“Very good but not Excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at The Black Olive

You added Inn at The Black Olive to your Saves list
Inn at The Black Olive
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   803 South Caroline St, Fells Point, Baltimore, MD 21231   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #4 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Lansing, Michigan
“Very good but not Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at the Inn recently. After spending the previous five nights in historic hotels and bed and breakfasts, the Inn was a fun change with its large rooms and contemporary design.The location is perfect for exploring the Inner Harbor area, Little Italy and Fell's Point on foot. On the downside, our room was without soap, tissues, coffee or the complimentary water and wine. Also, the green film on the windows was a little off-putting. We walked into the room in the late afternoon and immediately were assaulted by a very strong smell of cleaner and the room was bathed in an eerie green light. The overall effect was rather toxic. I'm hoping we caught the Inn on an off day so we will give them another try and stay there on a future visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

An eclectic establishment especially suitable to anyone not looking for a cookie-cutter type of hotel experience. Excellent service, beautiful facility, extremely large rooms, well appointed, spotless, slight bohemian feel, especially with the various forms of art on the walls of the rooms and halls. Incredibly comfortable beds. Would likely stay nowhere else in Baltimore.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Since writing my first review of the Inn at The Black Olive in July, I've returned to Baltimore and stayed at the hotel three more times. Each time I've visited was as enjoyable as the first time, and just as wonderful.

I don't want to repeat my previous review, but I'd like to enhance it with additional information and reaffirm that the fabulous experience I had at Inn at The Black Olive was no fluke... Dimitris and his team know exactly what it takes to ensure hotel guests have a tremendous experience at their hotel, and they roll out the red carpet for each guest, every time.

The staff at the hotel, including the owner Dimitris, AJ, Ahmed, Al, Chris, Joseph and Wassim (I hope I'm spelling that correctly), are experts at customer service! They want your stay to be first class all the way, and will make every conceivable effort to that end. From the moment you check in, you are more than a guest; you are family. This eco-friendly hotel is full of wonderful surprises including:
*hypoallergenic furnishings
*soft rugs colored with eco-friendly vegetable dyes
*supremely comfortable beds with amazingly soft organic linens
*plenty of comfortable pillows (I have a bad back and a not-so-great neck, and I slept so well on this bed with these pillows... highly unusual for me.)
*spacious suites with comfortable and functional furniture, including a dining area and kitchenette
*complimentary bottles of Mountain Valley water and Greek wine in the refrigerator (one each)
*beautiful decorating palette of colors on the walls, enhanced with original artworks
*flat screen TV with Internet (Netflix, Google, etc.)
*large bathrooms with air-jetted tubs, large separate walk-in showers, and fabulous organic bath products
*lots of fluffy, absorbent, organic towels
*a separate WC for privacy
*terrific water pressure and LOTS of hot water
*large closet with wooden hangers, as well as an iron and ironing board
*complimentary WIFI (I get really irked paying $9.95 for WIFI on top of a room charge)

The entire hotel is clean, clean, clean! The Housekeeping Team does a terrific job!

Even if you're not into the "organic" thing (and I'm really not, although I do recycle and I do drive a hybrid SUV), I enjoy quality in anything. The items chosen for the rooms at the Inn at The Black Olive were obviously chosen for their quality and comfort as well as their eco-friendliness. You'll notice the thoughtfulness of the selections in everything you use in the hotel.

On our repeat visits, we were able to try the restaurant on the fifth floor, the Olive Room, through room service. The food we had on our repeat visits was terrific. We had breakfasts, lunch and dinners. The Greek platter of dips was out of this world! The salads, salmon, steak, spinach pie... everything was delicious and beautifully presented. The food arrived quickly and was served hot! Room service is one of my favorite things about staying in a hotel, and Inn at The Black Olive's service was spot on.

The Agora Gourmet Market located on the first floor of the hotel has amazing organic food, including the best BLT I have ever tasted. They also have a nice selection of natural and organic products for bath and body. It's a great place to grab a bite and plan your day in Baltimore. Since the hotel is located right on the harbor, you're in an area full of great things to do. The Inn at The Black Olive's location could not be better... you're close enough to walk to shops, restaurants, the Aquarium, coffeehouses, etc., but you're in a quiet enough area for a good night's sleep. You get the best of both worlds here.

Two reviews of the same hotel might seem excessive, but I hope it conveys how strong of a lasting impression the Inn at The Black Olive has made on me and my family. We are dedicated fans who return every time we are in Baltimore (which is several times a year). It's a bonus that the hotel is owned and managed by Dimitris and his family, as I love supporting local businesses. Even when we are visiting my daughter at Loyola and there are several more convenient hotels closer to the university, we stay at the Inn at The Black Olive, because as far as I'm concerned, there is no better hotel in Baltimore.

Room Tip: Every room in this hotel is amazing! If you have any needs or questions, the helpful staff will do...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here in September 2013, visiting Baltimore for a high school reunion in Dundalk, MD. Inn at The Black Olive is very unique because it's an ecco friendly hotel... and I've never been to a hotel such as this... It's a small botique property and the location is amazing... close to everything in downtown Baltimore... The rooms are VERY LARGE with every amenity that you could think of... You feel like you are in someone's condo... Very homey, with well appointed rooms! And the best part is the staff... The staff is very customer service oriented... Al, at the front desk was just great!... I highly recommend this property and will definitely return. A happy customer from San Diego... SMILE

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently stayed here with for my wedding weekend. And, it was one of the best decisions I made. From the moment, I booked the room, everyone I spoke to was accommodating and very willing to help with questions and suggestions.

I was able to check in early on a Friday afternoon (which was great bcs I had a ton of stuff and my wedding gown). My bridal party (6 bridesmaids, 3 hair/makeup artists) and I got ready here the day of the wedding and the room was very spacious and convenient. The parking lot next door was also an extra perk (the parking in Bmore can be very expensive and this place was a steal).

My fiance/husband stayed here on our wedding night and the front desk did an amazing job decorating/cleaning our room (after I had left for the wedding). It was such a nice surprise!!!

Thank you again Black Olive Inn for making our wedding weekend so enjoyable and EASY!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 4th floor!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fallston, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This place is phenomenal - from the awesome personal service from Dimitris to the kind people at the front desk, everyone makes you feel like family. I stayed there a few weeks ago and the beds are just to die for and the PILLOWS omg awesome. I am extremely picky about where i stay, i always do my "bed bug check" and overall cleanliness and this place get a A+ in my book.

only negative thing would be the internet was a little slow.....but the super clear direct TV is top notch and makes up for it. I have never stayed at a hotel with a abundance of channels like you get here!!!

You must try the tub, if you dont your really missing out. Also the shower is SO BIG you could have a party in there ha ha.

Great job Black Olive!!!! I will be back!

RS

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed summer last year but I wanted to review now because it was a truly unique experience.

I think this hotel stands for things I am passionate about: outstanding service, family values (not corporate greed!), amazing food, care for the environment.

I don't know the owing family, but I asked for the cab driver for the story behind such an unique hotel. During my stay, I was able to feel their generosity, care, over-deliver attitude.

I am from Spain and it felt to me like Southern European warmth, with outstanding american services!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Inn at The Black Olive? Share your experiences!