“Mamas on the Half Shell went the Whole Way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mama's on the Half Shell

Mama's on the Half Shell
2901 O'Donnell St, Baltimore, MD 21224-4821 (Canton)
(410) 276-3160
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Doing business
Neighborhood: Canton
“Mamas on the Half Shell went the Whole Way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

A friend recommended this restaurant to us...we were tired of eating in the Bay Area with long lines, high prices and mediocre meals. This restaurant was terrific in every way. We were seated quickly in this cozy and charming upstairs dining room with a fireplace, had excellent service and delicious meals. I had lobster with eggs and potatoes and not only was it cooked perfectly and flavorful but there was plenty of lobster, not the usual token bite or two. This came with a generous serving of fresh fruit. My husband had a crab, shrimp and Gouda cheese omelette that he was equally enthusiastic about. We had absolutely no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed our meals!

Greenwich, Connecticut
“Cute - Quaint - Quality Food - BUSY PLACE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My spouse and I decided to go somewhere unique, and unique it was!

The place had a home-like atmosphere and warmth to it. We ate in the bar area, as the dining room upstairs was totally packed. Good sign, right?

The hostess was courteous, our waitress was extremely attentive, however, the appetizers did take longer than usual. However, we didn't complain. People these days are in such a rush and never get to enjoy relaxation, so I never take comments such as "Service was Slow" too seriously.

Anyways, the food was great! The appetizer, "Bacon Wrapped Scallops" were exceptional and cooked to perfection. The Entree was to die for: Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon. Again, cooked to perfection. Oh, and by all means: GET THE COLE SLAW !!!

We were too full to have dessert, but our neighbors next to us did - DARN, I wanted to take a bite!

Any who - It's worth the trip over that side of the city for a good home-like atmosphere!

Oh, and as for those negative comments about service: HUH? Everyone was super nice? I don't understand?!?!

Europe
“Good food - no reservations policy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This place was recommended by an ex chef from Baltimore for our first visit to the city. It is heaving with people on a Friday evening so go early particularly if you are more than four. There is an upstairs restaurant or a downstairs bar (where we ate) which is noisy, busy but has a great atmosphere.

The menu is unsurprisingly based on seafood and the famed Maryland crab cakes. We ordered appetizers and mains - far too much food honestly. Share an appetiser or do as the people on the neighboring table did and share the main course. Service was fast and friendly - they really do want to turn these tables quickly. Don't expect to linger but if you're having a coffee and a brandy they will leave you alone.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Bad Food/Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I were frequent customers of this restaurant, but I don't think we will be going back. I ordered the caesar salad which was REALLY BAD!!! I eat out quite often so I've had caesar salad at numerous restaurants and this was the worse. I guess I wouldn't care so much if it didn't cost $8.00. It tasted like lettuce with mayonnaise on it. No anchovy flavoring at all. The chef put a little parmesan cheese around the rim of the plate and there were no croutons in it. They served it with a small slice of toasted bread that had what I was told was an olive spread on top. YUK!!!

The waiter noticed that I didn't eat it and asked what what was wrong. He went to the chef (not at my request) and reported back to me that the chef said "he tasted it and found it to be fine". Basically the chef was telling me (the customer) that I was wrong. Who asked for his opinion? Not me. Not everyone has the same taste, and of course any chef would say his food is good. DAH!!! I was really offended by this, and asked to speak with the manager. That only made things worse. His name is Rich and he definitely needs to brush up on his customer service skills. He was really arrogant and acted like I was bothering him. He actually asked me if I wanted him to take it off the check. Most places wouldn't even ask, they would just do it. I did care so much about him removing the cost from the check, I just wanted to be treated like I mattered.

If it was a food that I've never tried before, and just didn't like it that would be different. I want to emphasize once again that it was awful. Just bland.

It's not like we only had a caesar salad. We both had drinks, my husband had crab soup and their fried seafood platter (almost the most expensive thing on the menu at $27). Since I wasn't that hungry, I ordered the french onion soup and the caesar salad.

There are many restaurants in Baltimore that have much better food and customer service. I think I will stick with them and you should too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Surf City, North Carolina
“Great food and atmoshpere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We visited this restaurant with friends recently and absolutely loved it. The staff was great and the food was amazing. You have to try the beer muscles for an app. Not to be missed in Baltimore.