“Stay away from room 1159” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Baltimore
gloucester va
“Stay away from room 1159”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor, Baltimore MD for 3 nights. The room I was given was triangular. No kidding, it only had 3 walls. Made for some interesting angles for the layout. Otherwise the bed was comfortable. The fitness room was clean with fairly new equipment. The web check in didn't work. I did the web check in, and still had to go to the desk to get my key. The hotel was clean and convenient to the inner harbor. I would stay here again, just not in the same room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is easy to get to and has ample parking. Self parking option is convenient and check in rapid and efficient either electronically or with a person. The access to the convention center via the second floor was often obstructed by parties, and this was less than ideal.
The Skywalk connects to the convention center and the inner harbor. If these are being monitored for safety and security, signs to that effect could be reassuring. This is also true of the parking garage, as it is accessed outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floor harbor view quite nice
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This Hyatt hotel is literally on the inner harbor, with many dining and shoppping options nearby (the Kona Grill around the corner was delicous).

I was attending a large conference and the hotel staff was very accomodating and always maintained a high level of service.

The rooms were an average size for what you would expect in a large city, not too small but not huge. There was a small chaise lounge by the window. We had a bit of a view of the water, which was cool especially at night. We also liked the white noise machine in our room- it was a big help for drowning out little noises. Our room, on the 11th floor, had two full beds, so it might be a little small for two people to share a bed.

I have just a few small complaints. The restrooms in the common areas (by the ballroom) could get quite dirty through the day. The elevators seemed to move quite slow, but then again, the hotel was completely booked.

Room Tip: ask for a harbor view room
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Do I expect too much from $300/night Hyatt Regency hotel? I thought they used to be the gold standard for business traveler comfort. Hyatt Place has far better rooms and comfort for a fraction of the price.

In was in Baltimore for a conference at the Sheraton Inner Harbor across the street from the Hyatt. I couldn’t get a room at the Sheraton, and the Hyatt was the closest alternative. I was there three nights. I shelled out more than $100 over the going rate at other nearby hotels not just for the convenience to the Sheraton, but because of the Hyatt standards.

The staff was really exceptional – from the moment I checked in at 2:00 a.m. (four hours late) to the moment I departed (in a hurry after late check out) for my train, the staff at this hotel really knows how to treat you with decency and responsiveness. I had a room on the 8th floor, with two “full” beds, which was fine for just me. But, it would not be suitable for two people to sleep in one of those beds. The room was fine, it was basic, and other than the basic linens, it didn’t have any of the nice accouterments that make a room feel and look nice. For instance, they have a catalogue in the room with bedspreads, throws and specialty pillows that they didn’t have in the room. I barely used my room except to sleep and shower – and so despite the exceptional staff, I have some issues, which I related (to the really professional woman at the front desk) upon check out. If just one of these things happened, I would not complain.
You have to special request a robe. There was no lotion and no luggage rack in the room. I can bring these things myself, but when I stay at a Hyatt for almost $300 a night, I want them to be provided as advertised without asking. The soap & shampoo were not replenished during my stay, and so my last morning there, I had no shampoo or conditioner.

My room was noisy. Whenever the heat kicked on it literally sounded like the first minute of left-handed chopsticks being played on a piano. Other noises were constant I think from the plumbing. My view was the garage, and there was no balcony, but I could hear people talking as if it were coming right through the window. The coup de gras, on my last night, several hundred teenagers checked in for a Key Club event. Key Club kids are good kids, and I remember when I was that age and I don’t begrudge them a single bit of fun. Even the best, most courteous, and polite kids in the world, when gathered all together, are still super loud. And they can stay up super late. I don’t know the answer for hotels when this happens. I don’t know whether it is possible to house all the middle aged, tired working mothers on one floor, but I suspect this is not an uncommon occurrence. The front desk was prepared for this upon check out.

Just a couple more things: the express check out on the tv didn't work and the $14.95/day internet fee for “high speed” connection for up to three devices, did not work on more than one of my devices and I couldn’t download the material I wanted to download. I couldn’t view the documents I wanted to view. They took off one day of internet charges, but it was very frustrating. I don't think their internet has the capacity to serve the internet demand.

On my last day, I couldn't get breakfast because the buffet and restaurant were closed/full of Key Club participants. I had to go to my 8:00 a.m. conference empty. If I had known, I would have ordered room service or started early so I could get a quick bite. Because I could not get into the restaurant or buffet for breakfast, they comped my lunch. I had lunch in Bistro 300. The lunch menu looked great, but really only had salads and sandwiches, which I like but didn’t want. The waiter asked what I wanted and he would ask chef, so I requested a piece of fish and vegetables, which the chef prepared off menu. For $25, it was a good value. It was beautifully prepared, and I would say not your typical hotel food at all. Nice job both by server and chef.

Even with the catalog of problems I have set forth, I would actually stay there again just on the staff’s professionalism. Oh, and the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask whether there is a conference going on at the same time you are there, and what kind. I wouldn...
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Location was great with easy access to the Harbor and surrounding neighborhoods including Federal Hill, Fells Point, downtown, and the Camden Yards area. Bathroom was spotless, high-quality, and in like-new condition. Bed was comfortable, amenities in the room were great. Lobby always had ice water available infused with different varieties of fresh fruit, which was awesome and a nice welcoming touch. Only drawback was the corner room that I had was kind of noisy, it seemed like the hallway and stairway noise funneled back towards the door to my room. But overall I was very happy with this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms next to the stairwell (with tile outside the door) due to noise issues.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. It’s exciting to read that you found the location to be perfect for your travel. Being in the heart of the Inner Harbor makes it very easy and convenient for our guests to explore. I’m glad that you enjoyed your guest room and found it to be well appointed. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Baltimore for your recent stay. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We choose the Hyatt because they had one if the best rate. Upon arrival we were really impressed with the location. Everything was so close and our aquarium passes were included in our nightly rate. We had trouble opening the Mini bar so the head of housekeeping came upstairs and brought 12 sodas a bottle of when and 2 wine glasses and snacks for the kids all for free. Definitly going back! I highly recommend the new ripleys believe it or not. It is right across the street from the hotel and was a blast!

• Stayed March 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Baltimore! I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. It sounds like you found the location and the service to be excellent. I'm glad the housekeeping manager was able to accommodate you and your family since the mini bar wasn't functioning properly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
huntington, wv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

very nice place, just across the street from the harbor activities (reached via a walking bridge, albeit an open one). VERY friendly staff. got some good suggestions for dinner from the desk folks. the only negatives: i thought the food at the bistro was mediocre, and the beer was very expensive, even for Baltimore standards

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Baltimore? Share your experiences!