“Terrific Greek food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Annapolis, Maryland
“Terrific Greek food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Delicious Greek delicacies in a setting that takes you to the old country. Try the calamari. Highly recommend.

Visited October 2012

Clarksville, Maryland
“Interesting place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been here twice after funerals of some Greek friends. It is a classic Greek place, can take a large crowd, but the food is just OK, a the wine is, of course Greek, so it is just OK. Have never gone on my own.

Visited July 2012
Philadelphia, PA
“Beware of this Greek eatery bearing little meat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I had always wanted to try Ikaros in East Baltimore's Greektown section. Ye Gods -- what a disappointment! I knew were were in for a Herculean labor when the server asked us if we were ready to order before we even had menus and silverware at the table (which needed the busboy to fix a wobbly leg). The flatware was all different styles -- a sure sign that someone was being careless and throwing out the utencils. I ordered a lamb dish and my wife had the stuffed zucchini squash. My dish was pretty good, but you'd have needed Jason and all his Argonauts to find more than a speck of ground beef in her entree. Perhaps it was an off night in the kitchen, but to quote Socrates: "Wisdom begins with wonder." I'm still wondering about the wisdom of plunking down my drachmas for this average Hellenic repast.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bowie, Maryland, United States
“Some good, some bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first visit since they moved to their new location. We always enjoyed Ikaros, both the food and the service. There were parts of this experience that left us wanting the old Ikaros. We had a reservation for a Friday and were seated immediately. However, it doesn't look like they manage their reservation system very well. The hostess never checked a book or a computer to "cross my name off." I am glad we got there when we did. Within 15-20 minutes, the place was full. I wonder if I would have had to wait for a table if my reservation was for a later time.

It took a few minutes for a waitress to come to our table. She was very nice, but seemed to be a bit harried. This continued throughout the night. She would disappear for long stretches at a time. Not just from our table, but from view. Looking around the restaurant, it seemed the entire wait staff was running around in a state of hurry.

Even though the service wasn't as good as we hoped, the food was delicious. My mother-in-law had the Moussaka. It was a huge portion and she really liked it. I had the Beef Guvetsaki from the oven. It was chunks of very tender beef, cooked with Greek pasta in tomato-wine sauce, covered with feta cheese. Fantastic. My wife had one of their new entrees from the rotisserie, Kontosouvli. It was chunks of pork cooked with herbs. It was served with roasted potatoes. Delicious. The meat had a nice crust on it and it tasted great. All three of us brought some of our dinner home with us. The rotisserie food is only offered on Friday and Saturday, I was told. One downside was that three of the selections from the rotisserie were not ready yet. This shouldn't happen. If that is the case, maybe tell the guests how long it will be. It could be worth the wait.

The prices are very reasonable. We had drinks, apps, salad, dinner, wine and the bill for the three of us was only $135. I do want to mention that the waitresses still write everything down on the old-style order pads. When you get your bill, it may be a bit hard to decipher exactly what you are being charged for. Why the restaurant doesn't have a computer-based system is beyond me. Seems like it would be easier for everyone.

To me, it seems that right now, Ikaros is still trying to find its way in the new space. Someone needs to bring some order to everything in order to right the ship and get it sailing smooth. I think they need to get some type of reservation management system in place, and have a manager working the floor to ensure everything is running smoothly.

Also highly recommend a reservation, especially on a weekend. Like I mentioned earlier, the restaurant got full quickly and the bar area looked like it was rather full as well. You can't get mad about a long wait if you just walk in off the street expecting to be sat.

I am looking forward to another visit to see if things have changed at all. Hopefully so.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“maybe for a long lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were always impressed by the pleasant service, as well as the scrumptious food and the casual ambiance at the old place. The food was still good in the new surroundings, but maybe it seemed so because we were starved by the time it reached us. In the two and a half hours we were there we waited for a table,waited for place settings, waited to give our order, waited for our food, waited to have water refilled(it never was), waited for our check, etc., etc., etc. The service was neither professional nor charming. Being from a family of waiters, my husband rarely leaves only a 15% tip, but he did this time. Maybe we'll give it another chance on a quiet afternoon for lunch.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere