“Lots to like, but a few flaws” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Spa Package
Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Baltimore
Houston, Texas
“Lots to like, but a few flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My true rating is probably 3-1/2, but I'll bump up to 4 for some intangibles (more pluses than minuses). Stayed at the hotel, based on location for a business meeting, the hotel is very convenient to campus. If you are cabbing it from BWI, beware that it's a mid-$40-ish cab ride.
I hustled through the airport and got to the hotel earlier than plan, only to discover the bar and restaurant were closed (it was about 9:40pm). My only nearby option was the vegetarian restaurant across the street.
The rooms are nice. As a Hilton Diamond, I received a suite, with a sitting room (flat screen TV, couch, fridge, mic), separated by a hallway, to a decent-size bedroom area (also with flat screen TV, and chair). The bathroom had a whirlpool tub, but I just used the shower. Counter top space was very good. Overall the room was nice and reasonably quiet. There were a couple waters in the room on the first night, were never replaced.
Wifi was free and the signal was good. I visited the restaurant once for the free "elite" continental breakfast. It was pretty bad (meager offerings, and empty restaurant), so I skipped the remaining mornings and just opted for coffee. On subsequent nights, when the bar was open, service was great. Olga is a great bartender on the weekend.
The staff here tries very hard, so good marks for effort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I will ensure your comments are shared with our F&B Director, I am glad you had a great experience with Olga, she does a great job. We appreciate your business, and hope to see you back soon.

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Huntersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I can always count on double tree to be charmingly outdated which is what i prefer--very bice hotel, outstanding location right across from John Hopkins, what made me very happy was that despite the valet parking, there was some great restaurants to walk to that was extremely close.
staff was very friendly, rooms were lovely.
I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the great comments! We love the brand too. We hope to see you back soon, don't forget to grab one of our famour cookies.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Make sure you take a room where the air does not blow directly over the bed. The rooms are dark unless you are given a suite. The floors, carpets, and walls need upgrading in terms of markings, tearing, and odors. It was depressing to be there. With a renovation, the hotel would be more than acceptable. It is the only up-market place to stay near Johns Hopkins, so perhaps they are not motivated to spend the funds for renovation.

Room Tip: Check location of air vents before you accept a room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I am sorry your experience was not as expected. We are in the midst of a lighting upgrade throughout the entire hotel, which will address any light issues. We are always touching some part of our hotel to ensure it is always a product we can be proud of and our guests enjoy. I will make sure your feedback is shared with our engineering department. Thank you, and feel free to contact me at 410-554-7566 with any other concerns or suggestions.

Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a classic elegant hotel. The lobby is huge and you will want to find time to nest in it's nooks and crannies with a cup of coffee or cocktail. The staff are exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable. All requests, big and small, were met promptly and the customer service exceeded my expectations. If you have business at JHU or are doing the college exploratory visit this is THE hotel to stay at. It is literally right across the street from JHU I would also recommend it over the chain hotels in the harbor area. This is the most elegant and upscale Double Tree I have stayed at and I look forward to another visit when I'm in the Baltimore area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to JHU and our hotel. I am a little biased, but I agree we have a beautiful lobby. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we hope to see you back very soon! Happy Holiday's from the Inn at the Colonnade, a Doubletree by Hilton hotel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed at the Colonnade for a business meeting at Hopkins for a few days. The location of the hotel was realistically the only redeeming feature. The decor of hotel was dull, dated and uninspiring. Not only did the plug in bathroom not work when I wanted a bath, but the bath didn't drain when the plug was out!
I've lived in the US for 10 years, and the restaurant served quite possibly the worst ribs I've ever had - and they were ordered on the recommendation from the bar maid! The wait staff was surly, unintelligible and not that useful. Be prepared to seat yourself for a limited breakfast selection - though the breakfast wait staff were really friendly and should be commended.
I think I've worked out where all the old cathode ray tube televisions have been placed...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your next stay the best it can be.
Warren, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Chose this hotel for its location, across the street from Johns Hopkins Homewood campus. Very nice rooms, conformable beds and very friendly staff. Kids loved the cookies at check in. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
So glad you enjoyed your stay at the Colonnade, and glad you enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookies. Hope to see you back soon for your next visit to JHU.

Hawthorne, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A wonderful atmosphere and a quiet and friendly enviroment for a "get-together" of friends and family. To those planning a "get-together" in the near future, we highly recommend Inn at the
Colonnade.
Hotel service was really satisfactory and the staff considerate and helpful. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit a survey regarding our hotel, and we appreciate you choosing our hotel for your stay in Baltimore. I realize you have many choices when staying in Baltimore and hope to see you back soon at the Colonnade.

Been to Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade? Share your experiences!