“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Rahway, New Jersey, USA
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This review is a little late but I still wanted to send it (and i had no choice but to pick a date from the drop down but it's incorrect. I stayed at the Inn at Colonnade/Double Tree on 12/7/11 (in town for Vince Gill/Amy Grant Christmas concert). I don’t have any staff members’ names but everything was wonderful. From check-in to check-out. Everyone was very friendly. Even if it was just a little gesture of the valet walking over to the elevators to push the button for us. The lobby was decorated beautifully for Christmas. Our room was spacious and clean. The beds and pillows were fantastic. We had dinner at the restaurant and it was delicious. If I’m ever in this area again, I will surely stay here. Keep up the good work. Thanks !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Manhattan Beach, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Terrible room. It was tiny and stinky, with terrible lighting. Parking garage smelled like somebody had died in it. Coffee and snack shop in the lobby was closed in the afternoon, evening and morning. Front desk staff was slow and indifferent. Ceiling panelling in bathroom sagged in the middle. I checked out and moved to another, habitable hotel with an inferior location to Johns Hopkins.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Baltimore, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great hotel. Close to everything. Easy to obtain taxis and within easy walking distance to most places we were going (ie Art Museum, a particular restaurant, and a particular church). Very friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

A reasonably priced and well located alternative place to stay in Baltimore even if the rooms are a bit tired. The front desk welcome was quite good. The exit experience was quick. The bathroom could use some updating.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very convenient hotel close to Johns Hopkins campus. This time when we stayed there, I was taken aback by the run down state of the hotel. It started with the flag outside the hotel which was in shreds, nice lobby but the first room we got was an old dark room with one small window. We asked to change the room, and since there was wedding that day no other rooms were available. The front desk staff was nice enough to upgrade us to a junior suite. Again an older room, the first thing we noticed was that the sofa in the living area had a deep gnash. In the bedroom, the airconditioning fan was so loud that we had to put the AC off. We asked the front desk at least three times to fix the fan but nothing happened. Staff was nice, hotel lobby and location are good. This hotel can be so much nicer if they repaired and re-did all the older rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently renovated.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I wanted to like the Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade better. The location was great for a weekend in Baltimore with friends. Unfortunately, the experience there was underwhelming. Nothing majorly wrong, but nothing really great, and several annoyances. I am a a Diamond member of the HHonors program, so I visit a lot of Hilton properties, including Doubletree properties, and I guess I just expected something a little better.

Maybe we all disliked the place because of our first impressions. When we arrived, we self-parked the car ($20 a night). The valet parking had a long line and there was no place to pull in. The garage was not too hard to find, but it could use some better signage inside- there were plenty of spots close to the elevators, but it was not at all clear how to get there given the twists and turns and one way aisles.

The next issue was the lobby. Apparently there were two private functions that evening, so almost all of the lobby was curtained off, and they had crammed a grand piano and some furniture into the tiny space left in front of the desk. The good news was that the wait was not too long. The downside was it was just a "credit card, id and here are your keys goodbye" experience. I am spoiled and used to a little explanation of the hotel amenities, or at least whatever perks I get for being a Diamond member. I took my keys and headed to the room, and then discovered the front desk did not write the wrong number for one of our rooms on the key jacket, so we did not know where the room was.

The rooms were as advertised- I booked and paid for two small "suites", but the location was terrible- right on the end of the hallway next to one wedding reception and overlooking an outdoor terrace for another wedding event. Lots of windows, which I discovered were all unlocked (and one had broken locks) with easy ground level access to climb in (and yes, I will admit I am a little paranoid because I had something stolen out of a window in the same neighborhood when I lived there before).

I usually try to hit the gym when I workout, but they appear to have emptied the gym and used the space for the wedding party going on. There were paper signs on the wall about a relocated temporary gym space, but it did not look great.

The rooms themselves were ok- relatively new carpet. smelled clean enough, but the bathrooms had no counter or storage space- just a small pedestal sink with not counter space. The only lights were two small sconces over the sink, so the bathroom was very dim. There was a whirlpool tub, but it did not feel very clean. The shower curtain did not close all the way. so water got out during a shower no matter how careful you are.

It was noisy from the parties, but the bed was comfortable.

In the morning, I was looking forward to one of the perks I usually get for my HHonors status- a free continental breakfast. By then, the curtains had disappeared and the full size very nice lobby was back, along with a restaurant. The restaurant was also a mixed bag. It was clean, and felt cozy, but the service was extremely slow. In our key packets I found coupons that said they were good for 2 continental breakfasts for each of the two rooms. It was nice they included 4, but the continental breakfast was skimpy- toast, cereal, oatmeal. I know that technically it met the definition of a continental breakfast, but my experience at other Hilton properties, including the Doubletree properties, is that I can apply the value of the continental breakfast voucher to the cost of a full breakfast (and many properties simply provide the full breakfast, especially on weekends). The continental breakfast was priced at $10.99, whereas a hot breakfast such as an omelet or other eggs and meat was only $12-$15, so it was not a huge difference. Alas, I was told those certificate were only good for continental or nothing. We ended up ordering hot breakfasts, and finally were able to negotiate a credit for the value of two of the continental certificates, but neither the restaurant staff not the front desk would budge beyond that.

The final annoyance was a checkout. I had prepaid for the reservation (via the Hilton site, not via a third party), so I asked for a receipt when I was checking out. I was told they are unable to provide any receipts at checkout for prepaid reservations, even when made on the Hilton site.

Overall, good location, but so-so service. There are much better deals in the area.

Pittsford, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here while dropping of daughter at Loyola. Location was perfect, only a couple of miles down road (if that). This is the second time my family stayed in this location. Both times upon check in there was a wedding taking place right in the lobby. With the wedding going on, check in and the lobby seemed quite hectic and loud.

The room was quite nice and large, we were able to upgrade to one of the suites and were very impresssed with the size and layout. We had a nice balcony overlooking John Hopkins and a nice dining area if we cared to eat in.

I understand the hotel is going through a make over and it was very apparent, whereas the room looked very nice, there were a number of items that just seemed out dated and out of place. Such as a dial for a heating lamp in bath room that did not turn on anything and was broken. The the pull out sofa was terrible as was the cot we ordered. Both of our kids ended up sleeping on floor with the mattresses.

I hope that these items are on the list to be "renovated" as some of the other items in the hotel.

The next morning when I went down for breakfast, I was overwhelmed as to how beautiful the lobby, hotel bar and resturant were. It was quite impresssive. I really wish they did not have wedding going on when I arrived as I would have been really impressed overall.

In general, it is a good hotel, I would recommend it and/or stay here again. Staff was good, location was perfect, generally positive stay. I just hope that they continue the updates. and if they do I feel this could end up being a really classy place.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity to upgrade to a suite, it is well worth it. Especially if you are trave...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade? Share your experiences!