“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
New York, NY
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

The Renaissance Hotel is a large high end establishment right in the heart of the Inner Harbor. From a location perspective, you really can’t do any better than this hotel. The lobby, rooms and corridors were all lovely; the beds very comfortable. The staff was uniformly polite and professional. Food at the Watertable restaurant was a little too pricey for our taste, although the breakfast at The Ground Floor Cafe & Bar was not unreasonable and well prepared. There is a nice indoor heated pool which we found quite relaxing. Negatives for the establishment included a $24 per day parking fee and a $12.95 per day internet fee, if you wanted to go online. (Indeed after doing the math, I signed up for a smartphone with 3G internet access. I decided it was a better use of my money. If the Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Wendy’s and McDonalds can provide free internet, you wonder why the management at Marriott cannot figure out how to do the same thing.) These annoyances were offset by a reasonable room rate obtained through my job.

Despite my screed, this was a wonderful hotel and I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

1,021 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a regional meeting with my company. Upon returning to my room in the evening, all but a few items had been stolen from my room. I called security and they promised me that they will do a full investigation and get to the bottom of who entered my room and who stole my stuff. Well, Here we are a week later and the claims adjustor from Marriott/Renaissance just called me and said that they have no proof that their employees stole my items and the state statute says they have no liability for my items. She even had the gall to tell me that I should have put my items in the hotel safe. They stole my car keys, house keys, ID, credit cards backpack and clothes. Based on the morons that ran security at this hotel, its clearly an inside job. they have no surveillance cameras except in the common areas and the hotel is connected to a mall where anyone can wander in from. Stay away from this hotel. Criminals are in cahoots with the employees there and neither you or your stuff is safe in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Way overpriced! Had to complain the first day because we found the sheets were never changed from the guests the day before. Front desk apologized but never attempted to make amends. Bar was nice but not much to choose for appetizers. Restaurant breakfast was awful. (Don't order the buffet!). After the second day stopped eating there and ate out. Amenities (shampoo, etc.) only replaced once in 5 days.. Probably the highest priced hotel on the harbor. Very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We've stayed twice, both times in June, on weekends, to watch baseball at Camden yards. We purposely chose a hotel a walk away from the field so we could get in a bit of exercise. It wasn't so far away as to be daunting and it was close enough to be an enjoyable stroll, even in the heat. The location cannot be beat-- excellent restaurants are down the street (Capitol Grille), shopping mall just outside the hotel, and aquarium and harbour across the street.
Each time we stayed the room was immaculate, spacious, and modern with comfortable bedding. I'd recommend spending the extra to have a a room looking over the harbour-- really magical to look out over the sailing boats. Quiet is important to us and our room on the 12th floor was just that. Even though we noticed many groups and families at breakfast and in the elevators, the noise didn't transfer inside our room.
Our one dinner in the hotel was surprisingly delicious and the breakfasts were also good. The front desk is efficient and bell captains did a great job of tagging and storing our luggage on checkout day while we were at the game. We asked for a taxi one night to go to Little Italy and the bell captain had one lined up in less than two minutes. If you've checked out and have a later departure, the ground floor has many comfortable seating areas where you can relax between activities.

Cons? After trying Shirley's during our first stay, we decided to forego the hour-long wait and go in-house to breakfast. The wait was just as long and the service was brusque; it was obvious our waitress was over-worked and over-loaded with tables. The front desk was efficient but not welcoming.
Although we've experienced friendlier reception at other Baltimore hotels, the room amenities, location, and services at Renaissance Harbour makes it our favorite Baltimore lodging to date.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Stayed here for two nights attending Otakon and preparing for a meeting before moving on to Washington DC for a few days of meeting. Love this hotel. Its modern with sleek lobby and rooms. The restaurant is stunning with a great view onto the inner harbour. It has its own mini shopping mall "Gallery" and for Starbuck addicts, it has a Starbuck in the mall. It has a good atmosphere, with non-stop jazz as background music in the lobby. Concierge is very helpful and very knowledgeable. Reception counter staff very patient and helpful. Location is great. It is on the inner harbour. which is very pretty, and "the place" to be. Among all the hotels in Baltimore, it has the best location. What makes a good hotel ? Good decor, good maintenance/upkeep (including everything in the room need to work), good location, convenience for shops/restaurants, friendly/knowledgeable staff, good atmosphere. This hotel tick all the boxes.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel during the final weekend in July, with my friends. We had a room on the 7th floor with two queens.

CHECKOUT / CHECK-IN / INITIAL IMPRESSION:
The hotel seemed clean, and the staff seemed relatively knowledgeable. However, the person at the front desk took several minutes to see my name on the reservation that I had made, despite the fact that they were staring straight at it. There were multiple names on the reservation, and I was nearly told I could not check in until he finally noticed my name in big letters right on top of the reservation. Chalk that one up to being tired I suppose, I understand.

Next I was informed that my debit/credit card would have an amount of 100.00 held on it for incidentals. I have never been to a hotel where this was done before -- always, there was a card on file for incidentals that would be charged as thing were taken. To automatically assume I'm going to drink 25 bottles of overpriced water over the weekend is insane. Whatever, I went with it. Needless to say, we did not use a thing, and yet my 100.00 has not been returned to my card yet. I'm still working on that (came home three days ago).

Upon checkout, my card was AGAIN charged without being told until after it was charged for our parking. I had cash in my hand prepared to pay the guy, and he walked off and came back and said "Okay, we charged your card for xyz amount that you owed for parking." Fine, it's not like I couldn't afford it, but the obliviousness of the fact that I had 80.00 in hand cash and was trying to hand it to him directly was almost enough for me to want to scream.

The staff is, to say the least, incredibly unhelpful and lacking any sort of politeness, tact, or apparently common sense. One night I was even carded the moment I walked in the door for my hotel key, as if they would deny me entry to my room if I wasn't currently holding one (I don't doubt for a second that they would have either). For the record I am not a teenager, I am not a suspicious looking person, and I was not drinking. So they had no possible stereotype / bias to even profile me on, as if my whole goal was to sneak into a Baltimore marriot at 2am? Please.

VALUE:
Prices were abhorrent here.
-20 oz. sodas were nearly 3.00 at the in-hotel cafe located downstairs.
-On-site parking in their garage is 26.00 per day, per vehicle, even for hotel guests.
-Room rates started at about 300/night.

The worst part was that for your nearly 300 a night, you don't get hardly anything. What you'll get is one king or two queens in a CONNECTED room (yes, this plays into the story later...).
What else you get / don't get:

-No available wi-fi or hardline internet in the rooms. You can pay 12.95 a day to recieve it in the conference / business center, but you will not be able to get that signal from the higher floors (I tried). Even the roach motel down the street from me has wi-fi...get real Marriott. Free wi-fi is only available in the "lounge" area, which is directly connected to the main entrance, elevato area, and check-in area. No walls to create any seclusion whatsoever, just a few tables and a few couches in the main lobby.

-No mini fridge or ice bucket was provided.
-The "beverages and ice" room actually only had ice in it...no beverages or even beverage machine to speak of.
-An archaic iron and ironing board were present, but there was no microwave.
-There are probably less than 25 channels on their TV (which to their credit is a large, relatively nice flat panel).
-Walls and doors are paper thin, I could hear every single word people in adjoining rooms and in the hallway were saying, clearly as if they were in my hotel room. So say goodbye to privacy.
-No continental breakfast is included.

THE STAY:
The beds were pretty comfortable and I slept very well, though the fact that I was utterly exhausted at the end of each day was probably helpful in that regard.

Around 8am Saturday morning (we finally crashed around probably six hours prior) my brother and I were awoken by screams of children playing in the room next to us -- screaming to their parents "ONE TWO THREE FOUR TIME TO WAAAAKE UP" and then continually trying to open the door that connects the rooms. Thankfully after that morning they apparently checked out, as no more screaming children were heard.

The fact that high dollar hotel rooms like this connect, particularly when we didn't request any sort of thing, is ridiculous to me. I shouldn't be able to hear screaming children, nor worry about them trying to open the door into my room at 8am. What if the door was unlocked?

I can't blame the hotel for how other people's children act -- but I can sure blame them for the lack of noise control and access doors between rooms.

OVERALL:

I have stayed in high dollar, big name hotels. I have stayed in cruddy, bottom tier motels. I've stayed in everything in between.

Thankfully, we are Silver (once gold) members and burned points to stay here -- because if I'd paid cash, I would be out nearly 1000 dollars plus parking to have had this awful experience. I was infuriated with how poorly this hotel was run and managed, how awful the customer service was, and how lacking in quality my room was for the level this hotel is SUPPOSED to be at.

I would never ever recommend this hotel to someone, nor will I be staying there again. This was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had, and the only part that I'm happy about is that I didn't have to pay full price for it.

I wouldn't be upset if this was a 100.00 a night place. However, this is a prime example of running a cheap cruddy hotel in a decent location and charging primo dollar for it. I've stayed at other hotels in the area and this one is FAR inferior to them.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

With a sleek and inviting first floor, the Renaissance hotel is a hub of activity while maintaining an intimate feel. The front desk staff offered great service and even allowed us to check in early morning after seeing our wary children. The room was clean and offered a beautiful view of the skyline. The hotel is conveniently located near all major attractions. While parking was a bit pricey, we were able to enter and exit the hotel on multiple occasions with one standard fee that allows parking for up to 30 hours. Bertha's was a quick drive, as well as Faidleys, and the aquarium is within walking distance. Hotel dining was not as extensive as we would have wished but the kids' breakfast meals offered a large quantity for a very small price (under $6.00). This hotel adequately met our expectations; if there were "magical touches" that would offer each guest a sense of the Renaissance trademark, this hotel would be a must visit in MD.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel? Share your experiences!