“Pros and Cons but visually stunning” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 50% off!
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Pros and Cons but visually stunning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My caveat is that we were very lucky to have "club access". Its worth it if you can afford it and you don't mind being a bit "frugal". The Club at the Chateau offers: continental breakfast, mid day tea, pre dinner drinks and appetizers, after dinner drinks and coffee,tea,cookies all day! The butlers in the club are wonderful and will spoil you! You really only have to buy lunch - and there is a great little café in the fitness center where you can take out sandwiches and wraps over to the pool. We didn't eat any meals on site as I don't like paying resort prices and again the club provided plenty for us. We spent three nights and two full days. We went to Falling Water which was really amazing - super special. We did a long property walk and used the spa. The spa services are very good and Susan in fitness is great. The surrounding area is very pretty - its probably worth the price during leaf changing season. If you are within a four hour drive time - probably worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Went to Nemacolin for one night in order to visit Fallingwater nearby. As warned by other trip advisors, we booked fine dining in hopes of staying away from the many many children. No such luck. Children screaming are everywhere. And as another trip advisor said, the service component does not match the price tag. They a la carte you for any additional tours, services activities etc. In Fairness at almost $700/night you expect superb service but you are in the middle of rural Pennsylvania. At fine dining ordered black cod (excellent) however atop spaghetti that had merged into one solid clump. Cassandra the waitress was nowhere to be seen, when finally someone did come by and I had finished the dish (minus pasta clump) the wait staff was non plussed, surely in a regular $700/night place they might offer to comp a dessert. No instead I was asked if I wanted a plate of pasta (what? to go?) Took 12 minutes to actually get the bill because the waitress could not figure out the wine price (even though the wine list is computerized). In room dining was very good but expect a 19% service charge , which I was explained is not the tip, there is also a hidden resort fee.
Most egregious thing however is that the place is completely under contraction, pathways are cordoned off because there is no sidewalk, high portions of the resort are under tarpaulin, and although even the most basic Marriott would warn you about such inconveniences, Nemacolin pulls a real BAIT and SWITCH charging $700/night for the chateau only to fin an eye sore construction site. Shame on the managers or whoever decides NOT to include this on the website, At the very leafs be honest with customers and let them decide.
Besides clumped pasta the food at Autumn is very good, however the service in the restaurant and throughout the resort was patchy at best, pretty awful at worst. I would be hard pressed to go back. Caveat emptor, now you've been warned about construction and terrible service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Brecksville, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My daughter and I had a wonderful weekend to celebrate an upcoming 'big' birthday of hers. Our room at the Chateau was wonderful and spacious. Our spa treatments were well timed in the afternoon so we could enjoy exploring the property on Saturday morning. We had a couple hours at the pool which was well attended by wait staff. Our meals at the Tavern and Aqueous were just delightful. My daughter had a filet and I had sea bass; both were some of the best we've ever tasted.

Would highly recommend this for a special occasion or get away. I had been there previously, however, it was just great to see my daughter's excitement for her first time. The weekend exceeded expectations.

Room Tip: Previously, I stayed in the Lodge, which I remember had much smaller rooms. It is undergoing renova...
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I just got back from a trip to Nemacolin with my extended family and this was a great choice.

The Positives:

Everyone from my parents (70) down to the youngest child (7) had a great time. This is a great place for an active family that likes to experience the outdoors and take in some culture as well. The resort has an amazing art collection. Tiffany lamps, Frank Remington sculptures, Audubon full books (very rare), impressionist paintings by Kluge, and the list goes on. We also took a quick road trip to Frank Llyod Wright's Fallingwater which took you through the State Park in Ohiopyle which had amazing water falls you can walk behind as well as natural water slides. There was white water rafting but you need to be at least 12 to get the full experience.

The activities offered at the resort kept everyone very busy and even when it rained there was plenty to do. The Shooting academy is top notch and the entire staff across the complex was helpful and friendly. While no one in my family are big gamblers we did head over to the casino one night and found it entertaining and open. The Jeep driving school was off the charts and while the 3100' zip line was a little over the top for me my kids could not get enough of it. The Falling Rock golf coarse is beautiful and while my family regrets not bringing our clubs to play, there is plenty to do outside of golf.

The Spa was fantastic and first rate in everyway.

My parents stayed in the Chateau and thought the rooms where fantastic. This was particularily suprising to me since they usualy think everything is terrible especially if it is located outside the North Shore of Long Island. The rest of the family stayed in the town homes in the Linx and while they where modestly decorated they served their purpose and I had no real issues with them.

The Negatives:

With the exception of the resturant at Falling Rock the food was terrible and generally overpriced. One night we took a 20 minute drive to the closest grocery store and made dinner ourselves at the townhomes. While it was a little cramped having 12 people there for dinner the outside deck gave us a great sunset and combined with several bottles of wine, everyone seemed very happy.

The pool was a little dated and the water slide was small, but given they probably only use it 3 months of the year I get it. The tennis courts were made of some felt like surface I have never seen before and generally looked subpar.

It is a really far drive from CT/NY. I think you can find something closer and at the same price point that is better. I would recommend it but I will probably never go back. Not becuase I did not like it but it is not worthy of another 6-8 hour drive in my mind.

With that said it was a great place for an extended family vacation and I did and saw several unique things. The Laurel Highlands is a beautiful part of country and I am glad my family got to experience it together.

Room Tip: Get a room with a kitchen and make a lot of your own meals
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My wife, 2 kids and I stayed at Nemacolin this past weekend. The rooms are wonderfully appointed and amazingly clean. The rooms are very large and easily accommodated the 4 of us with a full size crib. The bathrooms and showers are both huge. However the true hit is the resort itself. There is absolutely something for everyone. There are so many activities to do that I recommend you actually look and plan it out prior to getting here. Otherwise it is easy to get caught up at their amazing pool with live music all day. The food is great whether you want fine dining or more family options there was something for everyone. We had a fantastic time and certainly would recommend for anyone looking for a nice get a way.

Stayed August 2014
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Despite the ongoing construction, which didn't interrupt our stay in any way, The Nemacolin is a top notch resort. From our very spacious and comfortable room, with it's luxurious Jacuzzi, in the beautiful Chateau, to the friendly, efficient and helpful staff, every detail of our visit was perfect. Having stayed at many 5 star resorts, we were most impressed with how reasonably priced it is for such luxurious accommodations and outstanding service. They were always one step ahead of us, making our stay relaxing and enjoyable.

A standout was our dinner at the Tavern. Our server Allison was knowledgeable, efficient and friendly. Because of this she was able to guide us through our choices, from the inventive pre-meal cocktail, to the scrumptious desserts.

A mention should also be made that every employee we came in contact with was not only extremely helpful, but truly caring and friendly. From the quick and efficient shuttle drivers and valets, who are more than happy to give you a history lesson about the resort if you are interested, to the salespeople at the many shops who go the extra mile to help you find the perfect item, everyone contributed to our comfort and pleasure. Our stay was truly memorable and my only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

Thank you Nemacolin for an exceptional vacation experience.

Room Tip: We loved our gorgeous, luxurious room in the Chateau. We chose the top floor because the view of th...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

The reviews suggested this was good, but I found it very poor in many aspects. The staff were mainly professional and kind though.

It is expensive for what it offers: at over $400 a night we all expected a lot more.

The resort is undergoing a major renovation and it feels like you are staying at a building site. Pneumatic drilling and/or hammering starts well before 9am and last throughout most of the day

Despite there being a huge space for a fridge in the armoire, don't expect one. And if you unsuspectingly ask for one, you will receive a hefty bill charge with no prior warning.

Dining: if you don't book days before dining, you coincidentally will only be able to eat at the more expensive or inferior options. This happened to us both nights we stayed. If you peek into the Autumn dining room, however, you will see they are nowhere near capacity.

Despite the lodge being newly remodeled there is total mishmash of styles and decor lacking in any coherence or taste.

My daughter badly chipped her tooth on the pool slide and the hotel didn't react appropriately. Some pool staff offered assistance, but only at my insistence and follow-up phone calls did the hotel security even complete an accident report. I do hope this won't happen to any other child.

We checked out early and will not use this resort again. I wish I could be more positive, as my reviews of other hotels show I am usually very positive about places I stay, but Nemacolin was awful.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!