“Best Sour Beef and Dumplings Ever!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, German, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Canton, Maryland, United States
“Best Sour Beef and Dumplings Ever!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

The food isn't the problem here, all the German food was great, its the depressing service... no quick night here, try for at least 2 hours for dinner... Love the Sourbratten,, just like Grannies!! The night I went before they ran out of bananas for the desert of the house, rum soaked bananas.. go figure... but if you like German style food in a friendly setting and you're not in a hurry, try it out!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Annapolis, MD
“A little taste of Germany”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

The need for objectivity and recognition of ones personal perspective at the time really is important in forming opinions and reviews that capture the accuracy needed to help guide others with critiques and reviews. This was most important to keep in mind now as I bring you our experiences and impressions of the meal at the Eichenkranz restaurant in east Baltimore. We were keen to visit once more this long standing German focused restaurant having grown up in the same general area and having noted some less than enthusiastic reviews on Trip Adviser.

It was December 23 and we were all in light hearts having just visited a city area known for its outlandish amount of Christmas lights and decorations. But we also had not visited the restaurant in over three years due to the distance from our home. We were nearly its only patrons arriving after 7:30 on a night most people are rushing to finish holiday preparations. Of immediate note was the somewhat improved décor of mirrored walls and nicely attended tables. Our cheery and attentive waitress provided good timing all around. Having had a brief stop earlier we went straight for the entrées. They offer four versions of Veal Schnitzel along with other German and American favorites. Three of us selected two different versions of Schnitzel, the Jager Schnitzel (brown mushroom gravy) and the Schnitzel Eichenkranz (with cheese and smoked ham on top). Our fourth member chose her favorite Sauerbraten with dumplings, having a fine appreciation for the white globes in tasty gravy. The Schnitzel came with two choices of sides. Our choices were all top notch: cole slaw, French fries, German green beans, honeyed carrots, and red cabbage. This restaurant, located on the perimeter between neighborhood houses and the avenue retail section, has succeeded in providing tasty well prepared food (and authentic German renditions) at very reasonable price levels. You can also find a nice range of German beers, although none on tap, from their full bar selection.

As objectively as possible we would like to say that anyone who is looking for a modest culinary experience in an attractive setting with friendly and attentive service, a little off the beaten path, to give it a try. Our four entrées one glass of house wine and a large (16 oz) German imported beer was under seventy dollars before tip. Maybe some of the prior reviewers with low opinions may have been expecting more than a simple, homey alternative to four star culinaryl experiences.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
baltimore
“The food was really, really good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

We have gone to this restaurant several times and each time whatever we had to eat was really good. The sour beef and dumplings are just like oma's. The rouladen is just like moms. The american dishes we had were lasagna and steak. Both of them were incredible. Now we can't decide what to eat the next time we go back. Recommend this place highly.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
washington, nc
“I Love Eichenkranz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I've been to Eichenkranz five or six times over the last few years and try to get there whenever I'm in Baltimore. I've had all the schnitzels , the saurbraten and the hassenpfeffer. All were excellent, as was the service and pricing. The atmosphere is as you'd expect for an old establishment and bepeaks authenticity; those complaining about it in these reviews are probably used to chain restaurants with silly theme decor. Last time I ate there the chef came out and chatted with us very amiably. I wish there were more such restaurants still around.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Hell hath no fury as this Hossenpfeffer!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011 via mobile

I can't even explain our night at this place. I mistakenly thought I needed reservations (queue crickets). We ordered German food but what was served was horrific and most likely sat for days in water before it was cooked and served. I was embarrassed and in tears when I left because I was so excited to go all week, that I told everyone... I shouldve known when no one (all life long Baltimore residents) had ever heard of it. I wish the reviews left by others were honest, because if they were, I wouldn't still be in shock. If we didnt feel sorry for the waitress, I wouldn't have left a single penny tip! My son insists the hossenpfeffer was Baltimore alley rat!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere