“Top Notch Service on an Extremely busy evening” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Baltimore Harbor Hotel

You added Baltimore Harbor Hotel to your Saves list
Baltimore Harbor Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 West Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21201 (Formerly Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #34 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersBronze level
Salisbury, Maryland
“Top Notch Service on an Extremely busy evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My fiance and our friends recently stayed for New Year's Eve and attended the Big Night Baltimore Celebration at the Sheraton City Center. I have to say our service was top notch, and Sheraton really went out of their way to make sure our stay was memorable.
The stay was a surprise for my fiance, and he didn't know that all of his friends were going to be staying and attending the celebration as well. I called the Sheraton the morning of our stay, and asked that our friends be able to check into our room to decorate it, and be in the room when we arrived to surprise him. This was not a problem at all, and they even played along with us when my fiance and I checked in. This was all during the height of chaos as so many were trying to check and and register for the event. The staff even switched around rooms to put all of our friends on the same floor in the same tower, and offered this before we even asked.
As far as our room, we upgraded to the suite, which was extremely spacious and had excellent views of the city. Our small mini bar was stocked with water and star bucks coffee - yes! The decor in the room was very modern, and the bed was very comfortable. The only bad thing would be that the water pressure was sort of low in the shower, but this can be expected because the hotel was certainly at their maximum occupancy.
Parking is a drag here, as self parking is not convenient, so you pretty much have to do valet - which is $32 a night.
All in all, I was very impressed with their personal customer service, especially during one of their busiest nights.

Room Tip: The south tower has more elevators, get a room here instead of the north tower as they only have one...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryann W, General Manager at Baltimore Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Allasassy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel. I was ecstatic to hear how special our Front Desk made your surprise for your fiance on New Year's Eve. We were also happy to hear how much you and your friends enjoyed the Big Night Baltimore Event and that you found the service to be excellent. It isnt easy with having over 2100 guests that attend this NYE event.

Wishing you and your fiance a Very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.

Maryann White

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Indonesian first
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The food was good, the room was very comfortable, and the staff was very helpful. Especially this one receptionist, I think her name was Sandi or Santia, something like that, but anyway she was very helpful in providing me with great information that I required. I can see myself coming back to the Sheraton city center for my next stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rome,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel. We are so happy that you enjoyed your guestroom and the food so much at the hotel. I was also ecstatic to hear how much you enjoyed the great customer service provided by Santia at our front desk. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are very happy that we were able to carry out this promise.

Smyrna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel rooms are rather small, but clean and comfortable. The staff was attentive and overall we felt well taken care of. The area seems a little rough late at night, armed guards at the seven eleven, a little odd I thought.

Room Tip: End units in north tower have great views, but rough noise.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel. I was happy to hear that you found your guestroom to be clean and comforatble and that the staff was very attentive to all of your needs.

Being located in a Downtown City, there are always areas in any big city that are less desirable than others. Rest assured that the City of Baltimore has great security with Police Officers on foot that are in these locations. Our staff is extremely knowledable in directing our guests to the the areas that are safe.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

We wish you a Very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.

Edgewood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you take 5 minutes and signup with starwood hotels, you can get access to their weekday rates for $79 a night. My fiance, Clifton, and I stay at this hotel every chance we get whenever we get to Baltimore. We drive a tractor trailer across the U.S.A and we stay at many different hotels along the way. The Sheraton Baltimore Center City is the place to be. Tessa and Ashley at the front desk are professional and extremely helpful to anyone within sight of the front desk. They go above and beyond the call of duty and could not be more pleased with their kindness and helpfulness. Never once did I see housekeeping here, which means they are doing their job very well. If you travel as much as we do, you don't want to see housekeeping everywhere you go. They clean the rooms and leave personal touches throughout, such as having lights that work, a very cold fridge in most rooms and smudge free windows along with extra towels at a moments notice and pillows galore!The rooms are impeccably clean and fresh. Both myself and my fiance are smokers, but appreciate a non-smoking hotel as much if not more than a non-smoker would. We don't mind a bit to walk outside to have a smoke. As far as the neighborhood goes...Some reviews on here are negative stating that the area is rough and there are no restaurants nearby. If you don't understand what city center means then you shouldn't stay here expecting it to be something like the richest part of town with limos and white people only. Baltimore is a melting pot of cultures and many different peoples of many different lands. It is the center of a bustling city of over 650,000, so yes there are going to be people walking by asking for change or cigarettes. IT IS DOWNTOWN AFTER ALL, I mean come on people. If you are polite they will be polite.

As far as restaurants go, there is a lovely restaurant downstairs with the most amazing crabcakes in the city as well as a fully stocked bar and happy hour specials are the best. Steven, the daytime restaurant manager, spares no expense to make you dining experience the penultimate dining experience. Thank you for your expertise and attention to detail Steven. Evette is one of the servers their that makes you feel like you are sitting at mom's kitchen table eating a home cooked meal. I can say that between Steven and Evette, you will not be disappointed in your dining experience at the hotel. They know what excellent customer service is and they do it seemingly effortlessly, and we appreciate that greatly. Thank you Steven and Evette. Drinks at the bar couldn't have been more exciting.

Micah and Steve, the bartenders, are such a refreshing delight, willing to do whatever it takes to make you experience top notch. They know the area and all of the splendors Baltimore has to offer, so sidetrack them when you can to get the inside scoop of the best places around town. Micah and I even created a new beverage, Harbor Water...try it, you will want more than one, guaranteed! She and Steve really know how to make you feel like you are at your hometown dive having drinks with close friends. They are the bees knees!

If you would rather go out, go get a charm card for the public transit system...its so cheap and way quicker than taxi or having your own car their. Buses pickup right across the street and are coming by every few minutes. We walked all over the city as well as utilized the buses, light rail, and subway. Why drive when you can get chauferred by polite and friendly city employees!

Overall, if I could rate it a ten I would. We have stayed here many times and we will stay here many more. This is and always will be our go-to hotel when we are anywhere near Baltimore. We actually talked with Nikki Curry, such a spectacular, bubbly lady with every tidbit of info about the hotel you could possibly need to know, about planning our wedding here in October of 2013. I can't wait to share this gem of Center City Baltimore with my family and friends!

Thank you Tessa, Ashley, Steven, Evette, Micah, Steve, and Nikki for making our stays here at the SBCC the absolute destination for us. We did not ever expect to be treated so well here, and we appreciate you all making it feel like we are home! Please keep up the impeccable service and happy memories you have helped us create here in Baltimore! Thank you so much!

Matthew Bell and Clifton Lambert, Jr.

Room Tip: Sign up to become a Starwood Preferred Guest to get the lowest rates with the higest of customer ser...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryann W, General Manager at Baltimore Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Matthew and Clifton,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel. I was ecstatic to hear how much you appreciated the great service provided by so many of our staff from the Front Desk and Restaurant. We were thrilled to hear how they made your stay so special. Rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with the entire staff and will be sure to recognize the outstanding service provided by Tessa, Ashley, Steven, Micah, Yvette, Steve and Nikki. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are very happy that we were able to carry out this promise.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if you ever need anything. Have a Very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a visit to Baltimore and it wasn't a very pleasant experience. The reception was very good but the room looked like it wasn't well maintained. We found a wet and dirty towel between clean towels and when we complained about it, we were offered free breakfast which was a laudable response but the breakfast itself was barely edible- cold, shriveled sausages, bland scrambled eggs and cold hot chocolate. At check-out, we were charged twice for a one-day internet usage. Discussing with a friend who had stayed there previously made me realise it wasn't a one-time bad experience because she also experienced such. Not recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel. Please accept our apologies for some of the issues you had during your recent visit. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise.

I will be working with both Housekeeping and the Restaurant on the issues you had while staying with us. There is absolutely no excuse for having a dirty towel in a guestroom and cold food served. If you could kindly contact me at the hotel and give me details on your room, it would allow us to discipline and correct these issues for the associates responsible.

Once again, please accept our apologies, and please call me personally if you would like to come back to the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel for a future stay. Have a Very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the SBCC. We decided to take a quick weekend getaway after the Thanksgiving Holiday. We found a great rate on Hotwire and having stayed at this Hotel in the past, we were happy to be returning to the SBCC. Upon check in, we were given a high floor room with a city view, and the front desk agent provided both of our Children with a "Kids Care Pack", which the kids loved. Room was typical, 2 queen beds, and a bathroom, nothing fancy, but typical hotel room. This hotel is short walk to Inner Harbor, which was ideal with small children. We did not use the Hotel Parking, since there is a public parking garage directly across the street from this hotel, and it was cheaper than the valet parking the hotel offers. Overall, we were satisfied with our 1 night stay. It was several days later, that I realized we scammed by someone at the Hotel!

We used the convienience of the video check out. SInce we had booked through Hotwire, our room was paid in full, so of course the "Folio" showed $0.00. We checked out, dropped our keys in the drop box and were on our way, another problem free trip.....or so we thought. Several days after our stay, I was reviewing my credit card statement and noticed a charge of $60.00 to my credit card by Sheraton Hotels. I found this odd as we had paid for our room through Hotwire, which collects all fees upfront, and we did not use any hotel services or parking. So how can I have a charge to my account? I contacted my credit card company to confirm the charges. They confirmed that the charges were accurate and that the charge was manually keyed by the local hotel. Assuming it was an error by the hotel, I contacted the hotel directly. After being transferred to 3 different voicemail boxes, all for accounting, I became frustrated. I submitted an online inquiry to Starwood Hotels. The response I recevied was that customer care had contacted the local hotel manager and he advised that the charges were NOT from Sheraton Hotels, and that I had to deal with Hotwire or my Credit Card company about the charges...Really! Someone at your hotel fraudulently added unauthorized charges to my credit card and you pass the blame on to another company. I contacted Hotwire and my credit card company to again confirm all charges, and again they advised that the charges were from Sheraton Hotels. After 7 emails, 3 phone calls, and an email to their corporate customer relations, I was advised by a customer service agent that they would be sending me a check for the amount that was incorreclty charged to my credit card. 3 weeks later, I still have not been credited the amount or recevied payment for the funds that were fraudulently charged to my credit card, I have received no response from the local Hotel Management (Phone or Email) in regard to my complaint to acknowledge it, and I have received no explaination or apology for the situation. I guess the hotel manager has chosen to hide behind the customer service representative and not take accountability for the fraud that has occured by one of his staff members. Hopefully whoever recevied the funds that were fraudulently charged, enjoys the extra money for the Holidays! Needless to say, we will never stay at a Starwood Property again and my faith as a frequent customer of Starwood Hotels has been completely destroyed due to the lack of ownership and accountability by Management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
juan w, Director of Room Operations at Baltimore Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

I apologize that we failed to follow through with a memorable service experience that started off so well. Our responsiveness and failure to reply is embarrassing and not the way we typically treat our guests. Your loyalty to the Starwood brand is very important to us and we take your feedback serious. I would like to speak with you personally regarding your concerns so that I may ensure that your account has been properly credited. I would also use this time to discuss ways to recover from your experience. We believe in providing our guest with a quality experience from beginning to end. This includes proper billing set up and charging. I can assure you that we had no intent on manipulating your account or causing negative impact. We have taken corrective action to prevent instances like this from reoccurring. At your convenience, please contact the hotel and ask to speak with the Director of Rooms regarding a previous experience and billing concerns. I have a detailed account of what I think is your folio, but I would like to confirm your visit. Thank you for your time and attention in this regard and I look forward to restoring your faith back into our brand and specifically at the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel.

King Regards & Happy Holidays,

Juan A. Webster
Director of Room Operations
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have been a guest in the Sheraton Baltimore City Center for the past 20 months, the staff is always friendly and willing to accommodate my requests. Santia has always an smile and positive attitude when checking-in. The amenities in the hotel are adequate and the service in the Lounge is excellent. The management listens to our feedback and make changes when necessary which is very important and makes us feel at home when away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
juan w, Director of Room Operations at Baltimore Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest-

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your most recent visit and your ongoing visits to our property over the past 20 months. We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. I can assure you that our staff is always eager to provide you with the best service and each stay we make sure you are a priority. I am not surprised that Santia has made an excellent impression on you as she continues to be a shining star for the hotel. In addition, I am pleased to hear your satisfaction with the club lounge. I will be glad to share your feedback with all of the team including Santia and the Club Lounge staff. If there is ever anything that we may be able to assist you with, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We value you and all the relationships you have developed since your first arrival. Happy Holidays and we wish you the best in 2013.
Kind Regards,

Juan A. Webster
Director of Operations
Sheraton Baltimore City Center

Been to Baltimore Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!