“Calm understated elegance.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at The Black Olive

Save Saved
You added Inn at The Black Olive to your Saves list
Inn at The Black Olive
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   803 South Caroline St, Fells Point, Baltimore, MD 21231   |
Ranked #4 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
“Calm understated elegance.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great accommodations, spacious and airy with a view of the harbor. Fantastic organic bed and linens and wonderful Turkish towels. Walls felt like Greece, washed and clean, slightly rustic, in an organic way. Extensive tv, Internet, and Netflix and a killer jacuzzi. All in an amazingly green environment. Even great handmade carpets in the suite and organic ales from room service. Smart lighting, huge picture windows, complimentary Greek wine and bottled water. Beautiful bamboo furnishings. Lots of things within walking distance and a terrific flagship restaurant. The dinner at the Black Olive was as good as the accommodation. 3000 bottles of organic wine in the cellar.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Churchton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My fiancé and I celebrated our 1st Year Anniversary at the Inn at the Black Olive. It was !AMAZING! The staff was friendly and professional. The room was perfect for our occasion, especially the view, the whirlpool tub and extremely comfortable bed. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I found the Inn at the Black Olive through Trip Advisor, so I thought I'd give it a try. My daughter is moving to Baltimore to attend college at Loyola, and we were coming out for orientation. For a four day trip, I wanted some space and comfort.
I'm a bit of a hotel brat, and have stayed in some of the finest hotels around the world. With two kids in college, the hotel budget is smaller, but the bratty expectations are still there, so I am challenged to find high standards at good prices. The Inn at the Black Olive made this hotel brat a very happy person.
Upon arrival, I was intrigued by the small check-in area, with the small cafe next to the area, and wasn't entirely sure what to think. My check in was a breeze, and AJ took me to my suite on the fourth floor. The rooms were enormous! I was impressed by the rugs made with vegetable dyes, the hypoallergenic furnishings, the thoughtful (and free!) bottle of Mountain Vally water (my favorite) and a bottle of Greek wine chilling in the small refrigerator, the spacious bedroom and the colorful artwork. AJ gave an interesting explanation of the attributes of the mineral coloring in the walls, the art, and the other characteristics of the rooms. And the bathroom! A huge air jet tub, large enough for two, and the air jets made the spa bubbles ensuring no nasty recycled jacuzzi water was in this tub. And there was a separate shower that was also enormous. Great water pressure, organic bath products including a fabulous bubble bath, and separate WC for privacy. The towels were plentiful and thick.
Other pluses:
Valet parking is just $25 for the LENGTH OF YOUR STAY! Not per night. And your car is brought around very quickly.
No carpet! I loved the oasis of the rugs, and no carpets meant cleaner floors, less allergens, and no stuff that gets trapped in carpets.
Comfortable platform beds with lovely but firm mattresses. Great pillows, too.
Large closet and plenty of nice wooden hangers.
Delicious coffee and a coffee maker that actually worked.
First class service! The staff, including AJ, Ahmed, Al, Chris, and Joseph were amazing! If I needed something, they were right there. One night I had to make a CVS run about 11:15 pm. Rather than send me out at night, one of the staff took me in their car and waited for me to make my purchase. You just don't find service like this anymore!

One afternoon, the owner, Dimitris was in the lobby, and he inquired about my stay. I was telling him how pleased I was, then I figured out to whom I was speaking. Dimitris was so gracious, asking if I needed anything, and thanking me for selecting his hotel for my stay. You can tell the guests are appreciated at the Inn at the Black Olive.

Overall, this is the place I will stay in Baltimore. I already have reservations for move-in weekend and Parents' Weekend at the university. The uniqueness, cleanliness, attention to detail, friendliness of staff and top-notch service have sold me on the Inn at the Black Olive. I used to wrinkle my nose at small boutique hotels, but not this one. When I return to the Inn at the Black Olive, which I am eager to do, I know the staff will make me feel welcome and I'll have another wonderfully comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what your needs are for your room, and they will match a room to your needs. Rooms w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My boyfriend chose this hotel for us to stay at during a weekend get away. We were both excited to stay as we read great reviews on line and thought that the organic/eco-friendly concept was neat. We checked in early and our room was ready which was nice. We would soon find out that that was the last thing that wowwed us during the visit. The room was just ok. Poor decorations, poor use of space, no mood lighting, or dimmer switches. The balcony that is advertised is a joke. There was barely enough room for 2 people to stand out there. The inclusion of breakfast was advertised as being included with the stay and this too was a joke. We ordered breakfast which came up 45 minutes later without forks, knives, salt, pepper, katsup- just 2 plates on a big ugly tray. By the time we got our utensils (from a pretty rude and unkempt worker) and condiments, our breakfast was cold. And they were going to charge us until we fought that. I have no idea how this place got so many good
reviews.. Far from it. Thumbs down. Will not return. Will not reccomend.

• Stayed June 2013
Leesburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Fantastic hotel! Very comfortable and large rooms. The staff is very friendly and super helpful. Great place to stay. The bathroom was very nice. Large soaking tub and huge shower. The bed was very comfortable and large.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had a wonderful two night stay at the Inn at the Black Olive. I was traveling with my daughter looking at colleges & found out about the Inn on Trip Advisor. After an absolutely exhausting drive in heavy rain, lots of traffic...6 hours in the car...no one was happier than the two of us to arrive at the Inn. Joseph was warm & welcoming & when he showed us our room..we were giggling with delight! Soothing colors on the walls along with the warmth of oriental carpets, paintings by local artists & beds with brilliant white sheets...What more could you ask for?? Well...the complimentary bottle of amazing wine (I just searched for & bought a case of it here in CT!) hit the spot & we were reassured that our reservation at the Black Olive restaurant was held even though we were hours late. The attention to our comfort & experience continued at dinner where we were delighted by the delicious food - hummus/amazing!!, grilled octopus/amazing!!, etc....We were greeted by the owner of the restaurant - Stelios - & he was charming, attentive & gracious. Just as we were about to leave, it started pouring and Dimitris the son of Stelios and owner of restaurant & Inn, escorted my daughter & I back to the Inn with an umbrella!!! He told us about his family history of hospitality & hotel/restaurant ownership in Greece & how this venture in Baltimore is a dream come true for his family. His passion in those few minutes was palpable & we were so grateful for the chance to meet him.
The room was extremely spacious, spotlessly clean & very comfortable. The bed was amazingly
comfortable, internet worked beautifully & the air quality in the room was also perfect - no smells of food or of anything from outside (and the street is a busy city street). I can't say enough about Joseph & Dimitris & their beautiful smiles, welcoming personalities & attention to us as guests. I HIGHLY recommend the Inn at the Black Olive...if in Baltimore again, it is the only place I would stay. Thank you for a truly lovely experience!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Just had a quick stay at the Inn at the Black Olive. What a truly wonderful hotel. We have travelled to Baltimore quite frequently this past year and have stayed at several different hotels. Granted, I seek and appreciate unique and different places and if you enjoy the same, this is a great option. The bed was amazing. The room was huge. Wifi is free. I would suggest parking in the garage next door as opposed to valet. Cannot say enough nice things about this property and plan to return on our next visit this fall.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear KSP-HHI,
First, I wanted to thank you for your feedback. Our families dream to marry fine food and fine lodging in the tradition of our ancestors is what keeps us going. This also includes forming the personal relationships with guests to provide a service that is different than all the "box" hotels. Our passion and determination comes from the heart. Our entire family which extends to the entire staff of the building takes great pride in their collective work. We take our Trip Advisor reviews as a management directive. We strive to bring a smile to every guest and connect with them to facilitate their agenda during their stay in our wonderful hotel and City! We humbly strive to continue to earn our top ranking and value your feedback tremendously!

If we can assist you with anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact us at concierge@theblackolive.com. Our customer service dedicated team is at your service 24 hours. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours in Service,

Dimitris Spiliadis

Been to Inn at The Black Olive? Share your experiences!