“Smoky” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
Philadelphia
“Smoky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I want to be positive about this hotel - the staff were friendly and helpful; it had free breakfast, wifi, gym, and pool; good location; and the price was pretty good for the location. It was so quiet, it took me 2 days to realize I could not hear any traffic, construction, or anything else from outside.

But the place stank of smoke. My first room was non smoking, but on a floor with smoking rooms, and was unbearable. After enough complaining I got put on a non-smoking floor, which was better, but far from good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnerHarbor, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear mwcohen1:

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your experience at the Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we strive to ensure that all of our guests receive the experience they deserve.

We appologize for the smoky odor on your initial floor. I am pleased that you were moved, and did enjoy the hotels amenities and location.

Thank you again for your feedback as we always strive to improve both our service and hotel overall.

We hope that you will consider us the next time you are visiting the Baltimore, MD area. Please reach out to me directly if I can be of service.

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bulverde, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

While traveling in the United States we ALWAYS stay in Hampton Inns. We love the reception we recieve when arriving and the focus on customer satisfaction. That being said, this Hampton Inn provided none of those things. The hotel is fairly well located in the Inner Harbor, but not the best. We chose it because of our allegiance to Hampton, big mistake. We booked on line and reserved a room on the "Historic 7th Floor" this was done because the web site states that "Our historic 7th floor guest rooms open into a private lobby appointed with original marble and mahogany." Sounded perfect for a relaxing visit to the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. We arrived early for check in due to the flight schedule and decided to see if our room might be available. Upon arriving at the front desk I handed the young lady our reservation, ID and Credit Card, expecting to be welcomed to the Hampton as a Hilton Hhonors member...........so much for expectations. She never made eye contact and stated: "We have not rooms available", no "hello", no "welcome to the Hampton Inn", no smile.........
taken back a bit, I stated that I had pre-paid for a room on the "historic 7th floor." She then stated that I was too early and the rooms were not ready. Would have been nice if she had said: "Welcome to the Hampton Inn, we are so glad you chose us. We are putting the final touches on your room so please leave your luggage with us and feel free to relax in the lobby." Her attitude made me wish I had not pre-paid for a non-refundable room so that I could have left then and there. She had nothing else to say, and turned and walked away from us. Not knowing with to do we went and sat in the lobby, feeling quite unwelcomed, after a long day of flights. In a few minutes she left to go downstairs to an employee party and was replaced by another employee. We then returned to the desk and again stated that we were there and gave the gentelman our reservations. We told him we knew the room was not ready, but asked if he could give us an idea of when it might be so that we would know what to do. He radioed housekeeping and was informed that the room was ready for us!!!???!!! Off we happily went to our "historic 7th floor room with the private lobbby" NOT!!! we we down around hallways tucked into a corner with a room that faced an abandoned building with boarded up windows and opened into a dark little hallway................where was this marvelous, grand private lobby????? We unpacked and resigned ourselves to the pre-paid, non-refundable dissapointment and went back to the lobby to ask if there were any unique cafes within walking distance and were told that there was a MacDonalds close by!!!! The staff at the front desk remained very uninterested in assisting us and were very cold and continued to NEVER make eye contact. Our stay here was such a dissapointment and we will NEVER - EVER - EVER stay here again. Oh we did find the "historic, private lobby on the 7th floor............far from our room. Don't fall for that advertisement, get another room. This Hampton is privately owned and not part of the corporate Hampton Inn family. My suggestion is to forego your allegiance to the Hilton Family and book a better hotel when staying in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. The only nice people associated with this hotel are the valet parking staff (not affiliated with Hampton Inn). The hotel staff really needs some intensive customer service training. This hotel is a disgrace to the Hampton name.

Room Tip: Avoid the TRAP of paying more for the "Historic 7th Floor" NOT worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our warm and welcoming team. We are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience, and appreciate your feedback.

Your satisfaction is very important to us and we work hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. We sincerely apologize for the level of service that you received while staying with us. We will be sure to address our team members to ensure that this is an isolated event.

If there is anything that I can do to rectify this stay, please contact me directly. Thank you again for your feedback. Please also reach out to me directly if I can be of service for your next visit to Baltimore.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed over weekend and found the hotel quite accomodating for the price. The 2 queen suite had lots of room, the bathroom was big, the location was central and safe, and the free breakfast was good.
I thought the gym and business center were a little small but all of the machines (both places) were newer and in working order. I really liked the pool.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and will likely return to this hotel when I return to Baltimore.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Inner-Harbor on your recent trip to the area. After reading your comments, I am so happy to hear that our Suite was a great fit for you during your visit.

We're thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy the pool while you were here. We feel as if our Hotel is in a wonderful location with great amenities.

Thank you for your business and feedback, and I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Baltimore area! Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Watch out for downtown construction and road closures. Otherwise, this hotel works great. Very close to everything that downtown Baltimore has to offer, yet not in the middle of it all, at night anyway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonInnerHarbor, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for joining us here the Historic Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor. We appreciate you sharing this positive feedback with our hotel team, as well as prospective guests.

Improving the roads does make for detours, but the end result should be worth it! Our location is perfect for the Inner Harbor and is close to a lot without being too close to the night life.

I want to thank you again for your time, as well as your valued feedback. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Baltimore area.

Yours in hospitality,

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel is clean, well appointed and staffed plus close to the Inner Harbor , convention Center and major businesses. Parking is steep, valet only at $32 night. There are other cheaper self serve lots closeby. Free breakfast is very good. Perfect for business or leisure travel. The only drawback to this location is its very close proximity to the seedy district where strip bars are on every corner. You are fine as long as you do not go east and north 2 blocks. All in all good value and right next door to the Water St collection, a quaint assortment of pubs and restaurants with full service patios.

Room Tip: Given the closeness of neighbouring buildings, do not expect any staggering views from any rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Historic Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor on your recent trip to Baltimore. I am glad to see you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We appreciate you sharing this positive feedback with our hotel team, as well as prospective guests.

I want to thank you again for your time, as well as your valued feedback. I hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Baltimore area.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

For an inner city hotel the windows were pretty good at keeping out the noise, the room was really spacious and clean. Everything seemed fresh with the flavor of a historic property.I loved the public areas with huge marble expanses - this was once headquarters for a major insurance company - sort of like staying in a bank.

We could walk to the Inner Harbor and catch the water taxi to everywhere, we also walked to Camden Yards for an Orioles game. There is a free circulator bus that has a couple of different routes and we caught one about a half a block away to just ride around and see the city. If we would have had more time, I would have done every route. Baltimore has a small metro system but I've never used it.

The hotel breakfast was more than adequate with eggs, omlets, waffles, fruit, yogurt and more. 24 hour coffee in the lobby and it was decent too.

Like any major city parking is an issue or added expense. We found it less expensive to park our car with the valet for the whole day and either walk or take the bus to where we needed. Then on the days we took the car out we had it out for the entire day. We like to tip the valet and other hotel staff so that can add up in addition to the daily fee as they have to park your car and retrieve it..

It was all great: location, clean, large rooms, nice breakfast and great staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan U, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Gallaghers Travels,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner-Harbor on your recent trip to the area. After reading your comments, I see there were many positive aspects to your stay. We will use your feedback to improve our overall level of service and ensure our future guests receive the best possible experience at our hotel.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this hotel for our trip after I read the previous reviews on here. These reviews do not do this hotel justice!! We got into Baltimore around 11-ish a.m. and went to see if we could leave our luggage at the hotel so that we could go sightsee. Nasar was the gentleman who checked us in. He is really terrific @ his job! He let us check in early and even upgraded the room to a suite (my mom decided @ the last minute to come along on the trip & we already had 4 people so I had ordered a cot) when I asked to make sure that the roll away was in the room by late afternoon. This was a HUGE savings!! He even got us discounted tickets to the Aquarium so that we did not have to pay full price. He then said to call him if we needed anything else during our stay. I'm not sure if he is a manager, but if not, I have never had an employee go above & beyond like that for us. They have a full hot breakfast every day including: waffles, oatmeal, some type of egg (omelette, scrambled), some type of breakfast meat: (sausage [smoked or turkey] & bacon), cereal, muffins, bagels. One morning there were sausage gravy and biscuits. The lady in charge of the breakfast, Antoinette, is simply amazing! She makes sure everything is out there for you and if it isn't she goes to find it (if it's something they have there). I think the only thing they ran out of 1 day was some milk and she got it refilled real quick. This hotel is only 2 blocks from Inner Harbor. The beds are comfy and they change your sheets everyday. The shampoo, conditioner & shower gel are on the wall in the shower and then they give you a bottle of lotion and a bottle of hand sanitizer. Since we had so many people in our room, they gave us 2 bottles. The shower and the tub are in a separate area from the sink so someone can be taking a shower and using the sink at the same time. The mini-kitchen area (fridge & microwave) had a sink and mirror there too so there is plenty of space for alot of people to get ready. The free wi-fi was pretty quick too. The only slight complaint I could have is that because the hotel is not very tall (about 7 floors or so) there is not a view of anything, but we weren't in the room except to sleep and then one evening we went back sorta early (8-ish). I will definitely stay here again when we return to the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 324 and it was nice. Did not hear any noise from the street at all, but it is on a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Scarlettgirl28,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Inner-Harbor on your recent visit to the area. Our goal is to exceed expectations for each guest that passes through our doors. I am pleased to see we accomplished our goal during your time with us. We can't thank you enough for recognizing our entire staff and specifically Nasur and Antoinette as they are tremendous assets to our hotel. It would be our pleasure to be your host hotel for any future visits to Baltimore. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.

Thank you, and I hope to see you again soon!

Ryan Urgo

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor? Share your experiences!