“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Piedigrotta Bakery

Piedigrotta Bakery
1300 Bank St, Baltimore, MD 21231 (Downtown)
(410) 522-6900
Neighborhood: Downtown
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I were at Johns Hopkins and decide to visit this bakery based on a conversation with a business associate a few weeks prior regarding places to visit while in Baltimore. Do not miss going here -the food was delicious! The owner sat and conversed with along with taking us on a tour of the kitchen -which was immaculate! You feel like you're in someone's home in Italy rather than a restaurant in the city. Top quality ingredients and true Italian cooking at an extremely reasonable price. The variety of food and pastries were unbelieveable -whatelse could one ask for- we'll certainly be returning and passing the word on to family and friends!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
mtnpastor
“Could not believe it! Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I happened to stumble onto the Piedigrotta Bakery one afternoon. I was looking for some good Italian bread and happened to see this place nearby on my GPS. It is a little off the beaten path and I was immediately impressed with the clean, home-like atmosphere. The owner, Antonio, greeted me and I asked about his bread. He immediately sent his daughter to get me a sample. She came out with a small plate of not only bread, but little samples of Italian meat and cheese. Antonio then gave me a tour of his spotless kitchen. I was overwhelmed. He and his family make almost everything they sell, including their delectable gelato. I ended up buying not only bread, but also a couple of their pasta dishes to take home for supper. It was marvelous! The prices are reasonable, even less than what I had expected, and I was treated like family.

Piedigrotta Bakery is not only a bakery. It is also a sit down restaurant (restaurante). I look forward to going back to experience a meal there. I did learn that Antonio does not serve any alcohol there. So, if you like to have a little wine with your meal, BYOB. Antonio does not mind at all. I do not drink, so for me, this is not an issue. If you want some truly wonderful Italian food made and served by some truly friendly people, you won't go wrong at Piedigrotta. By the way, I am visiting from California and wish we had a bakery and restaurant half as good in the area where I live. I do not know what the negative reviews are about, but the food and service that I have received there is excellent!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Worst Tiramisu ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was graving dessert and remembered seeing this place on a drive through the city.
I picked up a serving of Tiramisu and drove home in anticipation to indulge with a cup of cappuccino. This was the worst Tiramisu I have ever tasted. Normally Tiramisu consists of basic ingredients like eggs, mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso coffee, liquor -- brandy, marsala, rum are some of the spirits used -- a little bit of sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate. And usually the ladyfingers are dipped in coffee (or espresso), then layered with the fluffy (whipped) delicious cream.
OK, so this Tiramisu was the complete opposite.
The ladyfingers were completely socked in weak coffee and then layered with a heavy-duty butter cream (tasting more of lard). There was no flavor! It was disgusting because it did not only feel like I was eating a stick of bad butter but at the same time; it was no longer fresh and had a slight sour taste to it.
Sadly to say, it went into the trash. This was a true waste of my $7.
Now I am on my way to Vaccaro's located on the Canton Square and have some real Italian Tiramisu!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
MD
“Premium Prices, Poorest Quality. Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My review is of the bakery. Influenced by positive tripadvisor reviews I decided to go there today. Entering, I was struck by the amount of food color used in the baked goods. Generally this is not a good sign. Still, I persevered. There were no prices posted. I chose a raspberry cake portion (enough for two slices), a plastic container of chocolate wedding cookies (about 3/4 lb), and a sfogliatelle. The sfogliatelle tasted of oil, salt, and vanilla pudding. It was the first to go into the trash, largely uneaten. The raspberry cake truly was inedible. It tasted of the cheapest artificial everything. To the trash bin it is consigned. The cookies were marginally edible. I will give those away to friends who don't care if their cookies never saw a drop of butter. This bakery definitely bears no relation to an authentic Italian bakery! Europeans would not tolerate this amount of artificial ingredients in their foods.

Piedigrotta charges premium prices for the poorest quality. Think of your local bargain supermarket's bakery, and then lower those standards and triple the prices. That is what I got at Piedigrotta. For superior baked goods try the nearby Vaccaro's or, a few more blocks away, Patisserie Poupon. You'll find edible, even tasty, baked goods there. As a Baltimorean, I shudder to think of visitors seeking out Piedigrotta and thinking this is the best Baltimore has to offer. Beware!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Awesome Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Let me start off by saying that Piedigrotta is absolutely amazing. My words won't do enough justice to the quality of the food and desserts here.

I went here for lunch on a Sunday with a group of friends. The lady owner was very nice. We didn't make any reservations and she tried to seat us all as best as she could. I went up to take a look at the food bar and was wowed. Genuine, home-made Italian cuisine (and a lot of it!) made me salivate. I opted for the lunch combo (~$13 for a portion of any three dishes). Actually, everyone in my group went for the lunch combo and so we got a chance to taste everything. If you don't want the lunch combo, you can also try the breads, pizza, or paninis. The food ranged from different kinds of lasagnas to gnocchi, to an assortment of pastas, to spinach pies, to a variety of Italian meats (okay I don't know their names, which is why my words don't do justice). Let me just say this. I think I tried nearly everything, and I thoroughly enjoyed everything.

I was stuffed... but when you look at Piedigrotta's dessert showcase, there is no way you can say no. I had the tiramisu. It was mouthwatering and I savored every bite. I wanted to eat all of their desserts, but I guess I'll have to try them next time.

I used to say that the best Italian food places aren't found in Baltimore's Little Italy. Piedigrotta has made me into a liar...

Visited April 2013