“Good Thai for the Money (with Qualification)” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #463 of 1,793 restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Thai
Baltimore, MD
“Good Thai for the Money (with Qualification)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The standard that I use for judging Thai food in the Baltimore area is "Thai One On" in Towson. I do not like everything that Thai One On serves (for the price charged), but there are some dishes that I order often, and I decided to compare Elephant Wok's versions, because my favorite meal at Thai One on has started to seem expensive (One or two makis + Green Curry w. Chick + Drunken Noodles w. mixed seafood).

I tried EW's "summer rolls" and enjoyed them a lot. They were fresh and tasty with the sauce provided.

I tried EW's papaya salad, which was good, but not as nice as Thai One On's. The taste of the dressing was much more faint, and there were less peanuts on top.

I tried EW's Massaman Curry w. beef, and the sauce was pleasantly aromatic and tasty. Some might find it a bit too "perfumey," but I liked it (imagine tastes like cinnamon and nutmeg in a savory dish). It did not like the fact that EW was stingy with the beef.

I tried EW's Green Curry w. chicken. The sauce tasted good, but I would have liked it a bit creamier and with more basil, coconut milk and "chunks" of veg and meat. I did not like it as well as Thai One On's.

I tried EW's Drunken Noodles w. seafood. It was good, but it paled in comparison to Thai One On's. The sauce was not as noticeable, sweet, or tasty. The amount and variety of seafood was lacking in comparison.

Overall, I found EW to put out pretty tasty Thai food for the money, but if I really want to give my mouth a treat, Thai One On is still my go-to place. I wish that I could find a mom-n-pop, carry out Thai place that puts out the same quality of food for a lower price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Baltimore, Maryland
“Finally - Thai Delivery in Canton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We ordered from Elephant Thai last night and were pleasantly surprised. I believe they only deliver on Friday and Saturday nights however. Perhaps as they will add more nights as more people discover them. We ordered the chicken wings. They were a bit too greasy for us, but they were meaty. I will skip them next time. I ordered the Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp. It was excellent! Great flavor. Nice and spicy too. We also ordered the Drunken Noodles with Shrimp and the Ground Chicken Basil. Both were also really good. I asked for spicy and they gave us spicy! What's nice is that for the entrees you can order a small or large portion. We ordered both as small and there was plenty to share. Since we had wings and soup, we even have some left over. The prices are ridiculously cheap for Baltimore. The soup was $2.95 and the rest ranged from $5.95 to $7.95. We will definitely order from there again!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great Thai food, great prices in Fells Point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This place is primarily a carry out, but there are about four tables. It's set up very similar to the local Broadway Latin carry-outs, nothing fancy. The food is fantastic, and truly authentic. Excellent pricing with the best veggie pad-Thai I've had in Baltimore!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food