“A wee bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aldo's Restaurant

Aldo's Restaurant
306 S High St, Baltimore, MD 21202 (Little Italy)
410-727-0700
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Aldo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #275 of 1,673 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: Fawn Street
Description: “One of the best Italian restaurants in America” / "The wine list at Aldo's is exemplary, easily one of the best on the east coast” / “This is clearly a labor of familial love, and it shows in every dish" -- John Mariani (of Esquire Magazine), 2012 Aldo’s is Baltimore’s most celebrated Italian restaurant. Aldo's features Chef/Owner Aldo Vitale's delicately balanced southern-influenced regional Italian cuisine, served in sumptuously appointed rooms steeped in classical Italian tradition. The media rave about Aldo's, calling it "An Italian Masterpiece" (NY Times) and have recognized Aldo's for offering Maryland's "Best Private Dining" (The Baltimore Sun) and "Baltimore's Best Private Dining Rooms" (Baltimore Magazine). Private dining rooms include a belowground, climate-controlled Wine Cellar and a Medici-inspired Library. Visit the website at www.aldositaly.com for a virtual tour. * Complimentary shuttle service is provided to downtown area hotels *
Georgia, USA
“A wee bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Food very good with over the top service resulting in an excellent evening that would be even better if you are not paying your own way. However, we were, and we'd prefer to have the cuisine quality without the over the top pricing. We found Sotta Sopra and La Scala equivalent quality with slightly less expense.
Verdict: good for foodies, sort of. Absolutely no complaints but equivalent cuisine can be had for less if that is what you want. If you want the best service, go here. Complimentary limocello was a letdown: it tasted of coconut or something similar and did not have much zest. It was a so-called “secret recipe”.
It feels like the pricing in this restaurant is milking its glory days.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Exceptional Italian Dining in Baltimore's Little Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our third visit to Aldo's, but our last visit was several years ago. We were part of a party of four couples. Our first happy surprise occurred immediately when the hostess escorted our large group to a private dining room.

We started with a shared bottle of Proseeco, then ordered two reasonably priced whites and two reds from Aldo's very large selection of Italian wines. I made the selections, and kept the price in the forty dollar range ( the bottom of the menu's price range). Nevertheless, everyone was very pleased with the selections.

I started with the wild mushroom polenta served in a bowl. It was one of the best funghi dishes I have ever enjoyed. For dinner I had the Ossobuco. I was delighted with the preparation.

Among the other main course selections that our party enjoyed was the evening's dinner special lamb ragu, lamb porterhouse, lobster risotto and the veal fancese. Everyone raved about their meals.

We spent three hours enjoying our meals and the wine. By the end of the evening we got quite boisterous, but who cared, we were in a private dining room.

Our total bill shared four ways came to $162 per couple. Considering the amount of wine included, I found the bill quite reasonable for the experience. However, Aldo's is not your typical Little Italy restaurant. It is among the more expensive places to eat in Little Italy, but everyone in our group thought we received great value.

Aldo's is known as one of the finest restaurants in Little Italy. It truly lived up to its reputation on this occasion. I highly recommend the dining experience at Aldo's.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore
“Wine lovers beware!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

After experiencing the same sketchy behavior 3 times in a row, I've decided to finally post a review about it. A few years ago, before I even visited this restaurant, I read a review online that stated this place loves to pull the bait and switch on wine. I shrugged it off and visited anyway, as I knew the food would be spectacular. Sure enough, the bottle I ordered wasn't available, and they offered a more expensive bottle. No problem, the wine ended up being delicious, and the food was outstanding. Fast forward to last night, with a few more Aldo's visits under my belt. I still had some apprehension that this would happen again, and sure enough, it did. I ordered the FEATURED Rosso, and it was, of course, not available. I find it funny that another reviewer mentioned the staff's lack of knowledge when it comes to Italian wine. My waiter didn't even know the FEATURED wine when I ordered it. Sure enough, he came back to the table about 5 minutes later to tell me they had a 2010 vintage of the wine, as opposed to the 2009 I ordered, but it would be $10 more. Now maybe 2010 was a much better year in Tuscany for Rosso, but I have a hunch that it wasn't. My friend ordered a much nicer bottle, a 2007 Tignanello SuperTuscan. Shockingly, the waiter returned 10 minutes later to inform him they only had the 2010. After trying to order another SuperTuscan, waiting another 5 minutes for the waiter to return, he was informed that there were no other SuperTuscans available in the cellar. My friend went with the 2010, a far less impressive Tignanello. Don't get me wrong, the waiter was very apologetic, and made every attempt to be as professional as possible in a situation of complete restaurant incompetence. He blamed the lack of wine on Restaurant Week, but I know better. This has been an issue every single time I've visited Aldo's. Whoever is running the wine program there is definitely killing this restaurant for me.

Now to the food. On any given night, you're going to have an outstanding meal at Aldo's. I can't deny the flavor of the food. However, the restaurant week offerings were not up to par with the rest of the menu, and quite frankly, were a little insulting. I would much rather a restaurant offer me two beautiful, generous dishes as opposed to three if they are that concerned about conserving cost. The plating of the ribeye was horrendous, and there was really nothing special about it. The scallops and sweet corn risotto were cooked to perfection, but were definitely a small portion. It really didn't hit me until another member of our party ordered a meal from the regular menu, and it nearly tripled the size of the restaurant week dishes.

All in all, I would say that if you're looking for a far superior wine list (that is actually available), and a perfectly seasoned and portioned $30 Italian dinner, head on over to Cinghiale. You won't be disappointed. I'm so sorry Aldo's, I really do LOVE your food, but your wine program is sketchy and your Restaurant Week menu is not Aldo's quality.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Great Foie Gras and Tournedos Rossini”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good ambiance, fine service, and even better food. The tournedos rossini was all that I expected, but a foie gras with cherries was the star of the show. Not pricey, apart from the Tournedos, and interesting other items. Restaurant Week tagliata also was excellent, altho the panzanella salad was way too bitter.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Elegant and tasteful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had dinner for three last month and were very pleased with the food and service. This is an elegant restaurant with the staff dressed properly in tuxedo and white, formal shirt. Why the patrons dress as if they're going to a truck stop I don't know. Come on people, help the owner and staff maintain that special ambiance in this fine restaurant. Life is good...dress up for it.
The food is excellent Middle Italian food, well presented and delicious. I will be returning with quest next week and I look forward to a pleasant dining experience.

• Visited June 2013