“The Best!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Pittsburgh, PA
“The Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My family spent Presidents Day weekend here. Although I was here several times before, this time I was truly impressed. This resort improved dramatically. I used to think of it as I think of nearby Seven Springs Ski Resort: it is doing fine only because there is little competition. Well maybe it used to be the best in the provincial Western Pennsylvania but now it is simply THE BEST.

Upon registration we asked for the roll-up bed to be brought to our room. When we got to our room (3 – 5 minutes later) the bed was already there. We decided that after all we do not want this bed. Since the elevator was across the hall, instead of calling I decided to come down and request the removal of the bed personally. When I got back to our room the bed was already gone. We experienced such fast and attentive service consistently throughout the entire 3-day stay. Their entire personnel from bellhops to cleaning people are cheerful, friendly, do not know the word “no” and are eager to please.

In the past, I was a little troubled with Lautrec Restaurant’s claim of being “one of the best restaurants in the world”. Their attempt at presenting dishes as works of art is a little misguided to my taste. I’d rather a stake looks like a stake and a cheese cake does not look like some white foam with an Oreo cookie stuck in it. Yet, the stake quality and its preparation were superb, their venison was excellent, the broccoli soup delicious and although the cheese cake looked funny, it tasted great (oh maybe it was a bit too sweet for my taste).

The biggest surprise came when I paid the bill. This four course dinner was only $100 per person. Similar dinner at ta ypical Michelin three star restaurants would put you down at least three times as much and at l'Auberge du Pont de Collonges of Paul Bocuse – $500 - $700.

The Sunday branch at Lautrec was also very good. I was particularly impressed with some of their hot dishes. The braised beef melted in my mouth and cheese blintzes with fresh fruit were divine.

On the day of our departure we asked if instead of 11 AM we can check out at 2 PM. It was granted to us without any problems and with gracious smile.

We will definitely come back to Nemacolin Woodlands.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We returned to Nemacolin for our 9th year to enjoy a weekend of skiing and spaaing. The resort recently lost their ski lodge due to a five. Within 5 days the lodge was up and running for President's Day weekend. I spent many relaxing hours at the spa, enjoyed a Swedish massage, manicure and hair style, followed by an anniversary dinner at the famous Lautrec restaurant. Our last evening we enjoyed a family dinner at Aqueous at Falling Rock. Highly recommend this destination in the mountains. Bonus! This resort is also pet friendly!!!!! With a spa for your pet too!

Room Tip: Rooms at the lodge and the townhomes are less pricey.....
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night the food was excellent the service was impeccable! It was a short drive for us but felt like you were in a far away place! Perfect getaway!

• Stayed February 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

From start to finish, our visit to Nemacolin was incredible. The facilities, including our room, were beautiful. Each member of the staff we interacted with was extremely accomodating and professional, and they frequently addressed us by name. We had an outstanding dining experience at each of the resort's restaurants. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and professionally served. The activities were fun and well run. We had a wonderful, special vacation and look forward to returning to this top class resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakdale, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Beautiful resort, stayed in a 2 bedroom townhouse. Great having the shuttle service. Townhouse was dusty and couldn't figure out light switches, could have used better light bulbs in lamps.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Nemacolin Woodlands is simply a can't miss destination that has something for just about everyone. The rooms, the facilities, the restaurants and the grounds are stunning. My wife and I (and occasionally my 16 year old son) try to get there at least twice a year. The staff is impeccably professional and friendly. Lautrec is one of the few restaurants that earns its ratings, and you must try it for dinner or Sunday brunch. The spa is amazing and the golf courses excellent (especially Mystic Rock, which should be a regular stop on the PGA tour). We love the Shooting Academy, which is a lot of fun even for novices.

Room Tip: Stay at the Chateau and/or Falling Rock (summer only) and, if possible in a butlered room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

What can I say, the experience at Nemacolin was very memorable. Service was top notch, the guestroom was extremely elegant and dinner at Autumn was perfect. Not only were the filet and stuffed pork tenderloin cooked to perfection, the flavor in the Pumpkin Bisque was out of this world. The family had a great time and the wife and I were able to enjoy ourselves while the kids were entertained at Kids Night Out. I must thank you for the opportunity to experience Nemacolin. I truly did not realize everything there was to offer until I went to Nemacolin to experience it myself.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!