“Frank Zappa saw me naked” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor

Save Saved
You added Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor to your Saves list
Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 East Lombard Street, Baltimore, MD 21202 (Inner Harbor)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT GET 15% OFF
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Baltimore
Jersey Shore
“Frank Zappa saw me naked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was the oddest place we ever stayed.

On the up side the employees were nice and helpful and the location is excellent. And the mattress was very comfortable. And now the rest...

So we started out in a room that smelled terrible, possibly a heavy smoker had stayed in the room before us. We went in and out a couple times while getting settled and each time it just bowled us over (by the last time I was almost nauseous) so we asked to move to a different room. They moved us down a floor and it smelled better. But we couldn't understand how the cleaning crew didn't notice the smell - or maybe they ignored it and hoped we wouldn't notice.

Before we moved we noticed that the toilet was tilted to the right (see photo) and there was a photo of the Counting Crowes lead singer over the toilet, which seemed odd and I doubt most people would know who he is.

So down in our new room, the ceilings were a foot lower and my boyfriend had to duck through the doorways (see photo) and as we walked through the hall from the elevator. I had read about this in a review but didn't realize JUST how low they might be.

And then... there was Frank Zappa over the (also tilted) toilet (see photo). His creepy photo made me uncomfortable when I got undressed to take my shower. Speaking of the shower, while the sink and counter had been upgraded the shower dated to who knows when. Nobody has installed those small square white tiles in a long time. Which is evident in the fact that they have had to repair the tiles and didn't get ones that matched exactly. And it's even more obvious when you see the mildew in between the tiles (yes, see the photo).

We had a two room king suite. Overall there was a good amount of space but it was a choppy layout. The cheap white pleather couch wasn't very comfortable and the cushions would not stay put. There is a giant floor standing mirror, a design on the wallpaper, and two photos for 'decor'. I get that it's contemporary, but it just looks unfinished.

We went out for about six or seven hours the next day and came back to find our room still not made up at nearly 4pm. When they did come we declined and just took clean towels. I didn't want to have to spend a half an hour sitting in the lobby when we wanted to relax.

Which brings me to the daily Destination Fee. Let's start with the "free" phone calls - seriously??? How many travelers these days don't have a cell phone? Totally bogus excuse for an extra charge. Then there is the water. I believe it is two free bottles upon check in (which we were sure to take with us since we had paid for them!) so we were wondering if we would get two more the second night (after all they do charge the fee for each night) but since our room wasn't made up we didn't find out. And the breakfast. Oh, and the internet - any decent hotel provides included wifi these days. Given all the comments I've seen here about the DF, they would be much better served to just charge $10 more per night and quit with the lame excuses for why they charge it.

If you do stay here, definitely self-park at one of the parking lots across the street and save $20 per night since that is where your car will end up anyway. I do have to say that some hotels charge more for valet parking but then again, you are parking IN the hotel proper not in a public garage.

We are not nitpicky travelers - we have stayed at all kinds of places. This place is just weird. We just looked at each other over and over and shook our heads. We almost left after the first night but the comfy mattress and good location kept me there for the second night. We didn't understand why there were so many great reviews. I'm not saying definitely don't stay here - I'm saying be sure you are ok with the trade-offs you will make if you do. And if you are over six feet tall, you might want to stay somewhere else, which we will do if we are ever back in Baltimore.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason C, General Manager at Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, responded to this review, yesterday
travelgirl88,

Thank you for your review of Brookshire Suites on TripAdvisor.

Brookshire Suites was designed to create an urban feel, an extension and environment that surrounds the hotel. Frank Zappa, Mama Cass and Adam Duritz are all Baltimore born rock stars. We feature these three artists throughout the hotel. In addition, we commissioned world renown Street Artist, Michael Own, to create a visual 'graffiti' atmosphere in the lobby. It is was our desire to create an experience that is unlike any other hotel so that one gets a true sense of Baltimore. The Beer and Wine we sell in RedBAR is all from Baltimore and Maryland. We've created a contemporary minimalist lifestyle hotel unlike any chain hotel.

I am sorry that a previous guest must have smoked in the suite you occupied. We do have a no smoking policy and we do our best to 'recover' rooms where a guest smoked. We shampoo carpets, remove any item that potentially absorbed smoke and replace them. We run a machine for about an hour to help remove the odor. It sounds as if we should have allowed the ozone machine to run longer. I am sorry you had to switch rooms due to this.

Our AC units have energy saving devices so that the AC only operates while the room is occupied by a person. The AC's work on motion and other sensors and do not cool when a room is not occupied.

Instead of charging guest individually for items, we've bundled them into a package we call our Destination Fee. The fee includes unlimited local and long distance domestic telephone calls, breakfast, exercise room usage and a discounted rate to MV Fitness and bottles of water. Most hotels charge $4-6 per bottle of water, we include this in the fee. Most hotels charge for Breakfast, while we include this in our fee. (Where else can a family of four eat for $9.95) We hope guests view this as a cost savings.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff. We appreciate your feedback.

I hope to see you on a future visit to Baltimore.

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
asha730
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed here with our ten month old daughter. We booked a queen suite with separate sitting area. We hoped to be able to have a little separation between our room and our daughters travel crib. Upon arriving, we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff members at the valet as well as at the front desk.

It was a very hot day when we checked in, and we arrived at our room, the room was extremely hot and stuffy. We didnt mind because there was a lot of space and we figured we would just turn the ac down and the room would cool off shortly. We did just that and decided to get something to eat while the room cooled down.

I have to say that the location is really fantastic. The hotel is in walking distance of everything that Inner Harbor and downtown has to offer. We walked down to the water and ate dinner at M&S, which was quite good. When we arrived back at the room 3-4 hours later, we disappointed that the room had not cooled off very much. We had turned the thermostat down as far as it would go (65) and we could feel a cool light burst of air coming from the vents, but it was not enough to cool the room. We called down to the front desk and asked if they could send someone to take a look at the AC thinking that we were not operating it correctly.

A few minutes later, someone arrived, and she informed us that the thermostat was working properly but the suites, which were on the upper floor (7th floor in this case) were always very warm. Upon hearing this, we decided to see if there was another room available that was cooler. By this point it was 10PM at night, We had driven for 8 hours and had a sleepy little one who needed to be in bed. We were told the only room available was much smaller. We decided to take it but it was inconvenient to have to move everything that late at night and a disappointment not to have the space we needed for separate rooms.

The breakfast is laughable. They call it a complimentary breakfast when you check in, they charge 10.00 a day for the "Free breakfast" and the "Complimentary bottles of water." Breakfast is served from 7-10 on weekends and 6:30-9:30 M-F. If you plan to sleep in then you will most likely miss the breakfast. The first day we went to breakfast, they were out of waffle batter, the biscuits were definitely stale on top, and the danish had clearly been put out for several days in a row. They were all stuck together and when we tried to extract one it came apart into several pieces. There were no eggs. They had already run out of yogurt... you get the point.

Anyway, for the lack of amenities and the obvious poor ventilation, we would not stay there again. We chose to valet our car, which was 36.00 a night. It turned out they use the garage across the street which was 16.00 a day for parking if we had driven across the street. We left our power cord by accident, and when we asked them to mail it to us (at our expense) on a Monday, it turned out that they did not actually mail it until Friday. Really frustrating. Overall the value is just not there to justify the price. The front desk staff did comp us two aquarium tickets to make up for the difference in the price of the room. We later found out that this was not the total difference in cost but just a fraction of it and it did not make up for the inconvenience.

We have already decided to stay at the Renaissance for our next trip to inner harbor in a few months. The difference in cost is small.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
asha730,

Thank you for choosing Brookshire Suites! We do appreciate your business.

I am sorry for the inconvenience with regards to the air conditioner. Our hotel has a state of the art system that allows the AC to run only while guests are physically IN the suite. If a guest turns the AC down and then leaves the suite, the AC will adjust only when the guest re-enters the room. In an effort to ensure this is the problem, can you please contact me so I can confirm your suite number so our maintenance staff can ensure everything is operating as it should?

I will be certain to follow up with our housekeeping manager to make certain we are mailing lost and found items on a more timely basis.

We offer a great deal on our breakfast buffet. Eggs, Waffles, pastries, yogurts, hot and cold cereals, a daily breakfast meat, fresh fruit, etc. If there was something more specific you were looking for, I'd be happy to hear your suggestion. The Breakfast is included in the $9.95 Destination Fee. We view this fee as a savings. We've bundled these fees together as a package instead of charging individually for them. At most other hotels, a bottle of water is $4. At most other comparable hotels, you have to pay for each persons breakfast (where can a family of four eat for $9.95/day?). We include local and domestic long distance telephone in the fee as well instead of charging $1.25 per each local call. It's our intention to keep expenses as low as possible to provide you with the best services possible.

I hope you'll reconsider Brookshire Suites. We are a very competitively priced hotel in this market and you get twice the space of a standard hotel (if you reserve a one bedroom suite). Our location is fantastic and we do have the best staff around!

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and I spent the weekend and where pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The location in the innter harbour is fantastic ,we walked everywhere. The rooms where clean and quiet,with very comfortable beds. The suite approach is great could sit in the living room area and relax and watch some football at the end of the afternoon. The staff was friendly and very we loved the cold water when you came in from the heat. Would stay there again in a minute.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Craig N,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Brookshire Suites Baltimore.

We appreciate your feedback very much. Thank you for your comments regarding the staff. We all work very hard to provide our guests with exceptional experiences and appreciate your feedback.

I hope to see you again the next time you visit Baltimore.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This was one of our best hotel experiences ever. The staff had everything to do with it. From the time we entered the hotel we were greeted with smiling, helpful professionals. The first time we stepped out and came back into the lobby on a really hot, hot day we were greeted by the valet staff who immediately asked if we'd like some cold bottle water. Later they got us a cab and then when came back after midnight we were again greeted warmly by the team in the lobby and at the front desk who complimented our evening attire. They really made us feel very welcome. The suite was great, extremely spacious and clean, the staff was awesome even when we were leaving the gentlemen at the valet were very professional and polite, addressed us by our last name, I could go on an on but really, it was an Excellent Experience & we will definitely make this our regular hotel when visiting Baltimore.

Room Tip: We chose a suite that is what I would strongly recommend.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Jason C, General Manager at Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 4 days ago
TinTin D,

Thank you so much for choosing Brookshire Suites. We do appreciate your business.

I am very happy to see that you were pleased with the hotel, most notably, the staff. We have an incredible group of individuals who sincerely care about our guests experiences. Thank you for taking time to recognize them. They are actively engaged in reading TripAdvisor reviews.

Thanks again for choosing Brookshire Suites. I Hope to see you again on a return visit to Baltimore.

Waupaca, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed here over Labor Day weekend with my family. We had 2 rooms (suites) which were clean, comfortable and quiet. The location is perfect for visiting the Inner Harbor. The neighborhood was clean and seemed safe. Variety for the complimentary breakfast was great, with an amazing top-floor view. The staff is very up-beat and friendly, and the desk clerk was more than accommodating when we asked her to find 2 rooms on the same floor. Great little wine bar to relax in for the evening, too. Prices are good, especially given the location near the Harbor. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I can't believe there would be a "bad" room here!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hi Janet R,

Thank you for the great review of Brookshire Suites on TripAdvisor.

We greatly appreciate your business and are glad we were able to accommodate your requests. We know why we're in business....because of our guests!

Thank you again for the review. I hope to see you on a future visit to Baltimore.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We stayed at this hotel while in Baltimore for a Orioles game. We were greeted by a friendly valet attendant upon arrival and the friendliness didn't stop from front desk to housekeeping, our stay there was very pleasant & the staff are very attentive to guests needs. We were offered cold bottles of water after coming back to the hotel on a hot day & our room was very nice and modern and spacious. We would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Baltimore (which is a beautiful, fun city by the way)!! Go Orioles Go!

• Stayed September 2014
Jason C, General Manager at Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 1 week ago
mlseb,

Greetings from Brookshire Suites!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I greatly appreciate your feedback.

We do have an incredible location. If you think of the Inner Harbor as a football field, you could say Brookshire Suites is on the 50 yard line. Harbor East is one end zone while the stadiums are the other end zone. We're right in the middle and practically walking distance to everything.

Thank you for recognizing the accomplishments of our Team. We work very hard to ensure that everyone has a fantastic stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is situated in an ideal location for a downtown / Inner Harbor visit. It's close to a number of attractions, within walking distance of many. The staff was amazing. This was the first hotel I've stayed where a staff member offered me a bottle of water upon returning from an outing. I've stayed in dozens - heck, hundreds - of hotels over the years, and have never been so well-regarded or treated so nicely by staff. Additionally, the room was very well appointed. I had a "junior" suite, but it was huge. The bed was comfortable, the air conditioning cool, the water in the shower was hot and the water pressure was more than adequate. I cannot think of one bad thing to say about my stay at this hotel or about the staff.

Room Tip: I selected the business package and received a free night. I don't know if that is a regular pa...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Redone2013,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Brookshire Suites.

I am glad you liked the renovations and even more delighted about your comments regarding our teams performance. We understand that every hotel has showers, mattresses, carpeting, etc...but not every hotel has OUR TEAM! It is the people that work in a building that give the building meaning and life. Thank you for recognizing. We do appreciate it.

I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Baltimore!

Jason

Been to Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor? Share your experiences!