“Classic Neighborhood Athena” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Baltimore, Maryland
“Classic Neighborhood Athena”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The only negative about Samos is that it is a cash only restaurant. The food is really good especially the fried Calamari (ask for it to be extra crispy) and their salad dressing which can also be purchased to take home. Entrees are a little pricey. The vegetables are not that good....but the Greek salad and Calamari are great. Also if you want to drink, you have to bring your own....also remember the cash....an ATM is close by.

Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
“Unwelcoming”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you're from the local neighborhood I'm sure you like this restaurant. But if not, you will not feel welcome. When we walked in 20 people were waiting to be seated, and the line didn't move for the 20 minutes we waited. Nobody welcomed us. Nobody told us how to put a name on a waiting list. After we sood around for a while and saw only one of the crowded tabled actually being served. The atmosphere is drab. The crowds are only locals, and our observation is that Baltimorians care more about large helpings and frumpy atmosphere than they do quality food.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Severn, Maryland
“Delicious Greek Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The food at Samos is delicious and the portions are huge. My husband and I each had the combination platter and enjoyed sampling all the different foods. Service was attentive and friendly. We arrived at 6:15 p.m. on a Thursday and had to wait about 30 minutes for a table. But the food is so outstanding that it is definitely worth the wait. We look forward to returning to this excellent restaurant very soon!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Awesome Greek food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I would give Samos five stars, but the Saturday wait can be quite annoying. Nonetheless, I have renewed my love for Greek food because of this place.

I ordered a lot of food here and everything exceeded expectations. The spanakopita was small, but delicious. Perfectly crisp, not too oily, and the spinach and cheese gelled well together. The gyros are to die for. They are absolutely amazing. The tzatziki sauce was the key ingredient here. I normally order the sauce of the side so I can lightly dip my gyro into the sauce. That didn't happen here. I literally doused/poured/drenched my gyro with the sauce. THEN, I ordered extra pita bread and extra tzatziki sauce. THEN, I ordered french fries and extra tzatziki sauce. It was that good. Finally, please order the baklava. It had a hint of cinnamon, and it was awesome.

Service is friendly and prompt. However, like I mentioned, there is always a wait and there are no reservations. Please note that Samos accepts only cash. Don't be like me. I didn't know and had to stop by Walgreens with a debit card to get cash back.

Visited May 2013
New York
“Best Greek Food in Baltimore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I love Samos and eat here frequently. This is a tiny hole-in-the-wall place that feels like my Grandma's Greek kitchen, if I were Greek. The restaurant is small and intimate, with a lot of old-world charm. Walking into the restaurant, you can smell an array of spices and flavors, and you know that you are in for an amazing treat. I love the Greek salad, (the feta cheese is amazing), the cheese and spinach pie, the stuffed grape leaves, the gyros, and the incredible pitas. I've never had a bad meal at Samos. A few cautions: BYOB. No reservations. No delivery, but they do take-out orders. Parking is on-street only. It's very crowded at peak lunch and dinner hours. Cash only. Order enough to take home for lunch the next day. You'll be glad you did. :)

• Visited June 2013