“Felt like a Princess” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Felt like a Princess”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Everything about this resort was amazing!!! I had such a wonderful time from the room service to the pillow menu to the butler service where I had someone come and draw me a bath in the middle of the night. My fiance and I did the rope course and the zip lines that were awesome. We also took advantage of the little safari they have onsite. Over all it was a little pricey but it was an amazing experience!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I choose to stay at this Resort due to its location to New York City and because it is pet friendly. We stayed for 3 days and 2 nights which was plenty for us since we are not skiers and it was the winter season. We had a pet friendly room in the Chateau Layefette which felt very luxurious. The ceilings were incredibly high, soaring 2 full stories. The his and her bathroom was as large as the room and had a full balcony connecting the room to the bathroom. The balcony was about 6 feet wide and 20 feet long in the shape of an L to connect the two rooms. Our little toy poodle loved the space and the freedom of running in and out. The service at the entire resort was great. The conceirge was informative, but didn't really offer any extra information. The overall hotel is gorgeous and Chateau Layefette definitely has the most to do compared to the other accommodation options at Nemacolin. The Chateau has the cigar bar, tea room, wine tasting class, 4 or 5 restaurants, the spa, pool, gift shop, indoor shopping 'street', wine cellar, etc. For those looking for a more luxious stay, or for a couples weekend, I'd DEFINITELY suggest staying athe Chateau. It may not be so ideal for families with small kids as it seems like there is alot of glass they could break! The shuttle service is frequent and fast. I believe it runs until 2am. There is a walking trail as soon as you walk outside that provides a path to all area attractions. We visited during the month of January when it snowed. There seems to be alot more activities to do during the warmer months but I believe any season at Nemacolin would have a great intinary. I hope this information helps!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Chateau Suite King. Its an expensive room but it is gorgeous and well worth the mon...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stopped on the way home from a trip to Cleveland. Just spent one night, the the chateau. The room was beautiful, and the beds comfortable. We only ate in the Autumn restaurant but the food was interesting, varied, and reasonably priced. We are vegetarians, and the chef came out, to ensure that we had adequate choice and variety. The service was really first rate. We spent an afternoon at the shooting academy, for a beginner lesson, and had a great time. We will certainly return, and spend more time.

Room Tip: The chateau is lovely. Reminded us of a stay in a real chateau in the Loire
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We have have stayed at nemacolin over the past 10 years many times. It is an amazing beautiful, stunning resort and we love to stay there. I was just reading the reviews posted
and I must admit it seems that the nemacolin I have come to know and love is not up to the quality we have come to expect. It seems to be getting"run down" which is o sad to see. I usually come with 6 to 8 doctors and nurses and we all use the spa and all there is to offer. The last stay there in November we were also disappointed, however we still think it,s a wonderful place,we just hope that the attention to detail that it has been famous for will come back. That would be a great job to have.

• Stayed November 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed at Nemacolin on the first weekend in March. The entire experience was awesome. The skiing at Mystic Mountain is perfect for kids and beginners. We got a personal lesson for our 6 yr old - and another for the two older kids. Ty did the lesson with the 6 yr old and he was fantastic - so patient and supportive. After the one hour lesson, our little guy was skiing by himself like a champ! The other lesson was ok, but nothing special.

The most amazing part of the experience was that somehow we got upgraded from the lodge to the 5th floor of the Chateau. This floor has 24-hour butler service and a private lounge. Jackie, Brian, Katie, and Mark were fabulous! Kudos to the management for employing Jackie and her team - they make people smile every day!

It was exactly the kind of relaxing, family-centric weekend we were looking for. Thanks Nemacolin!

Room Tip: Any room on the 5th floor of the Chateau is an excellent choice - cool stuff to look at everywhere y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Woodbine, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have stayed at Nemacolin in the past and our experience was wonderful. However, recently it seems that no one is minding the store.
Our bathroom was not clean, the sink had the previous guest shavings, the mirror had their floss spit and the shower, soapy hand prints on the towel racks. I didn't notice these things until I was already brushing my teeth. I expected that the maid service later that day, would take care of these issues, but they did not. The bathroom sink did seem cleaner, but the mirror still wasn't cleaned, and I bet you could go in that room now and it would still be dirty.
The cleaning service did not bother to refresh our coffee service, not even empty our cups or provide new clean coffee cups.
A part from the shower water temperature control is sitting on a table next to the shower, clearly it has been broken for some time and no one has bothered to fix it. One of the bathroom carpets needed to be put in the trash. A couple of the lamps in the room did not work either.
Our breakfast fruit plate had raspberries, of which ~ 90% were moldy. The staff apologized and took the dish off of our bill. I had french toast one day, it was good, but very plain, and equivalent to IHOP. I tried the crepes the next day, and they were terrible. My plate was hot, but the crepe was cold, with lukewarm filling that was suppose to be vanilla bean. I did not taste any vanilla. It was topped with lukewarm pumpkin. Overall the food in the Autumn restaurant was lack luster and mediocre.
We also had the same issues of another guest with restaurants being closed, but all the signs still pointing you in their direction.
We spent a day at the spa, which was wonderful. I was really looking forward to the steam bath, but found out on our arrival that it was out of service.
This is suppose to be a luxury hotel and commands a high price. I will think twice before spending my hard earned money there again. I plan to send a letter to the Management.

Room Tip: The grounds and spa are amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My future daughter in law and I were bought spa packages for valentines day at The Nemacolin Woodlands Spa. We had a 4 hour drive there and arrived and were greated really nicely by the doorman and thought this was going to be great the place looked beautiful. We get checked in and shown to our room which had a huge badly repaired spot on the ceiling with a hole, luckily at that time housekeeping knocked on the door to welcome us, I had just called downstairs to the front desk and thought wow that was quick service but I guess it was just luck. She called the front desk and we were moved. On checking in we had been told that they had just had a huge exit of people, I mentioned did she think with 8 restaurants there would be need to book she said no so we did not book dinner.

By 7:15pm we were hungry after the drive etc and headed to The Tavern (it was closed no mention on website or from the front desk). We quickly discovered most were closed so went to Autumn to be told they were fully booked even thou we could see empty tables, we would have to wait till 8:30pm. They said we could eat at the ski lodge Apex restaurant so off we went in a shuttle to what I can only describe as a cafeteria not quit the relaxed setting we wanted so we left wondering what we were going to do. Helen the shuttle driver said just go sit at the bar and wait we can even eat at the bar. So to the girls amazement we returned to Autumn and said we were going to have a drink so she showed us in and said oh look I do have tables and left us without any menu and without showing us to a specific table. The food apart from the desserts was amazing. We had dessert but they all came stone cold, if have never had stone cold apple turnovers served as a dessert, they did take them off the bill. Out of the 4 desserts on the menu we had to return 3 for not being hot the ice cream was the only one we ate.
You think what else can go wrong our tv did not turn on unless the main light switch was on and the coffee pot came on by itself when we turned the switch off. Oh I forgot our first room had a mans deodorant bottle lying on the floor under the chair not a good housekeeping sign.
We woke up the next day looking forward to our spa day, we get a call saying the are 2 different bookings and I had actually rung the spa and reserved them as the Internet did not explain too well I had some questions and we wanted these services at the same times. Why they did not pick up before that the same people had 2 different itineraries I had received 1 e-mail and my daughter in law had received a totally different one. The spa services were unbelievably and worth the money, everyone was so pleasant and accommodating. If anything the men being shown around re refurbishments could have waited till they were closed at 6pm sitting around in robes and having 4-5 workmen talking around you retracted from the ambiance. I even helped a decorator choose wall color whilst in the elevator.
After the treatments were over we asked as they were closing if we could,come back tomorrow and use the jacuzzi etc they said of course but it is $20 per person I felt that this was wrong we had both spent between $4-600 on spa treatments and should be able to use the other facilities whenever during our stay at anytime at no cost. We decided to go to the front desk and voice our displeasure with the above issues we got a blank stare and asked to see the manager who looked angry at us and was anything but understanding. I manage a tennis club and deal with the public on a day to day basis and deal with any complaint immediately this was not apparent here, we were not asking for anything just wanted them to know how disappointed we were.
Later that night we decided we really did not want to stay any longer and went to the front desk to say we were not wanting to stay our 3rd night and she seemed shocked that anyone would not want to stay.
Someone high up needs to take a look around some of the place is tired and run down the elevator to our rooms looked more like a service elevator as it was bashed and the wood was in bad shape.
When we went to check out we had a long conversation with yet another manager and said they need to put on the website a off season page so you know ahead that everything is closed and they must have know the tavern was closed at that time put it on do not miss lead the guests. Everything closed at 5 so we never got to look at the shops even the ice cream parlor was shut.
The saddest thing is that the only people that seemed to care were the everyday workers, the shuttle driver, the morning waitress at autumn and the room service lady, every attempt to talk to management fell on deaf ears. The Spa was great but I am lucky enough to have Spa West 10 mins away which is just as good if not better and I would recommend it no anyone on the other hand I will not be recommending the Nemacolin woodlands resort to any of my friends. If you live close the Spa is worth it but do not stay there.

Stayed March 2013
Guest S, Manager at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
First, on behalf of Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Most importantly, we would like to apologize for the challenges you have described. Please know that these incidents do not reflect the world-class resort or the level of service that we wish to provide our guests, nor are recognized for. It disappoints us to learn that we fell short in a number of areas during your visit.

Regarding your dining experience, you mentioned the Tavern restaurant’s closure. Nemacolin is currently undergoing exciting renovations throughout the entire Resort property. In order to provide these enhancements, various outlets will need to close for the construction phase. We have very carefully selected the best timeframes for these disruptions, so as to minimize any interference with our guests’ experience. We make every effort to provide our guests with the most accurate information regarding the availability of our amenities. Our website lists the hours of operation, our new Mobile Website offers hours of operation pages and we provide our guests with a Happenings program that lists resort amenities and the current hours. We do apologize if you were misinformed on the availability of our amenities. In terms of the condition of the elevator. We are listening to our guests comments and suggestions and as part of our Resort-wide renovation process, this Elevator will too receive a remodel in the next year.

Spa guests have full access to the Woodlands Spa’s indoor heated lap pool and wet areas, locker rooms, fitness center and fitness classes during the day of their scheduled spa treatment. The wet areas are complimentary for guests receiving spa treatments for that day of service. We do charge a $20 fee for Resort Guests that are not receiving spa treatments for that day and would like to utilize our heated lap pool and wet areas. After 3:00 p.m. the half-day fee is $10 for Resort Guests. We have found that our Spa Guests value privacy and most importantly relaxation during the day of their services.

Nemacolin values all of our associates, from our Front of the House associates to our Management team. While, we are pleased to hear that our Doormen, Shuttle Drivers and Housekeeping provided acceptable levels of service, it is concerning that our Management team failed to resolve your problems. We take great pride in our customer service at all levels.

Please know that each issue you have mentioned will be addressed with the appropriate departments. Your feedback is invaluable in ensuring that the resort and our associates continue to offer each guest an exceptional experience. We do hope you took the time to fill out our departure survey so we better understand the details of your stay and may be able to follow-up. Thank you again for your review. We do hope that you will give Nemacolin Woodlands Resort another opportunity.

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!