“No exaggeration - worst experience ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #58 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
Boston, MA
“No exaggeration - worst experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

First off, I'm not a picky traveler and I realize that when you buy with a Kayak or Priceline that you're going to get what you pay for. HOWEVER...the pictures on travel websites do NOT accurately portray this horrible, run down, dangerously located property. We were supposed to stay at the Red Carpet Inn, paying for a non-smoking pet friendly room, only to find out they don't allow pets and the rooms aren't non-smoking. My hubby checked the room out while I waited in the parking lot with the doors locked (with people screaming and fighting with each other) and said we couldn't stay there. The door didn't close all the way and it stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke.

So, the guy at the front desk, who was very snarly, didn't speak English, didn't understand anything I was asking, shuffled us off to the Econo Lodge property behind the Red Carpet Inn. Apparently, it's the same company. They're non-smoking and pet friendly. We asked to have a new receipt to state the change and he wouldn't do it and said to come back. We checked into the Econo Lodge with no paperwork and the guy just handing us a key. I asked for a receipt and he said I'd have to get it from the Red Carpet. We'd deal in the morning.

The room there was okay. Didn't smell and I could at least sleep there without keeping one eye open. It was pet friendly, so our two cats were good. Until.....one of them started playing with something...a packet...looked like a bag of M&Ms. NO...it was a pack of rat/rodent repellent. The package was compromised and I didn't know if my fur baby had done it or if a resident rat had done it. So, off we go to the Pet ER thirty minutes away. Two hundred dollars later, we had to have our baby's stomach pumped to make sure he got no rat poison. He's fine -- thank GOD! -- and the next morning when we checked out, we tried to complain to the manager. Not one to be found. We got a hand written receipt from the Red Carpet Inn saying we'd stayed there, but that was it. When I tried to explain what had happened and I was forming a complaint, the guy acted like he didn't understand me at all. Pretending not to speak English.

This was such a frustrating experience! I'm still waiting to hear from Red Carpet/Econo Lodge about reimbursement for my pet's vet bill since their "pet friendly" hotel had RAT POISON in the room.

DO NOT stay here. Not alone. Not as a family. Not as a couple. Not as a business person. Never. Don't do it. Pay more money and stay somewhere else...or just keep driving. This was a horrible experience and someone WILL be reimbursing us for what happened.

Horrible customer service, questionable clientele, nasty section of town. Avoid at all costs. I'm not exaggerating.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I fall pray to this one for the low price n hasty booking. This is the worst place to stay. unsafe neighborhood, unclean room n rest rooms. All that is still manageable. But this place is a nightmare, u have completely naked, drunk girls running amuck in the corridore, people shouting and banking their doors, pimps, drug peddlers trying to make a business. thank god i was not shot or robbed, but I could have been so sure. I could sleep with the noise and the un-safe feeling. The beds were dirty (may be bed-bugs), had stains, hairs and holes from cigarette... It was a nightmare n will never again be here or recommend anyone to be there.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Located just outside of the Park Heights neighborhood, this Econo Lodge is not the ideal vacation spot. Driving down from Boston, we decided to crash here on our way back from DC (trying to cut time off the drive). There is considerable poverty in this area, but the people around town were not a problem. I'm more likely to have my car broken into at home than here. We found the staff to be helpful and kind after an initial mixup with our online booking.

The room was HUGE, with a large king-size bed, an entire couch and a lot of floor space. A mini-fridge, microwave, and TV are also available. I could easily fit my entire life in this room. My boyfriend found the bed uncomfortable, but I thought it was great (I was also dead exhausted). Even in the non-smoking room, however, the scent of old cigarettes did linger throughout the hotel. If you are especially sensitive to this, you may want to book elsewhere. Embarking early on a 8 hour drive, I appreciated the complimentary breakfast (coffee, juice, and carbohydrates) which was simple but gratifying.

All in all, I won't seek out this area again, but considering the service and the size/cleanliness of the room, I would say this was a pretty good value.

Room Tip: Non-smoking king is the way to go.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

This place smells... literally.
The cigarette smoke can be smelt from the moment you walk in at the counter, breakfast room, hallways and even a stale smell in the (non-smoking room). The building is old, half hour drive from central Baltimore in a not so great area of town.
Breakfast was OK, but happy to leave. Interestingly, one of the more expensive places I stayed in yet not as good as some of the cheaper motels. The staff were friendly though.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

The area is not nice, that is true. BUT, the hotel felt safe, since all the rooms had doors inside of the building. The staff was awesome! We forgot an iPod on the bed and they sent it to Cleveland to us! Very friendly and helpful service all in all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

nasty nasty nasty nasty naassssssstyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! shady shady people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! terrible area worst part of baltimore possible.

• Liked — some people were nice inside the hotel. that's about it.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!