“Comfortable and quiet” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Comfortable and quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I bought this night's stay as a gift to my spouse. We were looking forward to a nice getaway and this place was great. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The service was very good - coffee in the morning as ordered, breakfast just as we had asked. The grounds were beautiful as was the house itself. We enjoyed taking advantage of one of the many sitting areas in the house as well. The area around the Mansion was also great for driving and feeling like we were really away, but the proximity to Baltimore allowed for good entertainment. We were glad that there was not a wedding happening that weekend as I'm sure it would have made for a less quiet time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The customer service was excellent from booking to completion. Upon our arrival, there was a wedding party setting up for the evening. It would have been easy to overlook guests that were not a part of the main event, but that was not the case. I felt welcome and valued immediately and throughout our stay. We enjoyed the cozy Ambassador room, warm fireplace, efficient staff and excellent breakfast. It was well worth the stay during the Historical Inauguration of 2013. Easy to locate and a beautiful drive to and from Washington D.C.

Room Tip: The Ambassador room is quiet, yet a little drafty but a space heater is provided.
Odenton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Gramercy Mansion isn't just a bed and breakfast or an inn... it's an experience. Nestled in the woods, we were 45 minutes from home but a WORLD AWAY. The staff welcome you like an old friend, no worries, no stresses - all is taken care of. The room we had, the Tudor, was exactly what we expected and more. They had guestbooks dating back to the opening and we enjoyed reading the stories and tales of other Tudor room guests - you feel a part of history.

The mansion was fun to explore - beautiful artwork everywhere - unique ecclectic pieces and most were available for sale, including some pieces of furniture. The place was so quiet and relaxing.

Breakfast - let me tell you was wonderful! We wish we could have spent more time - but only had the one night getaway.

Room Tip: The TUDOR room is top notch - it's off to the end of the mansion - TWO small balconies and a por...
Hunt Valley, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was a day getaway for my honey and I. The innkeepers were very friendly and accommodating. We forgot to leave our breakfast request on the door by 9 pm and ask for a late checkout before they left for the evening. So we decided to leave the breakfast request on the front desk at 10 pm and left a voicemail message requesting the late checkout. The next morning we were a little concern about our tardiness... Exactly 9 am there was a knock on the door and in came a very hot and delicious breakfast!!!! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY A WONDERFUL STAY!! We will certain visit again.

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for the Gramercy for my husband and I. We were both very excited--we both work hard all week and we were looking forward to a weekend to unwind in an elegant setting. Moreover, we have a 23 year old daughter who is getting married and we wanted to scout out the Gramercy to see if it could be a venue option for the wedding. Well, after doing my homework and looking for our room of choice on-line, I called to make reservations. The phone, unfortunately, was answered by a surly man named Bill who was condescending and rude.I couldn't see him but I knew he had his nose in the air. He informed me that the only rooms left were those available during the week and suggested I call Groupon and get my money back. No attempts or suggestions were made to accomodate the Groupon later in the spring nor did Bill drop his rude, butler attitude. So glad I got my money back, Bill! You won't be seeing me, my husband, or our wonderful daughter anytime soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer S, Public Relations Manager at Gramercy Mansion, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We sincerely apologize that you were dissatisfied with our innkeeper’s customer service and were unable to use your Groupon for a weekend stay with us. Our Groupon deal launched this past November and guests began calling immediately to book getaways. As an 11-room B&B, each room is unique and priced to reflect the amenities in that particular room. The two rooms with the most amenities for which a Groupon can be applied (your preferred rooms) were booked for weekends right away and were only available for midweek reservations at the time of your call. Bill provided several options including the option to stay later in the spring at which time the Groupon would be honored at face value. When none of his suggestions were satisfactory, he recommended you contact Groupon for a refund.

We are very sorry that you were unhappy with your experience and will continue to strive to provide professional and courteous customer service to all of our guests.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I bought a Groupon for the Gramercy on a whim. The Hubs and I were taking vacation the first week of January and wanted to stay "local". Although Maryland isn't exactly "local" to NYC but it's close enough by car.

Let me just say that we have stayed at B & B's before and I'm not crazy about them. The idea of sleeping in someone else's house, having them make breakfast in the morning.. a little creepy. Call me crazy. Either way, I decided to try it, again.

The trip from NYC to Baltimore was easy peasy. It took us about 4 hours door to door. We stopped in Dirty Jerze to stretch and got right back on the road. Once arriving in Maryland, getting to the mansion was pretty straight forward. We passed a Walmart (Score! Everyone loves Walmart!) and a little shopping center with a couple of restaurants and pricey boutiques.

Moving along to the MANSION! We pull up this long windy road, double park and walk in. We were semi-greeted by Bill a former Hamptons butler with a sharp tongue and biting attitude who was complaining to another employee about a rude guest that was trying to get a discount because he's a regular. He went on and on about this Mr. So and So for a good 4 minutes. Although the Hubs and I put our 2 cents in regarding the frugal regular, looking back, it was unprofessional that Bill went on and on and on about a guest in front of other guests.

We get to the Ambassador's Room. Nice! Spacious! But smelled like..burnt moth balls and air freshener. The space heater was on which probably contributed to the weird smell. Bill was nice enough to tell us that it is NOT his job to restock the fireplace wood in the room if we run out so "don't go calling and bothering me. The wood is in the hall".

We completed our breakfast order for the next morning and left it on the door. After getting settled we went to the shopping center for dinner and cocktails. Later on we went to a wonderful open mic at a local club. Travelling is super easy when you have a car.

Day 2: I was pleasantly surprised. They offered an extensive selection of food and beverages. I had the house omelette which consisted of farm veggies and cheese with a side of bacon. Hubs got banana pancakes and eggs. We were greeted and served by a very nice woman.. I didn't get her name but the service was good. We were served on your great great great grandmothers china. I think this is why B & B's creep me out. Old flatware, old beds, carpet, creepy. I know that it's almost the same thing as a hotel but this creeps me out for some reason.

After breakfast we walked around the house. The house was still covered in Christmas decorations (a dauting task for anyone to put up or take down). An old piano sits in the corner. Couches, tables, plants and Asian statues in one of the sitting rooms. In one of the back rooms they display oil based paintings for sale on the wall along with random chotskis like china and figurines. Of course, the hasty Hubs was tempted to purchase one of the President Obama paintings.

Day 3.. We were greeted by the charming Bill who was instisting that I did not put the time we were going to have breakfast on our order sheet (even though I was positive I did) and that we would have to eat breakfast on the floor. We went back and forth for a second and to make a joke of it I said, "check the paper and if I put the time down, you owe me a dollar". He agreed. We sit and begin to eat and he says.. "oh yea, I owe ya a dollar. I'll take it off your bill the next time you come". Thanks, but no thanks. After breakfast more sight seeing by the bay,an educational trip to the African American museum and dinner at McCormick & Scmick's.

All in all Maryland was lovely but I would not stay at the Gramercy again. It was an experience but I'm pretty sure I've gotten the bed & breakfast thing out of my system...

Greenbelt, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary and looked very forward to a night on our own, without the children. The innkeepers were friendly and welcoming. While the outside appearance isnt all that impressive (perhaps bc its winter), the inside decor is quite so. It was great fun exploring an old mansion although I will say it is just over stuffed with knick knacks EVERYWHERE. Not my thing but others may like it. We stayed in the Blue Garden Suite which was very pretty and spacious. Breakfast was delicious and the servers very pleasant. Only downsides were more stink bugs in the room than I would have liked. Having small children at home we were looking forward to Quiet but the radiator hissed all night and organ music began downstairs at SEVEN am :( which unfortunately we could hear. So much for sleeping in. Overall a unique experience but likely wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gramercy Mansion? Share your experiences!