“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Princeton, NJ
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Baltimore last minute for our anniversary. We ended up getting a good deal on Priceline and were excited to stay at the Hyatt. The first room we had was a corner room and while it was nice and clean, I just expected more. It seemed very cold and not decorated really nice. I actually thought they forgot to put a bedspread on, but it was a white sheet over a duvet. Sort of weird. That night after we got home from having drinks, the toilet didn't flush. We figure it would sort it self out and waited until morning, but it still was not working when we woke up. We called the front desk and an engineer came up immediately and plunged the toilet and declared that it was fine and working. When I used it, it still seemed like it was very slow and not working properly. When I took a shower, the drain was also very slow and I stood in 2 inches of water the whole time. My boyfriend had to wait 15 minutes for water to drain so he could shower. We called the front desk and the very polite girl moved us to another room. Again, I just didn't think the rooms were warm or welcoming. Guess what? next morning the toilet didn't flush.

Everyone was very pleasant at the hotel, but I just didn't think it was 4 stars material. They did have a nice flat screen tv and the sound machine was a nice touch and definitely needed when the traffic started up early in the morning. We are planning another trip soon, but I think we will end up staying at another hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the first hotel review I've ever written. I'm the easiest guest a hotel could ask for. Mostly because I usually check-in, don't say much or really ask for anything, go straight to my room and checkout the next day. That being said I actually spent an hour at this hotel on their couch this past Saturday afternoon resting, after a long day walking around Baltimore and I was amazed at what I saw. I saw employees who stopped at nothing to help guests and were very proactive in doing so.

Whether it was people at the desk asking a passerby if they needed anything, or a gentlemen meticulously ensuring that a couple's 10 year anniversary was special with a window view of the harbor I was just amazed at how caring and how engaged the staff was here. Even as I entered the building people always made eye contact and greeted me. I checked in with their kiosk system but so much as a glance in the direction of staff on my way to my room drew immediate attention to me and if I had any concerns or needs. We actually forgot our phone charger but one of the employees made huge efforts to try and find one which I felt was above and beyond. Despite booking the room with priceline we were put up in a very nice room on the next to top floor with a partial view of the harbor which I thought was exceeding expectations as well. Upon checking out they waived an internet charge and stored our bags for 5 hours while we checked out Baltimore. There just wasn't a single thing to complain about here. My standards are fairly high and they exceeded each one at this hotel.

By the way the access to the harbor was quick and easy, with an elevated walkway that drops you right into the heart of Baltimore's biggest attraction. Rooms were clean and even the housekeeper was friendly as I was leaving. It was just a nice experience here and I appreciate employees just being nice and genuinely caring.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful review! I am elated your experience at our property exceeded expectations. We have a great staff that prides themselves on providing excellent service to our guests. I will be sure to let the management team know you found the staff to be top notch. It sounds like you really enjoyed your room and found the location of the property to be very convenient. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Nice! A hotel where it really is all about the guest experience. The hotel itself was lovely, but the real asset was the customer service. Even though our two night reservation was booked through a discounter, every single staffer treated us as special customers. Staff are warm, friendly, and responsive. We had a few simple requests which were happily accommodated, with personal and warm attention from management.

The room was tastefully furnished, comfortable, and meticulous, although guests may want to know that room 'refreshing' may be scheduled later than you might expect. (Apparently Housekeeping can 'expedite' if you'd like them to come earlier. I would do that next time.)

Although we were not in Baltimore for touring, the hotel is perfectly located for walkable Inner Harbor activities, and is close to trendy neighborhoods for upscale dining choices. We didn't valet the car, as a less expensive self-park garage is attached to the hotel, but even those valet guys were helpful and welcoming. It's pretty clear that management must instill a 'We love our guests!' mantra into employees throughout the entire organization.

My daughter and I return to Baltimore periodically, and I'd consider it a 'score' to be able to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our property. It is always great to hear when our guests experience exceeds expectations. Your comments regarding the staff are greatly appreciated. Our staff takes great pride in the service they offer to our guests. We want to make sure all of our guests needs and requests are accommodated. I look forward to your next stay when you return to Baltimore. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We parked at the Hyatt to go to the National Aquarium with two small children. The staff could not have been nicer. They offered directions, parked the car, showed us the walkway to get there without facing street traffic! If we ever need a room in Baltimore, this is the place!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words they are greatly appreciated. We have a great staff that wants to assist everyone. We hope to welcome you for a stay in the future. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in the Hyatt Regency Baltimore for three nights during a conference. While the convention center map was a bit deceiving - the Hyatt seemed much closer to the cc than the Hilton, but due to the covered walkway from the Hilton (vs uncovered from the Hyatt) it seemed farther.

Service was excellent overall, the staff seemed genuinely friendly and helpful. The regency club breakfast was simple but high quality continental - perfect for me. As was the 24h access to fruit yogurt and beverages. The internet access was so-so, basic service ( free with my GoldPassport platinum status ) covers only one device, not realizing this I connected my phone on the way to my room. Unfortunately, in order to change devices you must not connect the original device for 24h, so I was stuck with it for three days. Public Internet is available in the lobby for free in 30 minute increments.

I stayed in a harbor view king, which was comfortable and clean. After the bad weather on the first day I wondered if I should have taken the non-harbor side room on the club floor, but after it cleared up I was happy to have the view. The bathroom had a standing shower which was nice, but would have benefitted from a stool or bench for shaving. The carpet and furniture showed some wear/stains but were in good shape. I turned the couch around so I could stare out the window leisurely.

Overall the Hyatt Regency may not be the best hotel in town, but it's convenient location and pleasant staff make it a good choice for people coming to the convention center.

• Stayed March 2013
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

For 15-20 days a year I come to this hotel with my wife and daughter on business. And while the people all know me there
and always are there for my family sometimes things can still go wrong. It's great to walk in and be greeted by your name, and there is Joe, who instead of having us take two cabs to Della Notte for dinner, surprised us with a stretch limo. My daughter & her best friend couldn't stop talking about it all night. The management did reach out to my on many levels when they discovered we weren't having our usual great time. I love this Hotel. I pay double or more to stay here when all of my other employees stay at competing hotels because of the show rate's. I will be going back because I am a Hyatt Diamond member and I don't stay anywhere else. I know that the Hyatt has its way of promoting within and that everyone has to learn all of what it takes, but if I could say one thing. Your weakest link is where you should be the strongest. The front line, the people who greet you when you walk in the door. The support behind the front desk that is always there to support the frequent guest who come there and one last thing, Learn to know the difference between the guest who are so grateful for what you do to make their stay wonderful versus the ones that keep asking for more and you can't do enough for them.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for night as a quick little jaunt to get away from DC for a day. It was pretty confusing getting to the hotel because this fat nasty little cop was directing traffic away from the only road to the hotel because of construction. We called and the hotel was more helpful in getting us past this lady. The hotel was a very nice place, great service from the front desk, and great restaurant service. We were upgraded to a harbor view and although the harbor is nothing to write home about it was very nice to get a room with a view. I love the Hyatt beds and I was so happy to escape my twin bed in DC for 1 night to a queen in Baltimore Not much happening in the winter times in the city the harbor was pretty dead but I bet during the summer this is a very happening place and a great hotel to stay at. I think you will be pleased if you stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbor View
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi Irish311,

Thank you for taking an opportunity to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Baltimore. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your quick getaway from D.C. Our employees will be recognized for the great service provided during your visit. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you want to have an overnight away from home.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Baltimore? Share your experiences!