“Great value for the money- housekeeping drags it down” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Vernon Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mount Vernon Hotel to your Saves list
Mount Vernon Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   24 West Franklin Street, Baltimore, MD 21201 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Baltimore
virginia
“Great value for the money- housekeeping drags it down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I "won" this hotel on Hotwire for a very cheap rate and was very anxious (okay I panicked!) after reading the reviews. I was hoping for something closer to the Inner Harbor and we normally stay at more modern hotels. For the price it was a fabulous bargain. It's about a mile from the Inner Harbor but it's a quick walk down Charles Street or there's a free bus (Charm City Circulator) that stops around the corner.

The hotel itself is historic and relatively charming. Our room was large and decent. It was clean when we checked in. We were there for two nights and, upon retuning to our room the second night, we found that the housekeeping staff had taken all the dirty towels but did not replenish them. Also, the only trash can in the room is a small one in the bathroom- that was not emptied. The shampoo was not replenished and the coffee that was replenished was decaf. It was pretty strange. So we called down for towels. Other than that, it was a good stay.

The neighborhood is not bad but if you venture a few blocks west (Lexington Market area) it gets a little sketchy. We chose to use the free bus over the light rail because we felt the stops were in safer neighborhoods.

The parking lot across from the hotel at 15 West Franklin was $10 per night which I thought was a bargain. Well lit and appeared very safe.

The breakfast was ample (it was free so I can't complain). They have hot food options (pancakes one day, French toast the next), eggs, bacon, sausage and home fries. They also have bagels, bread for toast, Danishes, muffins and yogurt. I found the coffee to be decent.

Overall, I felt this was essentially a free hotel room, as I paid about what breakfast may have cost for my family for the room. And the parking cost was so much less than it would have cost in the inner harbor. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Guildford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed one night at Mount Vernon Hotel on Franklin St West, Baltimore on 9 November 2012. The location is central and ideal for walking to the Harbour as well as bars and restaurants. Charles St is a main north-south thoroughfare and is one minute's walk away so ideal for buses to Towson Town Centre.

The rooms are quite large and mine had a bizarre mini corridor before entering the room. Unfortunately the windows were screwed down and although the heating was turned off it still belched heat which made the air stuffy. The staff did, however, provide a fan.

Bathroom was fine and the shower was good. The coffee making machine was good too with real filtered coffee sachets provided.

Breakfast was ok but let down as it was served on plastic trays with plastic plates and cutlery.

The staff were friendly and helpful and allowed me to leave my cases all day until I flew home.

However, my bed must have been invested with bed bugs as I am itching all over which let down an otherwise pleasant stay for the cost of the room (£50 through booking.com). My room in question was 503 so avoid it!

Room Tip: Avoid 503 and any room overlooking the noisy Franklin St West. Ensure that the windows open too!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The lobby and my room both smelled stale and musty. The room appeared clean, though. The free breakfast was completely horrible--eggs that were dried out and crusty, disposable cutlery and cups, watery coffee, etc. The staff were friendly and helpful; and the location is quite convenient. It's perfectly adequate if you're on a tight budget, but I won't go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hot Springs, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The rooms are old, but very comfortable. The WIFI works, and there are good TV channel choices. Service is very good, and if your deal includes breakfast you won't be disappointed. Don't use hotel parking. The public parking deck across the street is cheaper.

• Stayed October 2012
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was a very comfortable hotel at a great price and in a wonderful location!
The good stuff: The staff gave helpful information and recommendations when we asked. The hotel seemed secure and had a security guard at night. The room had comfortable beds and was pretty quiet. The shower was good. The hotel had a lot of character. The location was wonderful--the neighborhood was really fun, charming and felt safe at all hours of the night. We loved walking to tons of great bars/pubs, and just walking to admire the architecture. It was no problem to walk to the Inner Harbor, and even on to Fells Point (but we enjoy walking).
Park your car at the garage across the street from the front door--it was only $8 for Friday-Sunday (hotel charges $15 for thier garage).
The not so great stuff: While the breakfast was very good, it was very slow and they were always out of coffee and hot water. They simply did not have enough on hand and seemed short-staffed in that department. The rooms were a bit worn and could have been cleaner. Just a weird thing for me, but the toilet seats did not have a cover, and I did not like that. I also had to use a hair clip to close the curtains completely to keep light from shining in. Finally, it was really hot, dry air all the time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ellicott City, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

So many bad things about this hotel. My wife and I live near Baltimore and wanted a get-away weekend. We found this hotel through Living Social and decided that the $150 for two nights was a good deal.

Here's the quick and dirty good/bad:

1. Good : Location. Nice neighborhood with many local restaurants
2. Bad : Room. Tiny. Old school 90's carpets (aka dark, but not in a tasteful way)and decor, with a vinyl bathroom, no internet, crappy TV, poor lighting, and a not-so-nice smell.
3. Good : Parking in the hotel (underneath)
4. Bad : Staff. Friendly enough, but they didn't seem to care that we checked in and checked out within 15 minutes of seeing the room.
5. Bad : Manager. What manager, I ask? The hotel doesn't seem to think that it's necessary to have an on-duty manager during the weekends. When I asked to speak with him/her, I was informed that they don't work the weekends. They just call in. Rarely. Apparently, he/she doesn't check voicemails, because I left him/her one to call me back so I can discuss how horrible the room was.

My advice: skip the hotel. They need to renovate their facility and re-train their staff. Spend the extra and try somewhere else. I have stayed in the Marriott (2 out of the 3 nearby locations), Klimpton, and Renaissance hotels. They are markedly better than this wanna-be of a place.

Room Tip: Here's your room tip: DON'T STAY HERE
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am giving it a poor instead of terrible b/c of two things... The staff at the front desk were pleasant & the complimentary breakfast was good w/ a lot of options. Aside from that, the staff on the floor was borderline rude, the room had tons of stains on the bedding & on the floors (possibly b/c they allow pets), but we came home w/ bugs in our luggage. We literally have been praying for months that we had not been infested w/ bed bugs & to this day are still not sure what kind of bugs they were. We put everything in my trunk for weeks trying to suffocate whatever they were w/ heat & keep our stuff out of the house, washed everything once we brought our clothes inside in hot water several times & just bided our time. I sent an email asking if there had been any outbreaks of bed bugs there & never received a return response. The hotel is not in the greatest area of town either, so you had to be careful walking around or getting to transportation to get into Inner Harbor which is not w/in walking distance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mount Vernon Hotel? Share your experiences!