“Tasty” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Bronx, New York
“Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I liked everything about Miss Shirley's restaurant. The food taste great, the atmosphere was good & the service was exceptional.

Visited February 2014

Danville, Pennsylvania
“MUST EAT HERE.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Needed breakfast before heading to the Aquarium and this gem is conveniently located very close by. Must get there early or be ready to wait. It was Super Bowl Sunday and we arrived about 9am and the place was filling up quickly. Overwhelmed by amazing selections on the menu. Some of the dishes have a Cajun flare but there is a wide variety to suit all tastebuds! They have breakfast coctails that looked spectacular. The table next to us had cocktails and we could hear their "Mmmm's" of approval. My husband had the shrimp and grits, andouille sausage, corn bread. and I had the Coconut Cream French toast. Everything was amazing! Party in your mouth yum! Miss Shirley knows what she is doing! This place is a must try!!!

Visited February 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What a menu! You'll need to make plenty of trips here to try it all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I did a ton of Internet research before my Baltimore trip and knew that Miss Shirley’s had just the type of food I was looking for. On my first visit, I arrived about 45 minutes prior to closing time. I opted to carry out food so I wouldn’t hold up the wait staff. I was in need of lunch and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to order something else off the menu for an after concert meal. The menu had so many delicious sounding options, that making a final decision was tough. For my lunch, I chose the Park Place Almond Chicken Salad and selected the stone ground grits with diced bacon as my side. The ciabatta bread had a fresh baked texture and flavor. The chicken salad was creamy with a bit more almond slivers than I liked. Mixed greens and tomatoes complimented the sandwich, which was plenty for a very hungry person. The scoop of thick, yet moist buttery grits with chewy bacon pieces was an odd side to be paired with the sandwich. I wanted to make sure I sampled them and didn’t want to pick something less exciting. For the late night meal I ordered the Benne Seed Chicken ‘N Waffles. Hours later and dying to try the chicken/waffle combo, I carefully nuked them for a very short time as advised by the cashier at Shirley’s. The waffles were thick and softer, minus the hard crunch. I couldn’t quite make out the flavors, yet knew they were savory and definitely tasted the cheese. The chicken pieces were plump, juicy and not greasy at all. The batter flavor was tasty. This meal came with peppadew jalapeno butter and honey mustard aioli, but I just used the pure maple syrup and was in heaven. The following morning before my departure home I made a second visit for what really made me want to come here in the first place…the French toast of the month- Salted Caramel Swirl Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast, topped with whipped cream, powdered sugar and a salted caramel brittle! Pressed for time, I once again ordered food to go. Not sure how the food would fare after a two hour drive home, I played it safe, with the exception of the French toast. I also ordered the Sweet Potato Biscuits, the Cornbread Squares and the Can’t Beet This Power Greens Salad. The French toast was a huge disappointment. I’m pretty sure it would have tasted better fresh from the kitchen, but either way after three bites, it was set aside…I could eat no more. It was far too sweet, in a way that made you feel sick afterwards. I pulled it apart to make sense of how it was created. In between each layer of the thick Texas like toast was a cheesecake mixture the consistency of a thick pudding, not cheesecake. It could have easily been shared by several people. I brought the salad home to my mother who raved about how delicious it was. The savory cornbread, a tad greasy, would have been great with a hot bowl of chili. The sweet potato biscuits were a bit above average, but adding the peach jalapeno jam and they instantly became superior.
Service was super friendly each visit and the well packaged food took just a short time to come out of the kitchen. I will definitely be back to Miss Shirley’s on my next visit to Baltimore. There are far too many things on the menu I still need to try.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Don't Miss This One!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This place is a one of a kind experience not to be missed by anyone who likes good breakfast and is in Baltimore. The service is meh, ok. The decor is meh, ok. Location and parking same. But the food! It can render you speechless! Everything fresh, top of the line ingredients, pure perfection! Price is high for breakfast but I would seriously consider paying double that for those flavors!

New York
“Their Chicken and Waffles are Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Went here on a Saturday morning close to noon, and surprisingly we were seated right away. We had mimosas which were pretty good and fairly priced. My gf had their special Salted Caramel French Toast with Bacon, and she said it was really good. I would have tried it, but i didnt want to ruin the amazing taste of Chicken and Waffles. The waffles were perfect and had a unique flavor. The chicken was perfectly fried and juicy. Prices arent bad, it was around $48 for 2 mimosas and the 2 dishes.

• Visited January 2014