“6lb GROUPER!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thames Street Oyster House

Thames Street Oyster House
1728 Thames Street, Baltimore, MD 21231 (Fells Point)
+1 443-449-7726
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1,673 Restaurants in Baltimore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Baltimore, Maryland
“6lb GROUPER!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My family and I came here to celebrate my birthday and we ordered the specialty 6lb Florida red grouper. We had to order the fish two days in advance because it requires a lot of preparation. It was served with roasted oranges and red onions. It came out really pretty, presentation wise, but we all thought the fish was on the bland side. For appetizers, we tried the octopus which was a little chewy. The lobster mac and cheese was very good. We also ordered 3 types of oysters from the oyster bar. They had a variety of oysters that can be ordered a la carte style. Each oyster cost between $2.50-$3. Our waitress Teresa was very helpful and attentive. She made a lot of recommendations that were spot on. She recommended the bread pudding and said it was evil and she was right. It's one of the best pudding i've ever had. This place is a must try. Would definitely go back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Denver, Colorado
“Great small place must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Wow what can you say, oyster bar, at the bar, with homemade horseradish vodka, for oyster shooters. We had one it was quite memorable. The fresh seafood was fantastic, the lunch we had was top notch. The place was clean, the service was outstanding, $$$.

Visited April 2013
Alexandria, VA
“Superb fresh seafood; wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The seafood here is extraordinary: the raw bar always as 10-14 types of oyster available: some local from the Chesapeake, others from New England and other places, but all incredibly fresh. I haven't eaten a raw oyster for 40 years, after a bad experience, but took the chance to sample one this time; I'm now a confirmed oyster lover (if eating here). My husband had three different types: all delicious, but each with a unique flavor.

In addition to the oysters, we had the mussels, which were very good: not the best we've had, although the broth alone is worth the order: wonderful flavor and not too much butter or oil.
Entrees were monkfish, prepared with potato gnocchi and brussels sprouts: delicious, but a little heavy for a spring dinner and John Dory filet with orange segments and razor clams, served over grilled asparagus: quite delicious, light, and fresh.
The hostesses and servers were all friendly and very helpful. The upstairs dining room is small, but it did not feel crowded and it was quiet enough to talk easily. We can't wait to go back and sample more of this marvelous fresh and well-prepared seafood!

Visited April 2013
Moorestown, NJ
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Long time established in harbor, but never tried it. There must have been a dozen different kinds of oysters to choose from. Chowder fantastic, lobster role fantastic - price was fantastic! If I could give our friendly and knowledgeable server a 7 that would be too low. Don't leave this city without trying it - did I say Fantastic? ...and oyster house charm to boot!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aiken, South Carolina
“Amazing Rhode Island Quahog Chowder; Queen Anne Shellfish Tower and the oysters, oh the oysters!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This amazing little gem is just a hop and a skip off the water taxi stop, near Fell's Point. It's small, and crowded, so get here early (5:30ish) if you want a spot! Great service and friendly people.

I'd thought oysters were oysters, until I had the oysters here. The seared yellowfin tuna we had was tiny...but delicious...but super tiny portion-wise. It was 25.00, and think of "sashimi" in both size and portion. Yeah, I'd recommend it if you don't mind the price, but it's not really much of an appetizer, even just for one. The Queen Anne Shellfhish Tower $45 (8 oysters, 4 clams, 4, crab claws, 2 shrimp, and half a lobster tail), I split with hubby, and it was enough for both of us as a sort of side-dish, but we also both had chowder. The shellfish tower is yummy and gives you a chance to try a few different types of shellfish. The chowder we had was the Rhode Island Quahog chowder, and the broth was soooo delicious! Many, many quahogs probably went into that chowder, and it was worth it! =)

The most awesome thing though, were the oysters. There were so many different kinds, and PEI oysters were good, the RI ones were good, as were the VA and MA ones...They all taste quite different (I was surprised; I thought they'd taste very similar), but all very yummy! You won't be able to tell much of a difference if you just swallow the whole thing and knock it back with water or beer. You need to put it in your mouth, let it cover your tongue, and then sort of smush it with your tongue to get the whole flavor profile of it. If you do it this way, you'll be able to tell the differences pretty easily. I don't recall the names of all of them anymore, but you order them by piece, and they range from about $1.50-$3.00 a pop. If I could do it all over again, I'd get the chowder, the shellfish tower, and order a ton more oysters! This was a lot of fun for me, because it was an entirely new flavor experience I hadn't done before.

• Visited April 2013