“One of Baltimore's best-- chic urban-farm atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Woodberry Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,672 Restaurants in Baltimore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union Avenue
Transit: We are conveniently located at the Woodberry light rail stop. Just exit the light rail and walk up Clipper Park Road and find us on the right hand side.
Baltimore, Maryland
“One of Baltimore's best-- chic urban-farm atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

As we suggested to our waiter-- this restaurant has the exact vibe of Woody Guthrie songs sung by Jay Farrar and Jim James (My Morning Jacket) or the later Bob Dylan albumns-- folk with a modern, alternative rock sensibility. This restaurant is one of the best for carrying its theme with style and panache throughout the menu and space. The food is absolutely top-notch, has creative pairings, and ultimately, is well worth the price. Upon the recommendation of our waiter, we had the beef tartare as an appetizer. It was the best I've ever had-- tender, tasty beef with a completely complimentary sauce, mixed with raw egg, and scooped up with crisp homemade potato chips. Our seafood entrees and shared macaroni and cheese were delicious as was our paw-paw dessert. Bold red wine (to go with the beef tartare), great handcrafted cocktails, and tasty coffee (yes, the restaurant does lovely patterns with the foam), made the meal memorable. Although it's often hard to obtain a reservation, we recently were able to get one for a Monday night on the same day.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo, New York
“Wonderful brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We ate here in October. We had wonderful food and drink. The staff is very well trained and very kind. All food is of good quality. I would like to try dinner. It was a bit pricey. Tables are close together if you are picky about seating. The ambiance is wonderful. I'd like to eat outside when the weather allows.

Visited October 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful food, service and great ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I went last night for my birthday dinner as we hadn't been before and heard so many good reviews. I agree with everything that was said about how wonderful Woodberry Kitchen is; the food and service and a great lively and eclectic vibe.

We had a reservation and had noted that weather permitting we would like to sit outside. Though a little cool, they accomodated us outside and offered me a blanket to help keep the chill off. Added to the charm of sitting outside are several wood fired chimeneas in the dining area as well as a huge circular outdoor fireplace with seating around. We enjoyed every minute of sitting outside, probably one of the few remaining evenings before winter sets in.

Our waitress was extremely helpful and friendly especially answering all our menu questions. We started off with one of their signature cocktails, and like another reviewer mentioned they are like nothing you have had anywhere else, including the glassware it is served in. I had a new one Copper Knuckles and my husband had the Whiskey Smash. We also ordered their radish snack plate to nibble on with these whilst we waited to order our meal. Unfortunately, these never arrived, and when our starters came and these still had not shown up, our waitress very kindly offered to comp these and still brought them to the table as she wanted us to try them anyway. I thought she was very professional in handling this and this incident would in no way deter us from going again or recommending it.

Starters of broccoli soup and oysters where delicious and fresh: no extra flavours to mask the natural tastes just pure fresh vegetables and raw oysters. The portion size was just right too. We followed with the braised beef and slow roasted pork shoulder again unfussy comfort food that was tasty and hearty. Good portions not too big and not too small to leave room for their wonderful dessert menu. Again, my husband chose a glass of wine which was not as full bodied as he liked, and our very kind waitress offered to exchange it immediately to something else he would prefer at no extra charge. All these small attention to details really show that the management care about returning customers and even on such a busy saturday night where they were also catering 2 weddings at the location, they were able to fully attend to our table of 2!

Dessert: lovely choices and we ended up sharing the steamed brownie, just the right size morsel to share at the end of the meal. They even brought it out on a plate with a candle and Happy Birthday + my name writtten in frosting on the plate. Nice touch!

Everything about the place reminded me very much of having a more european vibe and approach (especially to food portions and display) which we appreciated very much. The smell of coffee at other tables tempted us to order our own capuccinos to top off a wonderful evening.

I would highly recommend Woodberry Kitchen and judging from the inside crowd, I would also love to come back for a drink at their bar and enjoy some of their small plates.

The only comment I have is that the food was a little cold, but am not sure if this was because we were sitting outside and our chatting got in the way of eating immediately, and in no way would deter me from going again. I guess this is my excuse to go again and sit inside to check my theory out ;)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Really good vibe - great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My fiance' & I went to WK because we'd heard so many good things about the food & atmosphere. It is located in one of the gutted/revamped buildings in the mill area - so it is pretty cool to look around. The food was excellent with a very creative, eclectic menu choices.

Visited April 2012
Munich, Germany
“Really enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Ive been here a number of times and have always enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. I've gone with a group of girls for dinner and we ordered all the appetizers and passed them around the table to have a taste of everything, it's hard to choose sometimes because everything sounds and looks great! Since its a seasonal restaurant you can't always count on something being in the menu the next time exactly as you remember it but they always have a great substitute. Make reservations or your going to wait forever, if your going solo the bar is lively and everyone is always chatting. I highly recommened.

• Visited April 2012