“Location is Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Taos, New Mexico
“Location is Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had a 4 night stay in June to attend a trade show. Location of this hotel is right on the Inner Harbor, easy walk to convention center and attractions such as the National Aquarium. Price was a great Priceline rate, the rate on Marriott.com was over 3 times the price. That said, I would never pay the full price here since there are many better hotels in the immediate area.
This property has adequate staff, but there seemed to always be dishes stacked in the hall, a lack of door and bell staff when needed and a very impersonal attitude.
The rooms are fine and there are some that face the inner area of the hotel that offer very quiet accommodations. The walls are very thin and the noise in the hall can be heard at all hours, doors slamming, housekeeping, etc.
The price was right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
renhar, Executive Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am happy you were able to enjoy our spectacular location and the many sites and restaurants within walking distance. Your feedback regarding a few need areas is certainly appreciated. As always, issues brought to our attention will be reviewed and addressed. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Executive Guest Experience Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this location over Father's Day weekend. It just so happened that the O's were playing the Red Soxs that weekend. The hotel is across from the Inner Harbor so restaurants and shops are very close. My biggest issue with this hotel was service. When we arrived, the valet area was backed up. Attendants would come out, look at the cars, and then walk back into the hotel. It was like they were overwhelmed and didn't know what to do. We had to wait 15 minutes before they moved the first car (which was empty) out of the way in order to get to the next car. My next issue was with house keeping. We had to call the front desk 3 times in order to get extra towels delivered to our room (6:00 pm, 10:00 pm, and 8:00 am). My third issue was the breakfast area for members of their rewards program. We got there around 9:00 am and there were no clean utensils, plates, or glasses and they were out of drinks. Only one individual was working in the room when we arrived, and there was already a line of other guest waiting and unhappy.

At first, I was thinking that the hotel was having a difficult time because of the baseball game then I thought that could not be the case. The O's play the Yankees and the Red Soxs often so the hotel should have been better prepared. If you want something close to the inner harbor, this is it, but if service is of importance to you, I would skip this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I do apologize for the service issues with housekeeping, etc. Yes it was a busy weekend but that is not an excuse for poor service. Please know that we appreciate your feedback and will review/adjust staffing levels accordingly. I do hope if your travels bring you back to the Inner Harbor you will consider the Renaissance Harborplace again and experience the many wonderful things our hotel has to offer. Please contact me directly if you do decide to return.

pam.saleh@renaissancehotels.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

i stayed for three days in June 2013 for a legal conference. The location was great. it is directly across the street from the Inner Harbor so earting at lunch was easy. Lots of restaurants within walking distance such as Fogo de Chao, Ouzo Bay, Cheesecake Factory, Ruths Chris, Sullivans, etc. Also, nightlife looked close although I did not visit during conference. You can walk to the water taxi that takes you to Fells Point, Ft. McHenry and other sites. I overlooked the harbor and USS Constellation. Great room. Staff was wonderful and accommodating when I needed to shorten my stay and get a late check out. Room was very comfortable. Loved the bed and all of the pillows. There was free wifi in the conference center and then paid in the rooms. It was easy to get on and worked well. I would stay here for a family vacation because of the location.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear you had a successful conference and enjoyable stay. I agree with your observation......we do have the best staff and our location can't be beat! Hopefully you can return with your family soon!

West Tisbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a good property with terrific views of the Baltimore harbor from rooms on the front of the hotel. It is a typical Renaissance hotel; fabulous beds, good-sized rooms. The only downside is the lack of staff picking up plates and other things outside people's doors put there during the day and evening. It needs better oversight of this issue. Very helpful staff. Great location. A good place to stay in downtown Baltimore. Good executive lounge.

Room Tip: Adk for a harbor view.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Renaissance Baltimore is adjacent to the inner harbor and in a convenient location to sports venues and inner harbor attractions as well as Little Italy. All of the above listed are within a 15 minute walk. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are quite spacious. Valet parking with in and access is available at an additional cost but is well worth it. The staff was quite friendly and always willing to make a suggestion. I would recommend this Marriott if you we're looking to be central to the inner harbor and sports venues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Really. You can't. You cannot get a better location. This hotel is connected to a mall and is across the street from another. Directly across the street is a historic ship and all the action. A short, relaxing stroll to everything. We parked when we got there and walked everywhere.

We brought our four kids here for a weekend of fun and we were not disappointed. But people, spring for the harbor view rooms! Our trip would not have been the same if we were stuck in a room overlooking the courtyard or facing another building. Opening up those drapes and seeing that view was a major part of our fun.

The hotel itself is nicely decorated and the rooms are as well. Very comfy beds. Nice Aveda amenities. Clean and comfortable. Nice staff, especially J.P. at the front desk.

Other notes:
- The pool is too small. Uncomfortably so when there are 25 people in it, as it was when we were there. It really needs to be double the size. Also, I was freezing while fully dressed on the side of the pool. Indoor pool areas should not be kept at 70 degrees.
- There was no full length mirror in the room. One is needed.

Overall, I do not think you will be disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Checked in(6/10/13)on a stormy Monday night after being asked to show my Government ID. After receiving my room key cards my coworker was submitted to the same Government ID process only to have the Hotel manager refuse to accept the same form of Government ID I presented.
Same manager then stated the room rate would be $260 ($165 over Govt per diem)per night.
Regrettably we were both forced to head back out into the stormy night to find other accommodations that consistently honor Government per diem rates.
Having been a Marriott Platinum member for years now I've come to expect, and have consistently received, Platinum quality customer service until now.
Sadly after identifying myself as a Marriott Platinum member the manager stated that it didn't mean anything.
Traveller beware, Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel management practice inconsistent rate policies and would well benefit from an extended training course in Customer Service and People Skills.
Rest assured this traveller will never stay at this Hotel again and is seriously considering the Marriott chain as my preferred choice of Hotels for all of my travel needs as the Platinum status has certainly lost its value.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
renhar, Executive Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your views on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for the issues surrounding your government ID and that of your traveling companion. We do strive to remain consistent with our acceptance of required identification while following our mandated policies and procedures. We certainly appreciate our Platinum members and do all we can to show our appreciation for our most loyal guests. I do hope you will reconsider your decision not to return to the Renaissance Harborplace. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back. If I can be of any assisance please contact me directly at 410-986-4802.

Executive Guest Experience Coordinator

Been to Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel? Share your experiences!