive. Even our "cheap" meal at the Tavern, which was very good, was expensive. But since we'd had breakfast and lunch on the cheap, we splurged on dinner.

The property is beautiful--rolling hills and buildings that are very well-maintained on the outside. It's randomly studded with bizarre "art," a fragment of the Berlin Wall, antique cars and planes, and zoo animals. There are a number of ponds, but no boats or other ways to use them. The property is so large that it requires waiting for a shuttle or driving your car from place to place, which is annoying. We walked one of their 2 hiking trails (how can so many acres have only 2 marked trails?), and the beginning of it was so poorly marked that we thought we'd never get back! The dirty laundry and trash from cleaning each of the townhouses in our row was still piled in front of our doors at 6PM.

When we ate at Aqueous we walked around the Falling Rock property. It looked fabulous (although again breathtakingly expensive). We definitely would consider going back and trying those accommodations. But I'm ambivalent whether I'd go back otherwise. We had a nice time within a 3-hour drive from home even considering our family's very diverse interests. But this is a resort with 5-star potential, that falls down because of details and an attitude that to be good something must be priced astronomically.

• Liked — lots to do
  • Disliked — everything was ridiculously expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the townhouses and bring food for breakfast and lunch
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!