“Can't wait to stay again!” 5 of 5 stars

Customize Your Stay!
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salisbury, Maryland
“Can't wait to stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at the Royal Sonesta to celebrate our anniversary. They made our experience absolutely wonderful. The room was incredible. We had a suite and I have never seen a bathtub so large. The views were unbeatable, the view of the Inner Harbor was beautiful. The location could not be any better for visiting the Harbor. We will absolutely return again.

Room Tip: The harbor views are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Shelbyrd,
Thank you for your great 5-star review! We are very pleased you had such a great experience at our Inner Harbor hotel. Happy Anniversary, too! We look forward to seeing you again and please spread the word to others planning a visit to the Baltimore area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We reserved a courtyard view for our "mini vacation" to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Getting there early, we knew our room wouldn't be ready, but the hotel tagged our bags and took care of them for us, while we had a walk around to get our bearing and some lunch.
Being a short walk to the historic ships, the Nat'l Aquarium, Harborplace, and across the street from the Science Center was just perfect for us.

Getting back, our room was ready on time and a bellman took our bags up to the room. Here we had our first surprise in that instead of a courtyard view got a Harbor view! Excellent!
The lobby, hallways and room, while modern, were made up to look like a 1940's (guessing) hotle filled with antiques. I like that.
The staff was uber helpful, and almost over the top friendly. Everyone was saying "Good morning" or "Hello", "How are you?" etc... Nice touch.
We ordered room service for a late dinner that night and breakfast the next morning. That was pretty expensive and not something you'd want to do every day. With all the restaurants nearby we didn't take advantage of the hotel restaurants. But we did go to Formula Espresso, a sort of cafe, for breakfast one morning. It was comparatively expensive, but it fit the bill when you just wanted a quick bite to eat and some coffee before heading out to do some sightseeing. The one "Con" I found was the Formula Espresso closes at 5PM. At the time we went it was rather cold outside with on and off rain. So with a young child you weren't about to linger around harborside. So after dark you were in your room rather early. It would have been nice to be able to run down for a coffee or soda and some chips to watch a movie or TV show.

The rooms were kept very clean and the bed, we had one King (and a rollaway for the kid), was very comfortable. The floor was very quiet, and we had restful nights.
I would have no problems recommending the Royal Sonesta to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear RockMan,
We appreciate your detailed and very positive review. Sonesta started managing this property last summer, so thanks for spreading the word about our Inner Harbor hotel. We are glad you had a great stay with us and look forward to your return when travel permits. Yes, Forumla Espresso is a great option for coffee and snacks, and your comment for closing at 5pm is understood. The demand for that outlet is much greater in the morning and around midday, than in the evening, but your point is well taken and will be considered. Thanks again for your very positive comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very nice place to stay right in the heart of downtown Baltimore at the Harbor. Excellent location....... beautiful Hotel. Front desk was very accommodating to locate us next to the couple we came with. They even upgraded our room (at no extra charge) so that we could be next to them. We had a great experience staying here and will definitely return. The room and bathroom was very clean and the bed and the pillows were extremely comfie………. Top notch stay!! However I will say one negative……………THE PARKING GARAGE FEES ARE EXTREEMLY HIGH! TOTAL RIP OFF!! The hotel should give you a voucher to offset the parking fees.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Reneey92,
Thank you for your 5-star review! Please allow me to address the parking situation at the hotel. The parking garage is NOT owned, or managed by the hotel in any way, shape, or form. We pay fees to them to allow our guests to park in their facility. Fortunately, we have negotiated a favorable rate for our guests to park in that garage, otherwise, the parking fees would be significantly higher. If you were to compare parking fees at other hotels across Inner Harbor, I am confident you will find the rates we provide for our guests compare favorably. That matter aside, we appreciate your staying with us and hope you will consider us again on future visits to Baltimore.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I came to Baltimore with my boyfriend for the weekend to experience the city & we decided to spend a little extra on the hotel. The hotel is very dated & the food is completely overpriced. The room was very spacious, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful, clean & new. However, the carpet from from the 1960s and the decor was from grandma's house! Also the TV was placed on the side of the room and not in front of the bed..furniture positioning In the room was not well thought out! The harbor view was nice but not worth the extra money. The parking is pricey however you can get around it if you buy the groupon as we did. We would not stay here again & not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear HotelPrincessJK,
Thanks for your review. I am not sure if you were aware, but Sonesta just recently started managing this property, so the condition of the rooms were a liability we accepted from the previous management company. However, our plan to is put the Sonesta brand stamp on this property just as we have at our locations around the world. Changes are coming and ones that will not solicit reactions such as yours. So, that's great news for future guests. In terms of parking, you will be hard pressed to find a hotel in the city that does not charge for parking. It is a reality as parking is a premium. Also, the hotel does not own the parking facility, it is an independent company. Fortunately, we have negotiated a favorable rate for overnight parking there, and much better than most locations in the city. So, your Groupon purchase was wise as the parking inclusion is an enormous value. I hope this addresses your comments completely.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I purchased the Junior Suite for two nights(Friday and Saturday). The room was very nice, spacious but very dated. They had a gigantic picture of a dog on the wall, the carpet was stained and outdated and the furniture looked like something I could find at my grandmother's house. The bathroom was amazing. The best bathroom I've ever used. Very big tub, nice shower, two sinks. It was great and the bed was comfortable. The view was nice as well, no complaints there. My complaints are mainly due to the charges surrounding the hotel. It costs $26/night to park in the parking garage attached to the hotel, which is beyond ridiculous (make sure you have exact change also because otherwise it gives you the dollar coins, and then does not except them when you try to pay with them). There is a $100/night security deposit which is also outrageous. I expected a security deposit but not for that much per night. Everything there is overpriced, as in every hotel, but for the price I paid for the room, I expected to be treated a little better with a few more complimentary items. I didn't spend $700+ for a room to have to then pay $6 for a small bag of peanuts out of the mini-bar. Also, with all the construction going on in the area, it's hard to avoid it, but it's especially hard to avoid it at this hotel. I don't believe I will be returning here, I came here for a weekend getaway with my girlfriend, and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting away from ever returning here again. Overall, average stay, could've had more fun with a couple hundred dollars back in my pocket in a regular room. Not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear AlecSherman1989,
Thank you for your comments. Please allow me to set the record straight on a couple of items from your recent visit. First, Sonesta started managing this property last June, so we are aware of the condition of the hotel under previous management. However, we are pleased to say that significant improvments are on the way, so stay tuned. Second, parking in Baltimore, especially at hotels is a premium, and in fact, our hotel parking rates are lower than most in the city. Our parking garage is not owned by us, but by a parking company. We have negotiated a better rate for our guests, otherwise, it would be significantly higher. If yuo stay at other hotels in the city, you will notice the difference. Lastly, the $100 hold was not a "security deposit." This is a standard hold for any debit card holder and is a standard industry practice. Nothing is removed from your account. Again, you will see this at any hotel in the city, or others if you travel often. Overall, our frequent guests understand us to be a great value, so we are disappointed you feel differently, but we definitely respect your opinion. Hopefully, this provides some clarity of our general hotel policies. Thanks again.
Phiiladelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Check in time is 3it and it us 6to and our room is not ready yet. I find this wuite disturbing start to our stay hete. I hope it gets better than this or i will go e sorely disappointed. This is certai ly not the wsy to start a vacatiin after traveling hours

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Ichorba,
We hope you had a great vacation and thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Baltimore. Our intention is to have arriving guests be able to check-in at the proper time, so having you wait to enjoy the comfort of your room is certainly not our intention. At times when we are sold out the night before, it creates a scenario where we must turn over and clean many rooms at one time, and sometimes this creates the delay. Certainly not an excuse in your case, but just wanted to explain operationally what may have transpired. Overall, we simply wished to make sure your room was clean and as spotless as possible before your check-in. We certainly hope that beyond this, your vacation for fun and enjoyable.
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed in this location while attending a moderate sized conference a few days ago. I've stayed in the hotel before while affiliated / managed by Intercontinental. It has always been a very quiet hotel and furnished with very plush finishings. Still found it to be very comfortable and led to an extremely comfortable sleep the two nights I was there. With new management, I thought there would have been some upgrades and changes - not that any were necessary - but there were none.

I did note one change since my last stay. The shower curtain was hung from what appeared to be a curtain track in the ceiling at the top of the shower. Apparently in mounting the shower curtain, they didn't align it with the tub as it hung 8 inches or so in from the edge of the tub. This made for a very narrow shower and it kept "sticking" to me while in the shower. This is a small matter, but very annoying.

They had also changed from providing the small "hotel bottles" of shampoo, conditioner and body wash, to a wall mounted dispenser in the shower. Although this kept me from trying to figure which bottle was which while trying to shower, unfortunately the dispenser was out of body wash and a bar of facial soap was all that was provided for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello TheShank,
Thank you for your positive review and comments. Sonesta started managing this hotel last June, so we are still very much at the early stages in the development of this property. I can tell you that we do have a plan for this great hotel and details will for forthcoming soon. Rest assured, you will see significant changes and ones I am sure you will appreciate. Meantime, we appreciate your patience, but hope you will share in our anticipation and promise of much better days ahead.

Been to Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore? Share your experiences!