“ALWAYS A TREAT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tio Pepe Restaurant

Tio Pepe Restaurant
10 E Franklin St, Baltimore, MD 21202-2294 (Downtown)
(410) 539-4675
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
“ALWAYS A TREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Following an excellent Beethoven concert with the Baltimore Symphony we returned to one of our favorite restaurants. We ordered a half pitcher of red Sangria as our waiter brought the wonderful fresh bread, Having dined there countless times we knew of the size of the portions. So, we began by sharing a bowl of black bean soup, topped with rice and chopped onions. Then came one order of "fish in a bag" - a large filet of Chilean sea bass covered with fresh shrimp and cooked with a delicious sauce in parchment paper. When served with fresh green beans and sautéed squash and carrots there was still more than we could eat. By saving some food for take home we managed to have room for our favorite dessert - pine nut cake. Another dinner to remember.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great staff, Classy. Pretty normal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Tio Pepe's features an incredibly skilled, spanish-speaking wait staff. Super expensive though, and, in the face of a 30-dollar meal (with parents after my graduation - I could never afford such things), I found my college student's mind wishing that we could have had a more exotic meal somewhere for about half the price.
I lived in Thailand for 6 months, so I find European food pretty plain, but all the same it is good and solid.
That being said, this is definitely an extremely classy place - a lot of older folks come here after the symphony or theater or what have you. I love the low-key location as well.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Classic, but just that, classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The dishes were all amazingly tasty but I couldn't help but notice they all had butter or cheese on them. The food was really tasty and the prices were fair for the type of fare. Portions were very large and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. Just don't expect to find much on the menu that is healthy and delicious or innovative for that matter.

Visited June 2012
Baltimore
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a good meal although a tad pricy. It's a basement place and some of the seating and the nooks and crannies are a bit odd---but I supose it makes it unique

Visited January 2012
baltimore
“Never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been going to Tio Pepe's since 1994 and have never had a bad experience. The staff is always nearby without being in the way. I love when the chef comes out of the kitchen to talk to the diners about their meals. The dinning room is a little noisy but intimate and fun. Everyone there always appears to be celebrating some sort of special event. My favorite entre is the filet with bernaise sauce and my husband likes the beef tornados. If rockfish or the suckling pig are the specials they are not to be missed. Go hungry, overorder and take lots home. The food is so good and there is so much of it you'll be cheating yourself if you skip the appetizer or desert courses or do not order a vegatable with the meal. I like the articholes, hot or cold. The bread is fabulous, you have to try it but don't fill up on it too much and save some to sop up the buttery sauce that comes with the garlic shrimp. If you plan ahead, sometimes you can order a souffle. The grand marnier and the chocolate souffle are both great. With reference to the wine, years ago our server intoruduced us to the Marqui Rescal wines. The red is especially good, and very reasonable for a quality vintage wine. There are just not enough good things I can say about this restaurant.

• Visited September 2012