“Hotel stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bensalem, pa.
“Hotel stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our stay was 5. Star quality. From valet parking(overpriced) to our room, to service, to the friendliness& helpfulness of everyone connected with the Hotel, we could not have asked for more. The Concierge, Jonathan, was extremely helpful with his suggestions for dinner both Fri. & Sat. Nights. The food was excellent at both restaurants. Ask for Harbor view room when making reservation. It was lovely. Everything was within walking distance of the hotel. Just beware of the taxes charged. They can really add up; room state tax, room occupancy tax, parking sales tax, & last but not least, room occupancy tax. Aside from that, everyone could not gave been nicer. Thank you to entire staff!

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view room when making reservation. Hotel itself, is extremely quiet, no matter which...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello Arlene L,
Thank you for your 5-star review! Aside from the taxes which all Baltimore city properties impose, it is great to hear to had such a great stay with us. Our location is definitely an advantage as many people select us because of our location on the west side of the Inner Harbor as it is more tranquil and closer to walkable areas in Federal Hill and along Light and Charles Streets. Once again, thanks so much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arriving at the hotel suggests an upscale establishment which is not part of the big chain systems. The room layout was very nice. It was a good fit for my family (1 young child). There was a nice sofa bed tucked into an alcove giving some small privacy to a single room. Being located directly behind the elevators was a gigantic minus. Why a hotel would put anyone in this room unless it was the last one is baffling. The hotel pool was an excellent exercise pool (entire pool was 5 ft in depth). The one meal (breakfast) at the hotel gave a clear indication that some part of the hotel management is lacking. After placing an order it took the kitchen/staff 30 minutes to let us know that the waffle maker was broken and they couldn't fill our order. It was also telling that during the 1.5 hours I spent at breakfast, their were 3 people in the wait staff and never more than 3 tables occupied but I had to ask for coffee refill every time. My wife was part of a continuing education class being hosted at the hotel. We had elected to stay the two nights to keep her from driving back and forth. It was also a fun way to visit the inner harbor for my daughter and I. Since the class went until almost 5 pm on the last day, I questioned the front desk about a late check out. There was no compromise by the clerk. We had to vacate the room by noon. As it happened the last night my daughter developed a stomach bug with the associated vomiting that always accompanies children. The night staff was very helpful and thoughtful at 3 in the morning when we requested some new linens. The hotel has the potential of being one of the best stays on the inner harbor -- if it works out some inconsistencies in the staff.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not behind the elevators. You will hear every time the cars run.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello Jeffrey M,
I appreciate your comments and will personally address your breakfast challenges and other constructive comments. As for the late checkout, we certainly are flexible under most circumstances, but not so much when we are sold out which was the case during your stay. Our staff must turnover those rooms for arrivings guests, or their check-n process will be delayed. Otherwise, it is customary to provide some flexibility with a late check-out. Again, your comments are very much noted as we strive to attain total guest satisfaction. We do have some upgrades and changes on the way, so I hope you will consider us when your travels bring you back to Baltimore.
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from a business trip at the Royal Sonesta, Baltimore. The location is great--right across the street from the Inner Harbor. However, The Royal Sonesta Baltimore is a hotel which is past its prime, like a Grand Dame who is no longer grand. The hotel looks to have been a wonderful hotel a few decades ago. Now, it is dated, and showing some wear around the edges. For instance, there were stains on the curtains and one of the outlets did not work in my room (room 329). The rooms are not modernized for our current technological age, there is no in-room wifi. The internet connection is via plug-in. There were no USB ports in the room for charging phones, tablets, and other electronics.

However, the in-room Keurig coffee maker was a nice touch. And, the room was spacious and the king-sized bed was comfortable.

Parking is not free at the Royal Sonesta, so expect to pay $26 for self-parking or $36 for valet parking per day.

I probably would not choose the Royal Sonesta for a personal family vacation, but for a short business trip, it served its purpose.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear ShellChelle901,
I appreciate your candid comments and review, so please allow me to address them personnaly for you. You can take some solice in the fact that Sonesta recently assumed management of this property. This certainly doesn't explain away the condition of the hotel when we arrived (mid-2012), but it gives me great pleasure to inform you that improvements on all levels on indeed on the way. I am more than confident that return visits after our sweeping changes will find a much different reaction. Maybe then, we can earn your praises and allow you to consider this fabled property "grande" status in your assessment. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to your return soon.
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I took my husband as a surprise for his 50th birthday. I used a groupon discount that included valet parking (self parking is $26 a night, valet is $36 a night). I had selected a harbor view room. When we got there the valets were extremely helpful even running back to the car to get my husbands hat and then brought it to our room. The clerk asked us why we were in town and when I mentioned my husbands birthday they upgraded us to a suite overlooking the harbor and then they gave us two passes to Howl at the moon. The room was great (you do have to pay for the minibar) but they have K cup coffees and teas for free. Down pillows, bed tops and comforters had us sleeping like a baby. The hotel is directly across from the cruise ships and in walking distance of everything. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get the harborview and look on groupon for discounts
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello Marcab19,
Thank you so much for your 5-star review and a belated Happy Birthday! We appreciate your taking time to submit your great comments and very pleased that you had such a pleasant stay. Our location on the Inner Harbor is definitely an advantage for us as you are an easy walk from anything going on down here. The Groupon offer was a great value and glad our staff recognized your special occasion and provided the upgrade. Look for future offers soon and we eagerly await your return to the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court.
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel was fine. When I returned back home, I found a charge on my credit card for using the mini bar .. I called reservations today (10:50am, 3/1/13) and the lady was extremely rude. Manager - I hope you find out who picked up this call and suggest that she be more polite. She basically said that she doesn't know anything about the charge and she can't do anything about it. But then she transferred me to the accounting department, cutting me off mid-sentence.

THe 2 stars is for charging me for the mini-bar and poor customer service afterwards. I did use the refrigerator to put in my eyedrops and my own water bottles, so I probably shifted some items in there. The people who work there should count the number the items there instead of seeing what has been moved and charging me for items I did not use.

Room Tip: Check your credit card statement to make sure they did not charge you for items you did not use.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Suong C,
Thank you for submitting your response. We have investigated your case and our accounting department confirms the inadvertant charge was removed from your credit card bill. You should notice that credit in the coming days, if not sooner. We also appreciate your feedback on this credit, too. Meantime, we take great pride in providing the utmost in customer service as evidenced by other reviews here; however, your encounter is noted and we will make sure we inquire internally about your experience and make sure this is not repeated. Thank you again for your constructive comments.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and i visited there for a mini birthday vacation, upon our arrival, we were greeted by the bellmen, (friendly and knowledgeable) who helped me with my luggage and assisted me to my room. we were checked in by Mr. Knox who gave us some very good restaurant choices for my wife's birthday. the harbor view room was the perfect temperature, it was clean, all fixtures were gleaming as if we were in the golden palace! they have the most comfortable bedding ive ever slept in. its a bit of a labyrinth to navigate, but the signage is clear and concise. i did not get a chance to go for a swim in the pool, but we will save that for next time, because my wife and i will definitely be returning. thumbs up to the sonesta!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Jay R,
Thanks for choosing the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court to celebrate such a fun occasion. The photo you shared with this review was great and you definitely had an amazing view of the Inner Harbor. Sonesta took over management of this property last June, so look forward to more good things ahead here in Baltimore as we are always looking for ways to improve on the building, and most importantly, the overall guest experience. I notice from your review that you are from Philadelphia. We also have a Sonesta hotel in Center City on Market Street, if you are seeking a great staycation experience. However, we'd love to see you back here in Baltimore any time!
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We got a groupon for this hotel because of it's location and weren't disappointed. It came with free valet parking which was tip top. The hotel services book implied that the gym didn't open until 8:00 AM, but my husband it was open early and he wasn't the only one there at 6:00 on a Sunday morning. We asked for a quiet room and it was, with a king bed and plenty of space in the room. The shower was great and the toiletries were nice. Love the Keurig coffee machine with the personal sized coffee and tea just when you wanted it, instead of having to make a whole pot of coffee that gets cold an hour later. We would definitely stay here again without the groupon. You can walk to all the inner harbor sites and the convention center.

Room Tip: we staying the courtyard room which was cheaper and quieter.
Hello Norah V,
The Groupon offer has been extremely popular, so we are glad you took advantage of it. Your are correct, the complimentary parking is a huge value, so good for you for being such an astute shopper! Overall, we are ecstatic that you had such a pleasant visit to our hotel and enjoyed all the fun and activities around the Inner Harbor. It is also good to know that you plan to return in the future. We look forward to seeing you then.

Been to Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore? Share your experiences!