“Out of half of your entres? Are you kidding me?” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Abacrombie Fine Food & Accommodations
58 W Biddle St, Baltimore, MD 21201-5534 (Mount Vernon)
410-837-3630
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Alexandria, Virginia
“Out of half of your entres? Are you kidding me?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I would give it a higher rating but they messed up royally on service. We had a reservation for 8:30pm, sat down, ordered wine. Only AFTER THE WINE HAD BEEN ORDERED AND SERVED did the waiter bother to tell us most of the items on the Restaurant week menu we had been studying were out of stock.

Basically all the good items were gone..bacon-wrapped quail, skirt steak. The only thing left was porkchop and beef rib. One of the best desert items was gone as well.

I just felt it was incredibly tacky, rude and whatnot to allow us to order wine without bothering to tell us the stuff we came here for was GONE.

On the plus side the interior was very beautiful, but the entire experience was tainted by a major fauxe pas. A menu is like the restaurants' contract with the diner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore
“Good food, great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have been hearing good things about the new chef here for a few years, and when she showed up on our favorite nationally televised cooking competition show we made a point of heading here to try out her menu.

The restaurant is in a small space under the B&B, but has a very pleasant atmosphere. Our servers were very polite and knowledgeable. The one server informed me that he was the one who ordered the wine, and while he offered to help me navigate the wine list I just told him to surprise me. Usually that translates to "bring the sucker the most expensive glass we've got." However, after questioning me about my preferences he brought me an excellent Tocai that was also quite reasonably priced. It was the last glass from that bottle, so for my second glass he chose a Verdicchio that was quite smooth, tasty and also reasonable.

The dinner started with a complimentary amuse bouche of chopped pork in a lettuce leaf. Succulent and tasty. We shared a cold corn bisque for an appetizer, which was refreshing and spicy. We had the blackened rockfish special for two as our entree. The tableside service was excellent, as we accepted the server's offer to fillet it for us. Parts of the fish were a little dry, and I felt the blackening charred the spices too much, but my wife enjoyed it a great deal and it was still a very good fish. The potatoes served with it were good, but the arugula that came with it was very gritty (quickly swapped out with endives - good service, but I found the endives too bitter to eat.)

A cheese plate was brought byafterwards, and the server was very knowledeable about all of the textures and properties of each of the selections (if not their exact names). We initially told him that we were not planning to order anything else but were quite interested in hearing about the selections, and he was so enthusiastic in his descriptions that I wound up ordering one anyway. We don't know the name, but it's the one that "tastes just like salami" and it was quite a nice end to the meal.

We are looking forward to returning.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pasadena, Maryland
“Great food, not much atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

A well kept secret in the basement of a hotel in the cultural district of Baltimore. Fine french cuisine that is hard to come-by. Simple dishes were made with expertise and complex flavoring. Make reservations, don't be afraid of the menu, call and ask if you can park in the lot for the hotel (during off hours, it should be fine). Oh, and try to not go on nights when the symphony is playing or there is a play at the Lyric - unless you have reservations of course.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“yummy but what's up with...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

yummy but what's up with the all day brunch menu during sunday dinner?

Baltimore, Maryland
“The food was very good, but the portions are very small: you could easily drop $30 or more on brunch and not be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

The food was very good, but the portions are very small: you could easily drop $30 or more on brunch and not be full.

More of a problem was the lack of air conditioning, but that would mean just going back in the non-summer.

Even more of a problem was the inattentive service. I always figured the reasons restaurants marked wine up so much was because you had an attendant to keep your glass fresh for you.