“Don't go” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alonso's Restaurant (Loco Hombre)

Alonso's Restaurant (Loco Hombre)
415 W Cold Spring Ln, Baltimore, MD 21210-2845
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Don't go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place is dirty, flies, sticky table top, overcooked unseasoned tuna in a gummy wrap with undercooked white rice. Shrimp fajitas looked like frozen small shrimp. Sever sticks fingers in glasses when removing from table. Was not busy on a Friday at 7 pm, and still had to wait for water refills.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Burgers are ok, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went to Alonso's on a Sunday evening, my partner and his son wanted burgers and I, after looking at their menu online, decided I would try an Italian dish. We were seated at a booth with a table top soo sticky I had to keep peeling the drinks menu off of it. We ordered our food, 2 burgeres and I ordered the Spaghetti Bolognese. The food arrived promptly, however, the bolognese sauce was the furthest thing from italian I have ever tasted - it was chili! Mildly hot chili over pasta. I sent it back and ordered the pull pork sandwhich instead, which was passable but not great. I was told the sauce on the pasta was "their meat sauce". I guess "their meat sauce" does double duty for both Alosn's and Loco Hombre.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch on Sunday”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We got to the restaurant just as they had opened. I had been there many times, and had even worked at Alonso's when I was younger, so since it had been about 20 years since I had been there, I was bragging to my companions about the reputation of the restaurant. Unfortunately .. the server (perhaps manager?) was very smug, did not seem to care that our order was incorrect, and attempted a tet-a-tet with my husband about the incorrect order. From the moment we were there, we didn't feel welcomed, but chose to stay anyway, based on my past fond memories of the restaurant. Granted - the burgers are still as yummy and big as they use to be, but I was embarrassed that the server's ego was bigger than than the enormous burger. Never again..I was also upset that our two orders (a burger/fries/beer & coke for me, and a 10-inch pizza for my guest) came to $34.00. Waaay too much for the quality and the restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Neighborhood Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Local. Convenient. Neighborly. Best Burger around. Cozy atmosphere. Loco Hombre is nice every once in a while but the Alonzo's side is relaxing and comfortable. Couldn't ask for a better neighborhood joint.

Visited January 2013
Washington
“Waited an hour for lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I hadn't been to Alonso's in a while, but was never overwhelmed. Still, a crowd of 10 of us decided to go for lunch. As luck would have it, we came in right after a crowd of 12 or so. We were basically the only people on the Loco Hombre side of the shop, and yet both groups waited more than an hour for food. Inexcusable.

The staff kept saying it's coming, it's coming, but we're talking about burgers and sandwiches. At no point did the staff offer any consolation -- a basket of chips,a drink, whatever. They just seemed not put out at all by the obscene wait. In the end, two of our party had to leave before the food even got there.

The burgers are huge, and the wings were good. But the wait was beyond ridiculous, and FYI, there's no kids menu, so you want a burger for your child, the only choices are half- and full-pound. The thing to do is order the sliders appetizer between two kids. Or, better yet, eat somewhere else. We will not be back anytime soon.

• Visited October 2012