“Overrated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Inner Harbor

Inner Harbor
Baltimore, MD (Inner Harbor)
Improve this listing
Book a Tour

Ranked #5 of 34 activities in Baltimore
Type: Bodies of Water
Activities: Dining, Shopping
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: One of America's oldest seaports dating from the 1600s is today an important landmark and popular tourist destination. Park your car and follow the brick promenade through this bustling complex of eateries, stores, museums, entertainment and children's attractions. Sample the fresh seafood right out of Chesapeake Bay.
Amherst, NH
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

We just returned from visiting Baltimore's Inner Harbor for 3 days. This was our first visit to Baltimore and we were quite excited to arrive since we'd always heard so much about it. However, I have to say by the time we departed, we were very disappointed. It certainly was nothing like we expected. First of all, the whole Inner Harbor area was MUCH smaller than what we expected. I had heard the "shopping was great, lots of shops". We visited the entire area, including all the Inner Harbor malls, and found them to be nothing special whatsoever including the shops across the street at the connecting Renaissance Hotel. The shops were exactly the same ones you see in any mall. The restaurants were also the same way - exactly what we find in other towns - like Cheesecake Factory, etc. Many of the shops were touristy (Baltimore t-shirts, etc) and prices were high. We did not buy a thing, which is very unlike me! Also, the parking fees all around the area are outrageous. We had to pay $18 to park in the afternoon across from the Acquarium (for 4 hours of parking!), then when we went to our hotel, we had to pay another $27 + tax to park overnight at the hotel! So in ONE day we spent almost $50 on parking fees in this city. (at our hotel, the parking came to over $30 per day including the tax) These fees are ridiculous and they are robbing the tourists blind. We came to Baltimore from a week's vacation in Washington DC and we never had to pay fees like that in Washington! The only thing we truly enjoyed at the Inner Harbor was the boat ride. Go down to the water and there are numerous boat rides you can take and enjoy. We wish we had done the "water taxi" ($8 per adult and its good all day long, can take you all over!) - but we were leaving when we discovered it after 3 days. We did enjoy the Duck Boat Ride (land and water) which was about an hour and 1/2 long ... very entertaining and enjoyable ... especially if you have kids! Another disappointment we experienced was their very popular Acquarium. Again, we had often heard how "great" the Baltimore Acquairum was. We found it to be okay, but on a scale of 1 to 10, we would give it a 3. It was MUCH smaller inside than we expected. The exhibits were very small and extremely crowded, so much so, that often you could not see anything! You had to repeatedly stand and wait a long time at each one just to be able to see - and this is difficult for children. It was not worth this hassle at all! We have been to the Boston, MA Acquarium (known as the New England Acquarium) and found it much, much better and much larger than this one in Baltimore! Also, in all honesty, none of these Acquariums compare to the SeaWorld theme parks. If you really want to visit a true acquarium, visit SeaWorld in San Diego, CA, Orlando, FL or San Antonio, TX or Ohio - nothing compares. SeaWorld knows how to do it right, and even with major crowds, its a very comfortable place to view marine life. At SeaWorld you can physically touch and feel the sting rays and dolphins. At the Baltimore Acquarium, you can only "view" them and not get near them. All in all, I'm glad we visited the Inner Harbor/Baltimore to see it one time, but we have no plans to return ... and in fact, we would not recommend the trip to anyone either. It was very expensive to stay there (hotels in the $200+ range per night around the Inner Harbor area), plus with the insane parking fees of $50 for a day, it is just NOT worth the trip at all. I would say save your money and visit another area that is truly what it advertises - like go to Orlando and visit Sea World! Its much cheaper to stay in Orlando (major hotels in Lake Buena Vista or along International Drive near the theme parks with very competitive prices), you don't have parking fees at Orlando hotels (and even at the theme parks, parking is minimal: $7 for the entire day), and there will be much more entertaining things to do with your family - plus Orlando has many upscale new malls and 100% better shopping than Baltimore. If you visit Baltimore's Inner Harbor, be prepared to shell out the $$$ and don't expect alot of anything - there really wasn't much to see. Very overrated and its nothing more than a "tourist trap" in my opinion. Almost a waste of time. Stay on Interstate 95 and go somewhere else instead - like Washington, DC - where everything was free to do - Washington is outstanding!

Aurora, IL
3 attraction reviews
“Great place to hang out & kill time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

Although this was my first visit to Baltimore, I understand the city put a lot of work and capital into gentrifying the I.H. area, which I'm told used to be a scuzzy dive.

Today, however, the place couldn't more inoffensive, with people walking dogs, shopping, eating, and checking out area historical-fun sites (i.e. Constellation, Ft, McHenry, Aquarium, et al). The harbor is also a great place to kill time before a flight home.

Better here than a soul-sucking terminal, I figure.

4 attraction reviews
“Waterfront Delight!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

O.K., I realize the Inner Harbor area is probably the most "touristy" area in Baltimore, but it definitely is worth a visit!

Spend an afternoon strolling through the Baltimore National Aquarium, observe the stunning skyline from atop the World Trade Center, and walk through the many unique shops found inside the Gallery Mall.

Grab a beer at Hooters and enjoy the outdoor balcony that overlooks the Harbor, or try one of the many signature brews at the Capital City Brewing Company, which boasts equally great views.

Chow down at any of of the many waterfront restaurants, and when you've had your fill of the Inner Harbor, hop aboard the local Water Taxi and enjoy the peaceful cruise which will take you to Fells Point, yet another shopping and restaurant hot spot.

A visit to Baltimore wouldn't be complete without a trip to the Inner Harbor. Come see why so many of us are proud to call Baltimore home.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Visitor Center Inner Harbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

On vacations in Baltimore - October 24, 2005

I wanted to do some especific things in Baltimore so I went to the Visitors Center at the Inner Harbor. First time in and I was gladly impresed. Nice people to usher my requests. I got all my information plus a desiere to know more about how nice Baltimore and its people are.

Missouri
22 attraction reviews
“Expensive, but worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

We enjoyed three days at the inner harbor area of Baltimore. I had researched the area, I had read that it was a tourist trap, and so it is, but a very well done one. Everything costs, but I guess it was built to make money. There are very interesting museums, exhibits. The Aquarium is the best I have ever seen, our sail on the Tall Ship, Clipper City, very relaxing. The only complaint I have is that I purchased a Harbor Pass at the visitors center. Some of the places included in the pass were not my intended activities, but I thought I would try them, as long as they came with the pass. I specifically purchased the pass after asking the clerk if that would mean I would bypass ticket lines, and she ensured me that I would present the pass and enter the attractions. At each attraction, I stood in very long ticket lines to present the pass in exchange for a ticket. I guess I saved money overall, , but I would not have visited some of the attractions had I not paid for the pass. They should be a little more informative or honest about the pass.