“So Delicious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chiyo Sushi

Chiyo Sushi
1619 Sulgrave Ave, Baltimore, MD 21209-3662 (Mt. Washington)
410-466-1000
Neighborhood: Mt. Washington
Columbia, Maryland
“So Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Wow! My boyfriend and I decided to check this place out due to yelp reviews, soooo glad we did! We have now been there 3 weekends in a row. I do not eat any meat, fish or dairy but even so - they had enough choices to satisfy any veg head. Not to mention they had vegetarian specialty rolls that are not just your average avocado & cucumber roll. SOO GOOD! My boyfriend tried several of the popular rolls based on yelp and loved every single one. I believe he got the Queen roll, tuna roll, few sashimi.. no complaints from him :) The only downside is the parking. We managed to go around 3:30 on Saturdays, right after they opened and haven't had an issue. I could definitely see this lot fill up QUICK, but that's Mt. Washington for you! The warm hand towels before/after dinner and the bubblegum is a nice touch. Can't wait to return.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Maryland
“Rip off with Groupon Coupon - I'll NEVER go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Their sushi is pretty good. So when I saw a Groupon, I bought it. The coupon was for sushi for 4 people. We made a reservation, but one of the people couldn't make it. We went anyway, and ordered 4 rolls, figuring to take one home.

When I presented the coupon, our server refused it. She said the coupon was for 4 people. I pointed out we had ordered 4 rolls, and were taking Sushi home with us. She tossed it back to
me and said no.

I asked to see the manager. He told me that Groupon would not allow them to take the coupon, and if he did he'd get in trouble. Now I happen to know that Groupon does not monitor how a coupon is used, since they get a cut of every coupon that is purchased through their site, and now each one that is redeemed. The manager refused, and we left, with a bad taste in our mouths.

I didn't want the coupon to go to waste, so I gave it to my daughter. She and 5 friends went, figuring as long as they had more than 4 people, the coupon should be honored, right?

WRONG - The same story was given to them. The exact amount of people needed to be at the table - 4, no more and no less. Same story - Groupon would be angry. They resolved this by having the check divided - one check for 2 people, one check for 4 people The manager was not happy, but since they were playing by his rules, what could he do.

I will NEVER go back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Chiyo, the Sushi Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Chiyo, The Sushi Place

Where the rice is never mushy
And the seats are comfy, cushy
To my somewhat lazy tushi
There I'll go to eat my sushi.

Where there's salmon and there's eel
Where there's tuna, what a deal!
Where there's mackerel and bass
No one any better has.

The fish are raw, so are their eggs
It the imagination begs
So go to Chiyo, taste their dishes
The Oriental loaves and fishes.

And with your friends the dishes share
So each gets all pelagic fare
And don't forget the ricey rolls
They are a balm for hungry souls.

The Hungry Poet

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“A Great Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We came to this area hoping for some good ice cream nearby. However, since we came pretty late, we decided to come here for dinner first. We were immediately seated and offered hot towels. We were each served some pretty good miso soup and salad before the entrees arrived. I ordered a roll combination of tuna, yellow tail, and California rolls; all were fresh and delicious. My sister's udon, despite being full of vegetables and other additions, was a bit disappointing. My dad's unadon was nicely presented and delicious but overpriced. My mom's chirashi was average. Prices were, for the most part, reasonable, so we would probably come back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent service, great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Service in this very nice, but unpretentious restaurant is first rate. Food and drink service was well timed and unobtrusive. Each of the four of us had different sushi combinations and appetizers and all of us were very happy with our choices. Pricing is competitive. Highly recommend.

• Visited November 2012